Whether it's astonishing or not, though, it's a clear proof that anyone insisting that QL is oh-so-dead is most likely a spy from some CoD/CS/Halo community whose only goal is to weaken the morale of Quake players ^^
Yeah, don't listen to the failed saboteurs. And whatever you say, tens of millions make a nice number anyhow!
The people who cry that the 'game is dying' are probably looking at all the wrong data. (read: speculating very poorly)
Lets face some basic facts:
- Most gamers don't care for forums, naysayers assume low forum activity = low playercount when the opposite is true, low forum activity usually means less things going wrong and more people busy fragging.
- Most people don't play 'every day'.
- Most people don't play the same game type every day.
- Most people don't play at the same time they did last time. (Timezones, free time, work, school, kids, etc.)
- Most people have a game-rotation. they play Quakelive for a while, then some TF2 for a while, or whatever other games they play, and then loop back around. For others quake is their main game.
- FULL SERVERS DO NOT SHOW UP. (Most naysayers don't realize this, and thus experience a sort of 'nobody playing' illusion.)
- People tend to avoid 'naysayers', as most of them tend to be talkative, whiny annoying twits in game, and servers slowly empty out around them. (This helps the illusion)
- Etc, Etc, Etc..
Combine this with Spakk's post and the info that sponge has told us, and Qlive is actually doing pretty good. And..well, naysayers are still dumb..but that's not news.
Is quake live showing you 'suggestive' ads?[Click] to see why. | STOP crying about people better than you.
Science shows the handheld controller is crap for games.... :P| START learning how to play.
[See why] Microsoft dropped the idea of PC/Xbox interplaying.| [The rest of us did.] :P
Let's take a look at the number of subscribers. There are blue awards now. One kind of interesting.
The Last Laugh
Get more frags than deaths in a game.
* 7 friends (41% of total) have earned this award
* 15485 players (1% of total) have earned this award
I have about 20 friends, all of them subscribers. It's not an absolute fact, but statistically that turns into 37700 subscribers so far. That is at least $900'000 counting everyone at Premium rate.
All the servers are courtesy of unpaid volunteers. Let's say 20 employees have been working on Quake Live for 4 years now. That would be $900 a month each. Overall, a lot of money, but we shouldn't blame them for running a tight ship.