+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: InternetExplorer - Can't install plugin/start play

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar

InternetExplorer - Can't install plugin/start play

1. You will need to have admin rights on the PC.
    2. First right click the plugin download link and use "save as" to make sure you get the file, and then run it yourself, that avoids the 'yellow bar' blocking issue.
    3. After installation of the plugin has completed go back to quakelive.com and if it always seems to think you have not installed the plugin then you must follow 4.onwards :
    4. Double click the bottom edge of the window where it says 'Protected zone'
    5. -> click the 'sites' button.
    6. untick the tickbox about server verification
    7. you need to add http://www.quakelive.com/ to trusted sites (NOT httpS)
    8. refresh or restart, whichever works.

*ruvalr
    i cant seem to play online but everything downloaded ...its telling me before i can play online (mismatched error )..please help i like this game

*Bjorn1211
    I did a Google search and landed here. I was able to find a solution and I would like to share it in hopes to resolve the problem for people with similar cases.

I did the steps above, but it wasn't enough. I was using the 64-bit version of Internet explorer, but after switching to the 32-bit version I was able to finish the installation. Hope this helps get rid of some confusion!

Senior Member z33r0 is on a distinguished road
    i think there is either no or just a limited number of plugins that work with 64 bit version of IE. this renders this version useless for the most of us imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucci View Post
    Nay, you speaketh the truth when you trollth with pure ownage. No mod shall cast his shadow upon your divine aura!

*RaneFire
    I run Windows XP, and have tried all of the above suggestions and from other threads http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...talling-plugin

Basically I found out about QL, I went to the site and installed it using Avant Browser. Everything worked fine, I ran the plugin and it detected on the first go. Then downloaded the whole game perfectly. I played it for a nice 4 days without problems but then it only took 1 thing to stuff it all up... I opened the quakelive page in IE 8 because I had experienced a browser crash earlier that day so thought it might be more stable.

It didn't work so I went back to Avant, but it sent me to the license agreement and I clicked accept, then it asks me to install the plugin again, I ignore it and try to play, but it stopped detecting it so when I tried to play it said it was still downloading game files.

I ran the installer and clicked repair, and went back to the site but it kept giving me the EULA-plugin download loop and tried uninstalling+reinstalling (including restarts and clear cache/cookies) over 50 times in the past 2 days. I've tried many different things each time including the above: added the site to trusted (unticked https) <- this is not the problem.

I hope to find a source of infinite wisdom on these forums because I can't wrap my head around it. I verified that the problem was actually in the reinstall process by simply logging into my account from my laptop (2nd computer) and installing the plugin and game perfectly fine. (Edit: my laptop runs the exact same OS version and security programs.)

I have no idea where any hidden files may be kept because I've searched everywhere, even through my system32 folder (found some PB files and installer). My laptop isn't good for gaming so I want to get this to work on my desktop, I'm looking for a solution other than format+reinstall, because that's my only next option.
    Last edited by RaneFire; 10-09-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: clarification

Member Elvis is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    1. You will need to have admin rights on the PC.
    2. First right click the plugin download link and use "save as" to make sure you get the file, and then run it yourself, that avoids the 'yellow bar' blocking issue.
    3. After installation of the plugin has completed go back to quakelive.com and if it always seems to think you have not installed the plugin then you must follow 4.onwards :
    4. Double click the bottom edge of the window where it says 'Protected zone'
    5. -> click the 'sites' button.
    6. untick the tickbox about server verification
    7. you need to add http://www.quakelive.com/ to trusted sites (NOT httpS)
    8. refresh or restart, whichever works.
    Where can you find a plugin link to right click and save as? The only link provided is the one in the top bar on redirect after the EULA page and you can't right click those links...

See my thread http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...p-to-EULA-page

Member DEATHL0K is on a distinguished road
    There is no "plugin download link" once the plugin has already downloaded and broken the browser.

Now the question is what do we do AFTER the game has already jacked up the IE browser?

It would not download from the start.... never got installed from the website. I'm reformatting, and reimaging the drive back to the previous version. Only reason I was going through all this was because of a failed SSD firmware update. Luckily I have a full image backup from before the QL update when I was playing with zero issues. Now if I can't update with that image, the quake live site is FUBAR and I'll be a total loss for ideas. About 25min left on my recovery.

I fixed my issues. Long story and I'm not sure what it was exactly...

Junior Member luna2410 is on a distinguished road
    When i save the msi file and run it manually it tells me that it can't read the file. So, i think we need to know exactly what files it needs to install and where. Basically it seems to be an issue with the windows installer and win 7 and the 64 bit version... or some weird mix of these things. Unfortunately it can not be fixed by using another browser ( i tried them all.....) or the mentioned thing with the trusted zone. That just makes the game log out all the time and go nowhere.

+ Reply to Thread