+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No or bad challenge for address

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar

No or bad challenge for address

1. If on windows try Start -> Run
      Type "CMD" and hit the ENTER button,
      Type "route /f" (This will flush your routingtable)
    2. Try adding
      64.127.102.228 xmpp.quakelive.com
      To your HOSTS file, don't forget if you do this as if it fails again later, the DNS has changed, and you would need to update the IP in your hosts file again.
    3. If you have more than one network interface in your machine try disabling all but your internet facing one that you will be attempting to play via. (that includes bluetooth/firewire interfaces etc)
    4. Try adding port forwarding for port 5222 on your router to your PC.
    5. It is possible your router is incompatible with Vista/win7 advanced networking :

Some poor quality routers (not always meaning cheap) lock up or have problems with TCP auto tuning, they don't like large TCP receive windows that vista/7 can allow, so you can try various options (in bold) to limit the size.
      If your having problems with quake you can try one of these in an administrator level cmd prompt (start-> type cmd, hold left ctrl+left shift then hit enter for admin prompt).

If it has no effect or makes things worse, then I recommend you reset it to the default.

(in order of restrictiveness) :

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled disable auto-tuning
      netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=highlyrestricted
      netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=restricted
      netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal this is the default
      netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=experimental allow super large windows, if your router has problems as it is, this would make it worse. Just listed for completeness.

netsh interface tcp show global shows current state
    6. If the above steps fail, try temporarily connecting your computer to the internet WITHOUT the router, if this works then your router is at fault, if 1,4 and 5 all failed to help then consider buying/borrowing a replacement.

*AMarshall
    I tried these and it didnt seem to have any effect. I can sometimes get on a game but most of the time it says no or bad challenge. Even if i get on a game then exit and try and go back on the same game seconds later.

*ndh
    I remember now, none of these steps helped me, the only thing that worked for me is to add
    127.0.0.1 update.quake3arena.com
    to the HOSTS file. It used to be like this on win2k, and it's the same on XP now, but I do still have the same very old router.

*AMITME
    Quote Originally Posted by ndh View Post
    I remember now, none of these steps helped me, the only thing that worked for me is to add
    127.0.0.1 update.quake3arena.com
    to the HOSTS file. It used to be like this on win2k, and it's the same on XP now, but I do still have the same very old router.
    HOW DO U ADD 127.0.0.1 update.quake3arena.com TO HOST FILE.

PLS HELP

*p4dr3m4r10
    damit still not helping. Tried to Edit HOSTS with no effect gess ill have to play someting else

*TdR
    Just type "Reconnect" in console! It works for me!

*stevostud007
    Quote Originally Posted by TdR View Post
    Just type "Reconnect" in console! It works for me!
    Yes I get this every time I connect to a server, but as TdR says when you get the message "No or bad challenge for address", press the tilde key to bring up the console, type "reconnect" without the quotes and it should connect you to the server. Works for me everytime.

*SheEVIL
    "Try adding
    64.127.102.228 xmpp.quakelive.com " ! how i do that ??

*Freez00r

Angry

Funny part is that i cant join any servers at all , done EVERY thing i could find on the forums , and no budge :[ HOSTS file Edited , ports forwarded, restarted 3 times , still can't ping xmmp.quakelive and the reconnect trick does not work.
    The thing is , that it goes up to ... 100 and beyond that passed 155 >_> and stil no challenge ... Im dumbfounded.
    And pining the "xmpp.quakelive.com" goes the same as for Internalsi @ the 5222 port problem thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internalsi View Post
    I did the ping and it shows me i got 100% lost of packages how can i fix it, i got 15 mbit conn

Code:
    Pinging xmpp.quakelive.com [64.127.102.228] with 32 bytes of
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.127.102.228:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    Im freaking out right now, most of the times i resolve my Connection problems within an hour...

EDIT : If it helps , the game sais that i should play the training before i play online , but i passeed it a couple of times already.
    Last edited by Freez00r; 09-02-2010 at 02:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread