+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: QuakeLive / FireFox crash after closing/joining 2nd game

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar

QuakeLive / FireFox crash after closing/joining 2nd game

If you have an nvidia card then the likely solution is :
    Quakelive uses OpenGL, nvidia introduced OpenGL 3.3 with their 197.13 drivers that were pushed to windows update.

the OpenGL 3.3 support in that version has bugs which come to light with quakelive, causing problems after any initial run of the game client.

The solution is to use earlier nvidia drivers (195.81 or older), or 197.25 or later.
    If you do not have an nvidia card then at this point I can only suggest either trying internet explorer instead, or backing up your firefox bookmarks, completely removing firefox, reinstall firefox and quakelive only. Try the game then.
    Various plugins or extensions can cause problems that cause firefox to not terminate correctly, or slowly wind down to a crawl.

edit: also (especially for users of the newer 250.xx and 260.xx drivers, but this may work with older ones too) -

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    If you have an Nvidia graphics card, and you have this specific problem ( able to load the game once, then when you quit, and then trying to load the game again causes a crash, browser restart and youy can play again) try this -

Go to :

Nvidia control pannel ->
    Manage 3d settings ->
    Program Settings ->

Find the web browsers you play quakelive with (internet explorer, firefox, chome, opera) and set

"Threaded Optimization" to OFF

This has solved this problem for me since it started to happen again with the most recent drivers, and does not negatively effect quakelive's 3d performance.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 11-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Junior Member nomme is on a distinguished road
    I can't seem to get rid of this problem.
    I use:
    Win7 64bit
    Firefox 3.6.8
    GPU: Nvidia 7900 GTX with driver 258.96
    According to the GPU specification the card only supports OpenGL 2.0

Has anyone else had similar problems and in that case, any solution?

*Cyb3rD0n_NL
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    If you do not have an nvidia card then at this point I can only suggest either trying internet explorer instead, or backing up your firefox bookmarks, completely removing firefox, reinstall firefox and quakelive only. Try the game then.
    I'm not bloody rebuilding/reconfiguring my computer just to play a game! It's like saying "in order to use this GPS Navigation you can pull out the engine of your car, strip it, put it back together, reinstall it and maybe it works. If it doesn't work, use another brand of car". Get real and find an actual solution...

Junior Member cTn is on a distinguished road
    This issue is still present in (at the moment latest) nvidia drivers
    260.89 BETA (testing)
    260.63 BETA
    260.52 BETA

Quake Live works properly with
    258.96 WHQL (works pretty decent, only few crashes)
    197.45 WHQL (however this driver has problems with in game stuttering and movie stuttering that are accelerated via DXVA)

But this isn't a solution, downgrade to so old drivers result in big incompatibility with newer games (and i am not playing only QL)
    I will update this list as soon as there are any new drivers from nvidia that i could test
    Last edited by cTn; 10-15-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Junior Member blackf1re_ is on a distinguished road
    This need to be fixed asap...

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyb3rD0n_NL View Post
    I'm not bloody rebuilding/reconfiguring my computer just to play a game! It's like saying "in order to use this GPS Navigation you can pull out the engine of your car, strip it, put it back together, reinstall it and maybe it works. If it doesn't work, use another brand of car". Get real and find an actual solution...
    how about dont be an *******. these people are going out of their way to fix YOUR problem, not theirs, and youre being a ******. if you dont like the ONLY solution available currently, say so, and dont fix it. try being respectful to people who are going out of their way to help you.

you wouldnt have to "rebuild/reconfigure your computer just to play a game". its more like if you installed a small shelf for your GPS, and it didnt work, so you had to reinstall that shelf. back up your configs, your bookmarks, your settings, and reinstall. not that big a deal and you can restore all your **** after. maybe a 10 minute process, if that.

Junior Member cTn is on a distinguished road
    so still no change regarding this issue? interesting

Junior Member POPEYE_tsm is on a distinguished road
    hear hear kittenignition. Comparing with a car engine.... lol. He must be new to computers

Banned CooloutAC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    This just started happening to me now. was fine all throughout beta... and since i been playing up until a couple days ago. Now it just always constantly crashes when joining or exiting a game. Exactly as the thread says.

I uninstalled and changed vid drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled firefox and quake plug in. don't know what happened, but nothing worked.

Member Tydeus is on a distinguished road
    Same here, crashing all the time since the update recently. very annoying. tried different drivers with no luck.

+ Reply to Thread