Grey/Black Screen as game tries to start
If you are suffering a grey screen as the game client tries to load, or the message - GLW_CreateWindow:could not register window class:
This is commonly caused by one or more of the following:
- Incompatible video card
- OpenGL ICD crash
- Please try rebooting your system
- No OpenGL system installed, or corrupted
- please (re) install graphics drivers from your card manufacturer (eg ATI/Nvidia/Intel) and not from Windows Update as they do not contain the OpenGL ICD.
- Incompatible resolution for current display monitor
- Please use the website -> game settings to select 640x480, and then try the game, then use the in game menu (press escape) to select the actual resolution you wish to play.
- If that fails please try website -> Settings -> reset to default
- If that fails please locate your config files, If you have manually created .cfg files or used /writeconfig autoexec you will have to go through them and remove r_mode and r_displayrefresh settings, or move / remove all .cfg files from that folder, then use the website -> Settings -> reset to default. This is important as a created cfg may be overriding the website setting.
- do you use an intel x3100 card?
If so it happens when aero dies, I don't know of any way to solve it, other than try older drivers, or vista drivers. (I have an x3100 laptop with this problem)
This can be proven by going into windowed mode, and running the win7 troubleshooter (type in troubleshoot in the start menu) and choosing 'display aero desktop effects' when run it will force aero to restart and you will be able to see the game until it drops out again.
Or in an admin level command prompt:
Or If you want to try intel vista drivers I would go back to win7 ones whenever they release a new version (it's been nearly a year, I'm sure they will at some point)
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms
Last edited by Yakumo; 12-19-2010 at 02:54 PM.