Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey/Black Screen as game tries to start

Hybrid View

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar

Grey/Black Screen as game tries to start

If you are suffering a grey screen as the game client tries to load, or the message - GLW_CreateWindow:could not register window class:

If you are not worried about losing your in game settings, go to http://www.quakelive.com, login, go to Account Settings, and reset your config to default settings. Otherwise, read on ...
    This is commonly caused by one or more of the following:
    1. Incompatible resolution for current display monitor (most common problem)

If you wish to retain your settings -
      1. Close the game entirely and any error message
      2. Locate your config files by copying and pasting the following exactly into start->>run or a windows explorer address bar
        Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
        Vista/win7/8 -
        %AppData%\..\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
        XP -
        %appdata%\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
      3. Edit qzconfig.cfg and remove r_mode, r_windowedMode, r_displayRefresh settings, or set them to -2 (for native desktop resolution)
      4. Start the game launcher and play.
    2. If you have manually created by hand .cfg files or used the console command "/writeconfig autoexec" and do not want to remove your file, you will have to go through them and find and remove r_mode and r_displayrefresh settings
      1. in qzconfig.cfg and any other cfg remove r_mode and r_windowedMode settings, or set them to -2 (for native desktop resolution)
        If opening a file that already exists, you'll need a linux format capable text editor such as Wordpad (built into Windows), or notepad++ (free) , NOT the regular "Notepad" that comes with Windows as that will show a garbled file with no line breaks.
      2. This should get you back in game where you can use the menus to select the resolution you want again.
      3. If that fails please read the reset your config to default properly following the instructions at the top of this thread.
    3. Incompatible video card

QuakeLive requires an OpenGL capable graphics card, please see the System Requirements
    4. OpenGL ICD crash

Please try rebooting your system
    5. No OpenGL system installed, or corrupted

Please (re) install graphics drivers from your card manufacturer (eg ATI/Nvidia/Intel) and not from Windows Update as they do not contain the OpenGL ICD.

• do you use an intel x3100 card?

If so it happens when aero dies, I don't know of any way to solve it, other than try older drivers, or vista drivers. (I have an x3100 laptop with this problem)

This can be proven by going into windowed mode, and running the win7 troubleshooter (type in troubleshoot in the start menu) and choosing 'display aero desktop effects' when run it will force aero to restart and you will be able to see the game until it drops out again.

Or in an admin level command prompt:

net stop uxsms
      net start uxsms
      Or If you want to try intel vista drivers I would go back to win7 ones whenever they release a new version (it's been nearly a year, I'm sure they will at some point)
    Last edited by Xaero; 07-11-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Member xxguestxx is on a distinguished road
    If everything was working fine for everyone before this latest release...then what is it that you have changed?...why would video cards be incompatible now when they were working beforehand? I dont see any real change to the graphics enough to justify cards becoming incompatible all of a sudden...

*seeohtee
    Firefox 3.6.8 on Ubuntu 10.04, integrated Intel graphics, QL crashes the browser often on startup.

If it were a driver incompatibility, how come a) it worked fine before the update b) after crashing a few times, once I'm in it works fine w/o any risk of crashing again after map reloads, etc.

I don't think it's the fresh browser load, either, as firefox is opening all the same tabs after restarting. very odd and annoying. the 15s ad is bad enough, but 15s + crash + rinse and repeat a few times before starting is pretty obnoxious.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    I've heard reports that something to do with some of the adverts is causing pre game crashes on some linux systems atm :/

Junior Member UbuntuDeath is on a distinguished road
    my browser crashes after the advert - haven't been able to play since update - Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.4

Member xanddd is an unknown quantity at this point
    None of this works for me my game was 100% fine before. ever since update I get this problem. Why do you suggest that its my graphics card all of a sudden? everything worked just fine its obviously something with the update. I also dont apreciate you closing my thread especially since this crap doesnt even work for me.
    Last edited by xanddd; 08-10-2010 at 04:35 PM.

*seeohtee

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    I've heard reports that something to do with some of the adverts is causing pre game crashes on some linux systems atm :/
    Bummer. If I start firefox from a console, once I connect to quakelive.com it pipes back

Code:
    seeohtee@OfficeDesktop:/media$ firefox
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/seeohtee/.mozilla/firefox/g2s4pp1h.default/extensions/quakeliveplugin@idsoftware.com/plugins/npquakelive.x64.so [/home/seeohtee/.mozilla/firefox/g2s4pp1h.default/extensions/quakeliveplugin@idsoftware.com/plugins/npquakelive.x64.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
    NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing down
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/seeohtee/.mozilla/firefox/g2s4pp1h.default/extensions/quakeliveplugin@idsoftware.com/plugins/npquakelive.x64.so [/home/seeohtee/.mozilla/firefox/g2s4pp1h.default/extensions/quakeliveplugin@idsoftware.com/plugins/npquakelive.x64.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64]
    It looks like the 64 bit plugin is trying to load and failing? Not sure if that's a problem on its own, but odd that it seems to have installed both.

I pick a game and click, don't see anything until the ad is done, then once it's done it crashes, and at the console I get

Code:
    ###!!! ABORT: X_ChangePointerControl: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation); 4 requests ago: file nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 182
    UNKNOWN [/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/libxul.so +0x001EB206]
    UNKNOWN [/usr/lib/libbonoboui-2.so.0 +0x00020D34]
    _XError+0x00000109 [/usr/lib/libX11.so.6 +0x0003B299]
    UNKNOWN [/usr/lib/libX11.so.6 +0x0004192F]
    _XEventsQueued+0x00000056 [/usr/lib/libX11.so.6 +0x00042356]
    XPending+0x00000068 [/usr/lib/libX11.so.6 +0x0002AA68]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x000E989E]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x000FC066]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x00089351]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x00089B0B]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x00122B1A]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x00062672]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/cgamei386.so +0x0003D58B]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x00061963]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x00077244]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x000774AC]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x00074545]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x0008A7A1]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x000FBE51]
    coreMain+0x00000074 [/home/seeohtee/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/quakelive.i386.so +0x000FE294]
    UNKNOWN [/home/seeohtee/.mozilla/firefox/g2s4pp1h.default/extensions/quakeliveplugin@idsoftware.com/plugins/npquakelive.i386.so +0x0002C55C]
    UNKNOWN [/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 +0x0000596E]
    Aborted
    Is this an X11 mouse issue? Maybe a bug introduced in making the ad clickable or letting it take mouse control then passing it to the game?

*logicalvoid
    Same problem. Firefox crashes right after the map, players, etc. load. Had no problems before the system update.

Senior Member hthurr is on a distinguished road
    I never had this issue prior to the update, so what is different? I have a GeForce 9600 GSO (9 series).. Now when I join in full-screen, the browser blinks (it will turn a gray color) and the task-bar starts showing, and I can't click on the game to play It'll happen every day, a few times... Then it mysteriously will start working again after I close QL out a few times and keep attempting to join games in full-screen mode.
    "You are rasist because you are scaried. That right tough guy your scaried." -stradamorin

Off-Topic Forum

*Agitator11
    Quote Originally Posted by hthurr View Post
    I never had this issue prior to the update, so what is different? I have a GeForce 9600 GSO (9 series).. Now when I join in full-screen, the browser blinks (it will turn a gray color) and the task-bar starts showing, and I can't click on the game to play It'll happen every day, a few times... Then it mysteriously will start working again after I close QL out a few times and keep attempting to join games in full-screen mode.
    Same here. This happens in both IE and Firefox. I'm running a GeForce 250 and Vista 64-bit. Also, in IE, I will hear the game, but the game window never launches.

Closed Thread