+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Low FPS problem - 'Computer should handle game fine.'

Junior Member Chibo is on a distinguished road
    Just dug out good old Q3 cd, just to check . May be I didn't notice staff before :-) But it does hold 125 fps stable! So its can't be my PC.

Member Meadows is on a distinguished road
    Tchibo, my old caffeinated friend.

Everyone knows it's not the PCs, the fps issues have been there from the start, but don't try telling Yakumo or anything because he'll just say "then go play Q3".

Way to solve a real (and old) issue. Splendid indeed.

Hi Meadows.
    I guess I'll follow his advise. I could put up with 80 ping on Moscow server. But FPS drops does make it completely awful. Not too many Q3 servers left.... Did you sort your mouse out, btw?

Junior Member Jawz is on a distinguished road
    I've had the same issues, on 2 pc's that should hold 125 fps just fine on all maps. I use lightmap, which I've used since quake3 and never had an issue. Quarantine and Asylum are by far the worst maps in terms of FPS loss. Mine dips down as low as 60 fps. When I change to vertex light (which I cant stand), it does get a little better, but still will not hold 125 fps. The 2 video cards in these machines are an 8800GT and a 5870 Radeon .. so 2 different manufacturers with the exact same problem :/

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Almost all of you posting seem to be assuming that this post was to counter FPS complaints since the last patch.

This was to replace the old thread on the issues that was lost, if you know 'all the old fixes' then no, this is not for you, but people with old PC's new to the game can still benefit from them.

Meadows / Chibo 'my computer runs quake3 at 125fps' does not in any way imply that there should be no problem running quakelive, they are not the same game. You might as well say 'my computer runs qtest at 333fps so my machine is fine'.

Not everyone is having issues since the last patch, and if anything added has caused an FPS drop on a machine that was just scraping by before, then every little cvar tweak can help.

Member Meadows is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    Meadows / Chibo 'my computer runs quake3 at 125fps' does not in any way imply that there should be no problem running quakelive, they are not the same game. You might as well say 'my computer runs qtest at 333fps so my machine is fine'.
    They are the same game based on the same engine mechanics. And if my computer plays Q3 at 1000 fps which it likely could, then I really see no reason why it shouldn't manage a petty but stable 125 in QL.

I was interested if someone know better than me what can be done to improve performance or get it back the way it was before update. If there is no advise apart from upgrade, than its OK. But anyway, lots of people having strange feeling about the game after update. And it's strange that same maps used to run fine and now they are not.

*Soekebolluh
    I never had problems since update, yesterday i played with 110-120 fps,, since this morning it dont even reaches 30...
    Tried everything, just wont help *-)
    When i play in browser, its all good, but when i click Play Fullscreen, then FPS drops to 30...

*PsYcHoGluCiN
    Hi quakers HELP ME PLS!
    Always i player QL 90-125fps oll cool!
    Last time when me played QL after 3-5min my FPS going max 30! latter after 5-10min show my fps 1-5??
    I format :/c anyway this problem hate my Quakelive..
    In me CFG "com_maxfps 125"
    Sorry about my english.
    Pls help me remove this Problem!!

U cant send msg for me about delete fps problem QL? psychogliuc1n@mail.ru

Junior Member Murd0r is on a distinguished road
    I have a P4HT 2.8GHz, 768MB DDR1, RADEON 9200SE (128MB DDR1)..

And get 125FPS Flatout in 640x480, picmip 1, lightmap, dynamic lights on etc.

Only maps I don't is asylum and quarantine (dunno about NEW maps as I havnt tested yet).

HOWEVER

I recently stuck another 1GB of ram into my pc (1.5GB now) and added an ATI HD 3650 (512MB DDR2 - AGP)... and I can barely hit 125 fps in any frame rate.

The rest of the pc is flying like a mofo... other games seem to be fine (halflife and q2, q3 blah blah all play fine) but I only want to play quakelive.

I even spent another $60 today on a powersupply that I thought I needed, but don't.

+ Reply to Thread