+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Low FPS problem - 'Computer should handle game fine.'

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar

Low FPS problem - 'Computer should handle game fine.'

First of all please ensure that you install the latest graphics drivers for your graphics card supplied by the chipset manufacturer (eg ATI/NVidia/Intel) and not those offered by Windows Update as they are not fully OpenGL compatible often as required by QuakeLive.

For ex Quake3Arena players expecting the same performance - QuakeLive is not the same as Quake3Arena, much of the code has changed, and some relatively graphically demanding things have been added, Quake3's performance on your machine bears little relevance to QuakeLive's performance.

Some quick things to try, either from the in game menu (press escape), or the console command given -

• Play with a lower resolution - eg \r_mode 9 or r_mode 12 (see the r_modes list )

• Disable Post Processing - r_enablePostProcess "0" in the console

• Try compressed textures (lower required gfx card bandwidth)- r_ext_compressed_textures "1"

• Disable Shadows - cg_shadows "0"

• Try fastpath shaders (not a menu option) - r_ignorefastpath "0"
    • check cl_avidemo is set to "0" (a common accident after demo recording, or cfg tests)
    Last edited by Yakumo; 09-06-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    hahaahah cmon yakumo its funny for that cvars,they are old and every player should know it and you can still find that cvars on net,i played in beta with same configs for over a month played time,mine pc is very good and i know all that stuff which you say and after update fps is crazy.even turn off vertex light,all your cvars are already in my configs for long time.i can playe on default settings with 125 fps in beta.now i tryed on def and its 125 but keeps jumping like crazy....report that to id,they need to fix that

Junior Member rawgue is on a distinguished road
    Tried everything on that list and i still get the same problem, unstable 70-120 depending on map size/action, i think.
    No problems in q3.

amd dual core 3800+
    ati hd 5800 series

Junior Member rawgue is on a distinguished road
    k i've had this problem forever in ql but i couldn't be arsed, now that the game is getting better though i want to play it so i dag out the issue. The problem is horrible vis work by the mappers.

I tested all premium maps:

dismemberment - 125
    deep inside - 125
    dreadful place - almost 125 steady
    focal point - some loss
    hektik - 125
    intervention - 125
    japanese castles - 125 (i loled at the new teleports)
    leviathan - nightmare
    overkill - 125
    phrantic - 125
    purgatory - 125
    realm of steel rats - some loss here and there
    theatre of pain - loss on some areas

devmap, s_showtris, if you can see the entire map from one point of the map, send the mapper packing. Laying a few brushes and some pretty textures ain't mapping. I'll make a seperate thread to get some attention on this.

Thanks and waiting a fix.

Member uchimatamaster is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post

Some quick things to try, from the in game menu, or the console command given -

Play with a lower resolution - eg \r_mode 9 or r_mode 12 (see the r_modes list )

Disable Post Processing - r_enablePostProcess "0" in the console

Try compressed textures (lower required gfx card bandwidth)- r_ext_compressed_textures "1"

Disable Shadows - cg_shadows "0"
    Yeah, didn't work anymore ideas?? How about iD address the problem.

This started occurring after the move from Beta
    Last edited by uchimatamaster; 08-11-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: explanation

Member tokuMi is an unknown quantity at this point
    Chalk it up to software support for different hardware and configurations. I'm running an Intel core 2 duo 2.66, Geforce 9600m (which has 512 MB of GDDR3) and 4 gigs of DDR3 system ram. How the hell could this not run such a simple game at 125 fps? Well it does, most of the time. But there are a few maps that take fps hits. The worst one is Asylum, dipping as low as 40 fps. Is it the fog effect rendered on that map? The OpenGL support needs to be tuned a little better for different cards - most of which are more than capable. Isn't Nvidia supposed to be an iD partner? How could something as current as the 9600m not be important enough to make the cut? This and all the other modern hardware effected should be given a serious revision in the QL engine because something is obviously not right. Will there be further performance enhancements for these devices? Can someone at least tell me that?

Junior Member Chibo is on a distinguished road
    Seems like they added unneeded loop to the code:-). Frame rate jumps from 125 to 60-40 on Longest Yard!!! And it's quake 3 test map!!!!!

Member Meadows is on a distinguished road
    I can attest to the ones speaking before me, the beta ran significantly better framerate-wise, mouse-input-wise and latency-wise, they suddenly ruined everything with this fabled "quakecon update".

*viraptor
    What can I say... I never crossed 80fps during beta, but that's ok - I've got old hardware. Right after the update, I can go down to 20fps on any map, which makes any serious, fast match unplayable.

So - me too!

Ubuntu 9.10, FF 3.6.8

Senior Member AXxXxO is on a distinguished road AXxXxO's Avatar
    well i had 2 configs one of them i was using in beta 2nd one was just waiting for insta so i alreday had cvars from yakump post but i noticed that in darker parts of map fps is stable on light i got double pic,so changed to 2nd cfg add vertex light and fps stayed stable on every map and put mapoveright bits on lw 2nd medium and on triliniar just try form your friend cfg and you will see do you still lose fps but ask player who have stable 125...and its still fault by ql vertex for me is not required and looks like its demandig to had it on...

+ Reply to Thread