+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Recording Guide v2

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarklar View Post
    Allright then. I looked in Google and a bunch of random videos came up with "8 Mbps" in their name. I think those were smart guys testing YouTube quality, so I'll stick with that bitrate

Another guestion:
    Bloom or Anti-Aliasing? I don't know which one to go for, what's your opinion?

On a youtube video you can't even see if the video is AA'd originally or not, even a 720p video's quality is kinda bad.
    i think 8mbps may be a little too high. i think i use 5mbps (default in vegas?)... but yeah, i guess it depends on a lot of things that i dont understand so i dont mess with it.

i would go with AA because bloom just sucks. and bad aliasing is REALLY visible on youtube, no matter what quality. AA is important for longer videos because generally you supply a HQ download as well.

*Domino
    Alright then. I looked in Google and a bunch of random videos came up with "8 Mbps" in their name. I think those were smart guys testing YouTube quality, so I'll stick with that bitrate

Another guestion:
    Bloom or Anti-Aliasing? I don't know which one to go for, what's your opinion?

On a youtube video you can't even see if the video is AA'd originally or not, even a 720p video's quality is kinda bad.
    Don't use bloom in movies. AA and AF is way more important.

Senior Member Marklar is on a distinguished road Marklar's Avatar
    Ok, bloom off.

How about v-sync? Does that make a difference when recording a demo? I guess screen-tearing doesn't have anything to do with it, cl_avidemo probably reads the frames from the memory and writes them on the HDD, right?

*Domino
    Ok, bloom off.

How about v-sync? Does that make a difference when recording a demo? I guess screen-tearing doesn't have anything to do with it, cl_avidemo probably reads the frames from the memory and writes them on the HDD, right?
    It doesn't tear in Screenshots, so don't use vsync.

edit: forget this, I just won't use MeGUI, it doesn't work normally.
    Last edited by Marklar; 08-30-2010 at 10:40 AM.

*Domino
    edit: forget this, I just won't use MeGUI, it doesn't work normally.
    http://www.filefront.com/16856099/For-zero.mp4/

Try this. A little guide i made for what i use to render. There's no talking but you can see what i do.

Thanks, I'll see how that looks on Youtube.
    If I do something with MeGUI I can't open the file in any editor (Vegas, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Virtualdub) and BSPlayer doesn't open it properly (VLC and MPC does, however), that's strange.
    Maybe I'll stick with the Adobe Media Encoder if this doesn't work out. I wanted to use MeGUI so I could make a 40 FPS h.264 file. Both Vegas and Premiere are allowing only ~30 or 50 FPS standard conversions, no 40 fps

*Domino
    Thanks, I'll see how that looks on Youtube.
    If I do something with MeGUI I can't open the file in any editor (Vegas, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Virtualdub) and BSPlayer doesn't open it properly (VLC and MPC does, however), that's strange.
    Maybe I'll stick with the Adobe Media Encoder if this doesn't work out. I wanted to use MeGUI so I could make a 40 FPS h.264 file. Both Vegas and Premiere are allowing only ~30 or 50 FPS standard conversions, no 40 fps
    It should work fine on youtube. it's what i use for all my movies.

You shouldn't use megui and then use it in vegas. Megui is for the final render. it works in VLC and w/e because those are made for playback. Use uncompressed for the whole editing process until you're ready for the final.

Ok, so I took my first 3 demos I sorted and made a quick testvideo. I did exactly as you showed in that video.
    The quality is nice, especially if I set 8 Mbps instead of 5. However, I uploaded the 5 Mbps render and it is really awful on Youtube.
    [deleted]

I figured out btw, that I can open an MeGUI rendered video if I don't mux the audio. Afer muxing, it won't work.

Also, about the uncompressed thing: I want to use a different approach, mostly because I don't have too much free space for a movie project.
    I'd like to cap clips whenever I see a nice situation, so I'm not really working on a movie. I'll just cap every nice moment and store it for later use. I won't store it uncompressed, it's too big. When I have enough clips and feel like it, maybe I'll start working on a movie thingy using those clips I stored.

So I imagined the process like this:
    - 200 FPS cap -> VDub, uncompressed AVI
    - Audacity, cap sound, cut for the video, save it separately
    - MeGUI -> converting the vid with a high bitrate, keeping 200 FPS, storing
    When I got enough clips
    - Vegas, throw everything together, do the rest
    - Render with 40 FPS uncompressed AVI, resample and stuff
    - MeGUI -> converting the vid with a normal bitrate

I don't know these things, so fix me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that if I store my clips in a high bitrate, say 25 Mbps, then when I convert the final render to, like 5 or 8 Mbps, it won't be such a high loss in visuals. Since Youtube is my main "goal", it really doesn't make a difference in MY opinion, but I really don't know, I'm not experienced. So please, teach me if I'm wrong, and I'll think about something else.

One thing I'm not sure about: how would resample look like when I use it on a 200 FPS h.264 compressed vid. I'll continue these tests tomorrow.
    By the way, I really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Marklar; 08-31-2010 at 05:29 AM.

*Domino
    One thing I'm not sure about: how would resample look like when I use it on a 200 FPS h.264 compressed vid. I'll continue these tests tomorrow.

Resample should look the same. it's 200 to a lower fps. going to be the same.

+ Reply to Thread