+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Recording Guide v2

Hybrid View

*Domino

Quake Live Recording Guide v2

Quake Live Demo Recording Tutorial.
    v2

I made this tutorial since my last one is a little outdated and i have a way to make recording easier for you guys.

1. Installing my cfg and ui(ui made by loveless)

Download the files HERE!

Extract these files and place them both in:

XP- %appdata%\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3\
    Vista- %APPDATA%\..\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    w7- C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3
    Linux- $ cd ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3
    Mac- Users\Library\Application Support\QuakeLive\quakelive\home\baseq3

2. Recording clips using the config.

Run a practice game, open the console and type \exec demo and it will load up the config.
    Now while in the practice game run a demo.
    \demo demoname

Here are the keys you can use in my config.

pgup: timescale 1 (normal speed)
    left arrow: timescale up (fast forward..more you press, the faster it will go)
    right arrow: timescale down (slow down...more you press, the slower it will go)
    up arrow: cl_avidemo 200/cg_drawstatus 0/cg_drawFragMessages 1/cg_hudfiles ui/movie.cfg
    downarrow: cl_avidemo 0/cg_drawstatus 1/cg_drawFragMessages 1/cg_hudfiles ui/hud.txt

You can edit the FPS in the binding to whatever you want. you don't have to use 200.

When you find the part of the demo where you want to record just hit the up arrow and let it do its thing.
    When you want to stop recording just hit the down arrow and it will stop recording frames.

You can't record audio using quake live recording, so you have to use audacity or fraps and sync it in a video editor.

3. Converting frames into video

To get to the frames follow the path.

XP- %appdata%\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3\screenshots
    Vista- %APPDATA%\..\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3\screenshots
    w7- C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive\home\baseq3\screenshots
    Linux- $ cd ~/.quakelive/quakelive/home/baseq3/screenshots
    Mac- Users\Library\Application Support\QuakeLive\quakelive\home\baseq3\screenshot s

Open up Vdub (Download Here) and go to video>framerate and change it to whatever you recorded at.
    Then take the 1st screenshot from the screenshot folder and drag it into vdub. It will load ALL of the other frames with it so you dont have to select all.
    Now just pick your desired compression setting and BOOYAH! you got your pretty clip! (i prefer uncompressed so it will look good for when you want to edit it)

NOTE:
    the uncompressed file will play in slow motion, but don't worry!! it's because it's uncompressed and you cant play that kind of file by itself.

Open it in vegas in the framerate you want your movie at.
    These are the following common movie fps:

Only use 24 if you know what you're doing and only want to give it a film type look (along with other effects)
    If you want to use 60 just beware of your system specs. 60 makes the smoothest video.

If you don't know much about it and want a standard fps then go with 30 or 40.

4. Capturing audio

There is no way you can get an audio clip with your capture, so you have to find a separate program to capture it separately and sync it yourself.

Fraps
    Audacity
    Sound Forge

There are more, but those are the most popular.
    Last edited by Domino; 10-14-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Senior Member SmuvMoney is on a distinguished road
    Sweet...glad you got this on the new forum already.

*Asamawa
    I thought you said you wouldn't make another. =p

/topic

Great guide!

*Domino
    Quote Originally Posted by Asamawa View Post
    I thought you said you wouldn't make another. =p

/topic

Great guide!
    I didn't remake it. Someone posted on the forums how to look at cached threads using google. Just copy/pasted it.

*Domino
    my thread doesn't get stickied? cmon it's helped tons of people.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxxyBabee View Post
    my thread doesn't get stickied? cmon it's helped tons of people.
    F1 for Pooh's honey all over this thread...I don't even want to ask why i just thought of that...

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    F1 for Pooh's honey all over this thread...I don't even want to ask why i just thought of that...
    HAHAHAHA I SECOND THAT!

your guide is awesome. saved my ass back when i used quake live + cl_avidemo

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarklar View Post
    Bump, I need some advices.

Is there a cvar to turn off the scoreboard pop-up when I die?

Also, what should I do to make my video look smooth? I mean, I have to convert it to 30 fps eventually, but what can I do to make it look like it had higher fps, like you did with Showdown?
    I'm using Premiere Pro and After Effects btw, so if you could tell me how to do it using AE (motion blur or frame blending or anything), I'd appreciate that.
    i dont think you can turn it off.

just cap at a higher fps, then render with resample or whatever. i think thats how its done...

i think that if you cap at lower than 100fps you shouldnt use resample or anything because it looks terrible.

correct me because i must be wrong somewhere

*Domino
    Bump

Senior Member Marklar is on a distinguished road Marklar's Avatar

Also, what should I do to make my video look smooth? I mean, I have to convert it to 30 fps eventually, but what can I do to make it look like it had higher fps, like you did with Showdown?
    I'm using Premiere Pro and After Effects btw, so if you could tell me how to do it using AE (motion blur or frame blending or anything), I'd appreciate that.

*Domino
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarklar View Post

I've never seen the scoreboard pop up when i die. Are you using my cfg?

I capped at 200fps and rendered 30. Make sure resample is on. If you don't want blur then render 40fps.

I don't do my main editing in AE, so idk how to enable resample in that. I only use AE for certain effects and or post editing.

+ Reply to Thread