+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gamepad/360 controller cfg

*MaxShrek

Gamepad/360 controller cfg

Yeah, I'm one of those people with carpal tunnel so I use the gamepads. Thing is, I've read the help threads, and when I go to the base in console to configure the joystick, I can't add the joystick support. When I tried CTRL*ALT*~ in-game console to configure, it would not catch. I've searched lots of these threads, but I couldn't find a step-by-step instruction to do so (the .html guide was helpful in what I had to type, but it neglected to say how to edit the base).

Anybody have any suggestions or a how-to thread that has specific instructions on how to complete this?

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    Not really. We only have "basic" controller support at the moment.

If you can't get the controller to work via the console (in_joystick 1), you should try the free joy2key software (http://electracode.com/4/joy2key/Joy...%20Version.htm). Its the only free (opensource) softare I know for this purpose. Works good for me.

But there is no real FAQ or HowTo unfortunately. joy2key should work mostly 'out-of-the-box'. I can post my joy2key config/settings when I have access to them again (2-3 days I guess).

Edit: Fixed links.
    Last edited by malk_; 12-21-2010 at 04:00 AM.
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

*MaxShrek
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Even basic support will hopefully make me a little bit more competitive and not just roaming fodder!

Senior Member malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_ will become famous soon enough malk_'s Avatar
    I doubt it

I was curious about gamepad support when I read it was added. I thougt about some unusual control schemes to be still able to perform strafejumps, etc. Unfortunately the gamepad support in QL is kinda hardcoded, so you're stick to movement -> LS, Freelook -> RS. Just like any other console shooter out there. The other buttons can be bound via the menu or via the console (can be a hassle to find out wich joystick key is what (bind joy16 +moveup, or was it joy12??)).

But since that was not what I wanted (I thought about left stick left/right = jump and strafing via trigger buttons) I started to test joy2key. My wanted setup is possible there, but I stopped experimenting after it basically worked. I guess if you put time into it to find a decent setup (like weapon scripts for easy selection, some workaround to do strafejumps, etc) you can play nearly on a casual level. If you have some quake experience you could be fine. But you'd have to be very good with your controller to reach a competetive level.

Please post your results, I always thought I'm the only one thinking that playing QL with a gamepad is at least possible
    "I worked hard to learn to aim where I shouldn't be aiming, I want others to get through this pain too!"
    o . o . o . o

Senior Member infntnub is on a distinguished road infntnub's Avatar
    joy2key worked great for my Super NES and Sega emulators; don't see a reason why it wouldn't work equally well for this.

good luck!
    Quake 3 1.16n Noghost iFreezetag

-UE- .o2o. -g0d- n[2]p foq -end- *pWp* oBs H$ iD aM q3p {DR} *MS* uTk dT |c*|

Great Memories That Will Last A Lifetime :~)

http://www.instalounge.co.nr/

*Mac117
    Can anyone tell me how to set this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac117 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to set this up?
    http://electracode.com/4/joy2key/Joy...%20Version.htm

Download it.

You can basically set up a configuration file for every game (I only use one, for QL) and different joysticks for every configuration file (again, I use one, my XBOX controller).

After that you can assign keys to the joypad buttons. Just use the keys you normally use in QL. That'd work.

Like I said, I think I can upload my configuration (or some screenshots at least) tomorrow.
    o . o . o . o

*Bonneville

Game pad set up

Hi
    I'm trying to use a gamepad for QL, i'm using joy2key but am having problems emulating the mouse, as soon as i touch my view stick, it points to the ground and turns in circles. I've tried every possible config on joy2key with the same results.
    Cheers

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonneville View Post
    Hi
    I'm trying to use a gamepad for QL, i'm using joy2key but am having problems emulating the mouse, as soon as i touch my view stick, it points to the ground and turns in circles. I've tried every possible config on joy2key with the same results.
    Cheers
    Really, I wouldnt even bother:

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/pc/news...32219817514003

Learn to use the mouse and keyboard and you'll be far better off.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoLLeNSKi View Post
    Learn to use the mouse and keyboard and you'll be far better off.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_81GO6TJwxw

+ Reply to Thread