+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred graphics processor problem (Nvidia Optimus)

Junior Member windowmakerr is on a distinguished road

Preferred graphics processor problem (Nvidia Optimus)

I've been having an issue regarding frame rates in Quake live ranging from 25-70 fps during regular gameplay (being quite choppy), whereas in the same conditions the game runs at a stable 125-500 fps (whatever com_maxfps is set to) in Quake III Arena. First off, I know what the problem is. My hybrid graphics system is choosing the crappy Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD video over the coexistent NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M card. I know this because in Quake Live r_lastValidRenderer is set to "Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD" , whereas in Quake 3 it is set to "GeForce GT 330M/PCI/SSE2". I've tried to figure out how to set Quake Live to run using the NVIDIA graphics from within the NVIDIA Control Panel, but since Quake Live runs through the browser and not as an executable (as far as I know), I'm pretty lost. I've tried choosing Chrome.exe (Google Chrome executable) to run using NVIDIA graphics but that didn't help. Thanks to anyone that reads this.

Edit: Tried firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe as well, no difference
    Last edited by windowmakerr; 12-21-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Bump. Anyone know a way to assert the preferred graphics processor for QL?

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    Is there any software that manipulates behavior of videcards switching? I think problem is energy saving mode with Intel Graphics when running firefox but, whoa, you load Quake Live. Try to search any software that allows you to choose automatic videocard switching or where you can specify to use nVidia card when running firefox. I'm talking about this software because manufacturers loves to put some software in the disc
    bind END "quit'

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by windowmakerr View Post
    since Quake Live runs through the browser and not as an executable (as far as I know), I'm pretty lost. I've tried choosing Chrome.exe (Google Chrome executable) to run using NVIDIA graphics but that didn't help. Thanks to anyone that reads this.
    No idea how Chrome runs plugins (some helper executable?), but can you simply try playing with Firefox and changing settings for firefox.exe?

I tried the same method with firefox.exe with the same results. I need to find a way to either force all graphics to run through the NVIDIA GPU temporarily (via hotkey maybe) or to somehow make the GPU activate when it detects the QL plugin is running. I wonder if anyone's encountered similar issues.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Firefox uses a 'plugin-container.exe' check the ram usage of that when you start the QL game client to see if that is being used to host the actual client.

I can't help much until after Chrismtas when I'll have my own nv optimus gear to try out.

Ahh I'll try and enable that plugin-container.exe. Atm I'm having a new problem with all my web browsers either failing to start/failing to play flash, so once I get that fixed I'll try asserting the GPU to that process. Thanks!

When I tried to assert NVIDIA Control Panel to use plugin-container.exe it didn't recognize it as a valid program to render and defaulted to firefox.exe on its own, which I already had in the list.

http://i.min.us/ib0cjA.png
    http://i.min.us/ib0kGg.png

Quake Live still runs on the integrated graphics.

*Icey_Pain
    Not sure if it works, but perhaps you can go to control panel->System->Computer management then disable the Intel integrated graphics card.

Member Cyberstorm is on a distinguished road
    Ive noticed that when I get crap fps my gpu usage is only about 30% and one of my cpu cores is at about 90%-100% usage.

PS - Is this irrelevant?
    Last edited by Cyberstorm; 12-22-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    QUAKE 3 DEFRAG MDD SERVERS
    http://www.q3df.org/server

+ Reply to Thread