+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom .pk3 files

Member feaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thumbs down Custom .pk3 files

We should be able to have own skinned objects

I think that we should be able to have our own skinned weapons in-game or off-game. Or any objects such as the grenade projectile and all the characters of the game. I can see custom Characters being a problem with online gaming but why do we get banned for custom weapons? i mean i don't see why or what the problem is because its just redrawing the weapon and basically coloring it for most people. The encrypting and decrypting of the .pk3 files do show a problem with this. But most weapon skinners love to see their objects used. I think that we should be able to make our own things without being banned.

Also i don't see why we are only allowed to do it within wolfcam. i find it that the whole game. like quake 3, should be able to use weapon skinning just like q3mme where it goes in your baseq3 and it auto loads for the game and for q3mme.
    Last edited by feaz; 12-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.

*MsLandPowa
    F2
    yeah you are right !! We should be able to have custom textures for the maps ! I want to try my new transparent-texture pack for all duels and CA maps.

OMG think before posting... seriously ..

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    wolfcam is standalone id-independent project. What`s wrong with you, people?
    bind END "quit'

*Nerr
    The oblivious answer is that it may potentially be used for cheating, and it's much easier to control if they don't allow custom made content at all.

They could of course allow some things that wouldn't affect the gameplay in any major way, like allowing new skins/textures for the weapon models, or just allow modifications when playing back demos or something, it's probably more work then it's worth though.
    In my opinion they should leave it as it's.

Quote Originally Posted by MsLandPowa View Post
    F2
    yeah you are right !! We should be able to have custom textures for the maps ! I want to try my new transparent-texture pack for all duels and CA maps.

Actually i did think so **** its for video editing and recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerr View Post
    The oblivious answer is that it may potentially be used for cheating, and it's much easier to control if they don't allow custom made content at all.

They could of course allow some things that wouldn't affect the gameplay in any major way, like allowing new skins/textures for the weapon models, or just allow modifications when playing back demos or something, it's probably more work then it's worth though.
    In my opinion they should leave it as it's.

You cant modify textures to make it so it is cheating it is virtually impossible. and it is totally client side not server side so the dependability are on ourselves not id itself.

*Nerr
    Quote Originally Posted by feaz View Post
    You cant modify textures to make it so it is cheating it is virtually impossible.
    Na, cheating might have been a to strong word (at least for textures), but you can gain a smaller advantage which there might be drama on the forum about, there has already been some drama about different configs.. And there might be unforeseen ways of abusing custom textures, it's just much more simple for id to not allow any custom content.

Quote Originally Posted by feaz View Post
    And it is totally client side not server side so the dependability are on ourselves not id itself.
    id tries to control custom content by encrypting the pk3 files and their policy most likely says something about it, server side or not..

Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MsLandPowa View Post
    F2

Well there could still be bsp checksums meaning that your maps would still need to be official. Transparent textures won't be able to be transparent on non-transparent surfaces that the bsp files controls. So no, transparent textures wouldn't work.

A good example is Quake 2... you can easily customise any textures in the game, but you sure as hell can't make non-transparent walls transparent (well, unless you're a hacker )

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    if youre using them for moviemaking, just encrypt them and put them in your baseq3. then dont connect to a server.

*mrkzjn
    If I can add Sarge's Cigar, some blood to the models, maps and pentagrams of course.. otherwise, nope.

+ Reply to Thread