+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing/playing in Windows 7 without administrator privileges

*lhuts

Installing/playing in Windows 7 without administrator privileges

I could only install the Quake Live Firefox plugin and now can only load the plugin by running Firefox with administrator privileges. Trying either without administrator privileges results in the plugin not loading (stuck on the "Starting QUAKE LIVE plugin…"-page).

How can I go about installing/playing without having to start Firefox with administrator privileges every time?

Edit: solution in post #6
    Last edited by lhuts; 12-05-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    don't play @ work? you have to install under admin
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

*lhuts
    It's very inconvenient having to start Firefox as administrator every time I want to play Quake Live. Are you saying this is by design? Surely this can't be how it works.

no i'm saying you need to install the plugin "run as administrator"

Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

*lhuts
    That much is clear. What I'm saying is that installing and, in particular, running the Quake Live plugin only works when I run Firefox as adminstrator. I want to be able to play the game without having to run Firefox as administrator. Do you understand my inconvenience? Do you have to run Firefox as administrator every time you want to play Quake Live or does the plugin load after starting your Firefox normally?

Is there anyone who can solve my problem. Thanks.

*lhuts
    I solved the problem myself.

I'm convinced nobody here cares, but in case someone has the same problem and is looking for a solution:

The source of the problem was the fact that my user name in Windows 7 contains an umlaut. The maps and config files etc are located in the user's home directory. Quake Live apparently can't handle UTF-8 encoding so it created a new folder in C:\Users with a corrupted version of the user name ("รถ" instead of "๖"). This folder had the wrong user permissions which caused the plugin to require administrator privileges for Firefox.

thats actually kinda funny, good thing you got it worked out ;P

Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Junior Member Rene is on a distinguished road
    Thank you very much for your work-around. Now I can play QL in FF w/o granting FF administrator rights everytime.

+ Reply to Thread