+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nailgun improvements

Senior Member EmeraldTiger is on a distinguished road EmeraldTiger's Avatar

Nailgun improvements

Remember about two updates ago, when the nailgun was given some fine-tuning? I can say it is easier to use than it was before the change, but I still think it could use some more improvements. I`ve been thinking for a while now about what exactly could make the nailgun a weapon that would have it`s own unique purpose, rather than just being a rocket-shotgun hybrid. Then I got this idea, and here are some cvars that can be used to test it in practice mode. (These aren`t exactly the same ones I used though)

g_knockback_ng 10
    g_damage_ng 10
    weapon_reload_ng 750

Although changing just three cvars may not seem like much, it would significantly help improve the nailgun, both in how powerful it is and how it could function as a weapon with a special purpose.

I heard there was a gun in the popular FPS Painkiller, called the stake gun. Apparently, the gun shot a spike(s) that would impale the player and push him towards walls or other surfaces with great force. As I thought of this, I immediately knew this would be a perfect function for the nailgun.

Basically, the above settings would give the nailgun significantly increased knockback. It would create a defensive style of play, where if the player is being by pursued by someone, he / she can fire the nailgun at them to push them back, giving them time to retreat. The new nailgun would also fire 25% faster.

Now of course, we don`t want to make it too powerful, right? Well, that`s why the nailgun damage has been reduced - now each nail only does 10 damage instead of 12, to prevent the SG and RL from becoming obselete.

Feel free to use these cvars in practice matches and experiment with them. Perhaps you may find better settings. I had a lot of fun pushing the bots around with the nailgun, and I`d definetely like to see these new settings be made official.

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    Well, not bad. I like this idea. Turning weapon to more useful tool.
    bind END "quit'

Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Wow wall of text.

I've gotta disagree. That gun in Painkiller was entertaining in single player, but I personally hated it multiplayer. Plus, this is a *nail*gun we're talking about here... not a *spear*gun. Massive amounts of knockback also becomes seriously irritating. My suggestion to improve it is rather simple - make the nails bouce one or 2 times more, and make more nails last per bounce:

g_nailbounce 3
    g_nailbouncepercentage 85

That should make it far more useful, especially in tight corridors... the Mega/NG corridor in Base Siege comes to mind. Even if the nail bounce amount isn't increased, at least make the percentage higher, as the NG is most useful when bouncing nails off of surfaces at your enemy.
    Last edited by TheMuffinMan86; 12-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Senior Member sample2501 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldTiger View Post
    Remember about two updates ago, when the nailgun was given some fine-tuning? I can say it is easier to use than it was before the change, but I still think it could use some more improvements. I`ve been thinking for a while now about what exactly could make the nailgun a weapon that would have it`s own unique purpose, rather than just being a rocket-shotgun hybrid. Then I got this idea, and here are some cvars that can be used to test it in practice mode. (These aren`t exactly the same ones I used though)

g_knockback_ng 10
    g_damage_ng 10
    weapon_reload_ng 750

Although changing just three cvars may not seem like much, it would significantly help improve the nailgun, both in how powerful it is and how it could function as a weapon with a special purpose.

I heard there was a gun in the popular FPS Painkiller, called the stake gun. Apparently, the gun shot a spike(s) that would impale the player and push him towards walls or other surfaces with great force. As I thought of this, I immediately knew this would be a perfect function for the nailgun.

Basically, the above settings would give the nailgun significantly increased knockback. It would create a defensive style of play, where if the player is being by pursued by someone, he / she can fire the nailgun at them to push them back, giving them time to retreat. The new nailgun would also fire 25% faster.

Now of course, we don`t want to make it too powerful, right? Well, that`s why the nailgun damage has been reduced - now each nail only does 10 damage instead of 12, to prevent the SG and RL from becoming obselete.

Feel free to use these cvars in practice matches and experiment with them. Perhaps you may find better settings. I had a lot of fun pushing the bots around with the nailgun, and I`d definetely like to see these new settings be made official.

sounds nice, gotta try!
    painkiller.. aww memories <3
    Last edited by malk_; 12-04-2010 at 03:49 AM.

Senior Member xdc is on a distinguished road xdc's Avatar
    nailgun is the only projectile weapon to not have splash damage, & selfknockback
    it wouldnt hurt to add either, besides the bounce is just a gimmick

add a CA devpick:
    nailgun with splash damage(lower to a plasmas splash dmg)

for selfknockback 35% of bullets will explode impact, 65% will bounce. most of that 65% still hits you though, it just travels first - so it wouldnt exactly be like a rocketjump
    Last edited by xdc; 12-04-2010 at 03:25 PM.

*a13xid13acter14
    @EmeraldTiger
    Nice idea.
    I have another if not so nice.
    - NG can destroy armor significantly
    or
    - Armor can make NG bounce
    Last edited by a13xid13acter14; 12-05-2010 at 05:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread