+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cg_projectilenudge works on some but not all servers. also, diff netcode?

Member nuclearsquirrel is on a distinguished road

cg_projectilenudge works on some but not all servers. also, diff netcode?

I don't know what is going on that explains why some servers are vastly different than others, but I noticed a recent change tonight that could explain some weirdness over the past few weeks.

cg_projectilenudge seems to do nothing on the majority of servers I've encountered, but there have been a few that have it working correctly (set to 1000 to confirm, if you see no projectiles it's working).

I have been noticing weirdness with rockets recently that I couldn't explain (I had my projectilenudge left at -50 in my config), but I tried messing with cg_projectilenudge on a server tonight (because my timenudge keeps resetting to 0 also) and I noticed it was actually functioning. This explains why my rockets were feeling so bizarre.

I've also noticed that on these servers, the clients are super smooth when playing with cl_timenudge -20 (which I use all the time). Normally, they stutter as the server snaps them back into place after the client makes prediction errors due to the nudge. I actually prefer the stutter, so when I noticed them moving smoothly I was pretty confused.

But, these changes aren't on every server! I connected to a different server to test it immediately afterward, and cg_projectilenudge didn't work at all. The clients were also skippy again when using cl_timenudge -20.

Are you guys rolling out new netcode to certain servers or is there something else that can explain the massive variance I'm noticing between servers?

The only other explanation I can think of right now is that because of the recent weirdness with saved cvars, something might be going on specifically with my client that is making it function sometimes but not others. I'm pretty good with checking my cvars so I don't think this is it, but I could be wrong.

BONUS BUG for reading my entire post:

NY servers don't show up under USA filter or In Your Vicinity filter (I'm in California). I'm sure you guys are probably already aware of this one.

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    OH MY GOD! THIS IS IT! You are the only guy that knows this weird thing with projectilenudge. All others tells me I'm saying bullpoop. Yes, it was working on all servers but I feel in last games that projectilnudge and unlag in general is almost off for my 100 ping. At least for moscow servers.

And yeah, I'm ready for cg_placebo.
    Last edited by Dowser; 12-01-2010 at 11:44 AM.
    bind END "quit'

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    timenudge doesn't really work well (properly?) on hitscan type weapons, so it's been suggested that it was made easier to enable it for just projectiles, this may be that, or something entirely different to timenudge, I don't know.

My first thought was it was an accidentally user created cvar, but it does autocomplete on a cleaned config, so it definitely is there.

I don't know if it's if it's a boolean (like, set timenudge to only effect projectile weapons yes/no),
    or if it is like the same as timenudge (-20 to +x) but only effecting the weapons,
    or something else entirely

or even if it is meant to do anything at all at this time (like smoothclients which is server side disabled)

I'm trying to find out, bit too busy to try test it out myself atm.

timenudge should be pretty smooth on any server now though since syncerror sorted out the extrapolation the other month, though it copes less well with warpy players than having it off
    Last edited by Yakumo; 12-01-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    Well, firstly do not modify projectilenudge at all. Shoot rocket. You see how rocket flies and hits surface. You see it explodes right after it hits surface. I read unlagged mod faq and there was explanation of their projectilenudge, how does it works. They aware of visual glitch about rockets staying at surface for milliseconds and only then they explode. When I set projectilenudge back in two or three weeks I really felt difference. At first point, rocket jumps are easy to perform, just like in practice mathes, instant rocket feedback, no lag between +attack click and actual shoot. And I have noticed that rockets are visually glitched as described in faq.
    bind END "quit'

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    yeah, it seems to be something undocumented/unfinished, it shouldwork on any server though. and it's not linked to timenudge.

*function9
    I can see the behavior you talk about when setting it to 1000 in a practice/offline match. But I went around to about a dozen servers, none of them behave like projectilenudge is enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    yeah, it seems to be something undocumented/unfinished, it shouldwork on any server though. and it's not linked to timenudge.
    Well, it's clearly undocumented, but there IS a link with timenudge, in that on the servers where projectilenudge is functioning, the timenudge is also smooth. On servers where projectilenudge is NOT functioning, the timenudge is skippy as it was when first implemented.

Also, (and most bizarrely), I made a practice match last night and projectilenudge was functioning. I just made one about 20 minutes ago and it WAS NOT on. It seems to be working sometimes but not others?

Now I'm seriously confused.

Syncerror, please explain? This has massive implications on aim.
    Last edited by nuclearsquirrel; 12-01-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    timenudge doesn't really work well (properly?) on hitscan type weapons, so it's been suggested that it was made easier to enable it for just projectiles, this may be that, or something entirely different to timenudge, I don't know.

My first thought was it was an accidentally user created cvar, but it does autocomplete on a cleaned config, so it definitely is there.

I don't know if it's if it's a boolean (like, set timenudge to only effect projectile weapons yes/no),
    or if it is like the same as timenudge (-20 to +x) but only effecting the weapons,
    or something else entirely

or even if it is meant to do anything at all at this time (like smoothclients which is server side disabled)

I'm trying to find out, bit too busy to try test it out myself atm.

timenudge should be pretty smooth on any server now though since syncerror sorted out the extrapolation the other month, though it copes less well with warpy players than having it off
    Timenudge is supposed to affect the player models, not the weapons. Projectile nudge affects the projectile models (with the exception of grenades, it seems).

By setting timenudge to a negative value, you are forcing the client to predict more, and as the server corrects these predictions the models 'snap' back into place in accordance with the server snapshots, which explains the skippiness. This is shown on the top part of the netgraph. Blue lines mean correctly received snapshots with no adjustments necessary. Yellow lines mean the server corrected the client's prediction.

Projectilenudge, however, seems to either push the projectiles forward (positive value) or backward (negative value). By setting it to a very high value, like 1000, you will see the rocket appear instantly at the impact location. By setting it to a very low value (like -1000) you will see the rocket stay at the location it was fired for 1000 ms before travelling to the impact location. It does NOT affect the actual explosion time. Using either -1000 or 1000 causes the rocket to explode at the same time regardless.

I can understand this behavior and it's fine. What I DO NOT understand is why it works on some servers but not others.

*Disco_Pinata
    Maybe the servers are updated in a way that allows multiple versions to float around during the migration period?

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    It started working on Frankfurt server (where all Poland plays since we have no playable local server, raaaage!) and I have to admit it's nice! Minor bug is that the smoke is still coming from the actual rocket location and not where rocket model is. WIP, but already helpful.

PS. Salamatiqus, sorry for thinking you're nuts when you found it working on Moscow. Will you accept my sincere apology?

+ Reply to Thread