+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Quake Live in Firefox 4, 5 and 6 on Linux [fixes inside]

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar

Running Quake Live in Firefox 4, 5 and 6 on Linux [fixes inside]

Archived information. The issue was fixed with a Quake Live update.

With the current changes, in the future you will be able to just disable compatibility checks in Firefox to run development versions. Information in this thread is not relevant anymore.

Original thread follows:

This thread aims to be the definite source of all knowledge about running Quake Live with Firefox 4.0 and later under Linux systems.

If you're reading this, most likely you just want to make Quake Live work, so go ahead and grab the fixed extension (last link below).

If you're afraid to install software from untrusted sources, you can download official xpi for Firefox 3.6, open with your favorite archive manager (it's a zip archive) and change install.rdf file laying inside. Then point your browser to your fixed xpi and it will install it.

Important post map (chronological order):
    full install.rdf for manual fix
    Riboshom's premade extension (FF4)
    kronbalt's blog post link (warning: some instructions are wrong) + his premade extension (FF4)
    xXv3nd3ttaXx's Firefox 5 compatible extension
    Diplodok's Firefox 6 and 7 compatible extension (YOU PROBABLY WANT THIS)

Important note: disabling compatibility checks in Firefox 4.0 is not enough to install! Extension needs to be fixed first (see linked posts).
    Last edited by Lam; 10-26-2011 at 10:37 AM.

*F1r3Fl3x

Problem with firefox 4 on Linux

When's the addon going to be updated to work with Firefox 4 ? It's been out for two weeks now

*Truga
    Same problem here. It won't run after I fixed the version manually either.

Junior Member LinuxFromRussia is on a distinguished road
    As soon Firefox 4 will be released, I hope to play QL under it on Linux...

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quake Live plugin works happily with Firefox 4.0b8 on Linux. All you need to do is hack the xpi: in install.rdf change maxVersion to 4.*.

I wish id would change the install.rdf to simply use toolkit@mozilla.org as application id and allow 1.9-2.0 versions. QL works in lots of browsers but needs manual fiddling to install, it's a pity.

*Y0urN1gHtM4rE
    Quakelive doenst work for me in firefox 4 beta7.
    It does enter a match, but it will try to switch between browser/game every second. Very weird, i had this before when opened multiple firefox windows on current version.

Maybe you have OOPP enabled? I think I didn't use it when testing FF4. Try going about:config and set dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false (or dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.x86_64 on x86-64)

Quote Originally Posted by Diplodok View Post
    Quake Live plugin works happily with Firefox 4.0b8 on Linux. All you need to do is hack the xpi: in install.rdf change maxVersion to 4.*.

I wish id would change the install.rdf to simply use toolkit@mozilla.org as application id and allow 1.9-2.0 versions. QL works in lots of browsers but needs manual fiddling to install, it's a pity.
    Could you provide some details or link to step by step howto?

OK, I found that xpi is just a ZIP archive with max compression. There is install.rdf inside it.
    <em:maxVersion>4.*</em:maxVersion>
    Then again pack it to QuakeLivePlugin_401.xpi, FireFox->File->Open File->Install->Restart and...
    plugin installed now...
    goto quakelive.com and then I see license agreement, accept
    but site does not recognize my modified plugin and ask me to install from ql site... =(

P.S.
    Your Version: None
    Latest Version: 0.1.0.401

Add-ons manager says me that plugin installed and updated today...
    Last edited by LinuxFromRussia; 01-02-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Hmm, are you on x86-64? What does console say? Or about:plugins?

+ Reply to Thread