+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EAX and 5.1 sound in quakelive

Senior Member crucci is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamatiqus View Post
    He means that 5.1 headphones is like 5D cinema. Or cornflakes without asbestos!
    Those headphones are stereo. No more. Unless you have 6 ears. They just sounds clearly and are good in quality than other headphones.
    In that case sound from 5.1 speaker sets is stereo, because you only have two ears.

Member Orgazmo is on a distinguished road
    Lol, I really didn't get the 6 ears thing either. I would love ID if they update the engine to surround sound. Do you think they will?

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    PoLLeNSKi someone did remaster pink floyd in 5.1 or either 5.2,good engineer work. One of the Violent Femmes cds' they did in 5.1 also. They just had fun with it. Busing the drums down and doing a 5.1 pan thru out a song.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Member its4b is an unknown quantity at this point
    use headphones...
    no one needs 5.1 in quake..

*H4ck573R
    Quote Originally Posted by crucci View Post
    In that case sound from 5.1 speaker sets is stereo, because you only have two ears.
    You have two ears but thanks to outer ear shape, there is a difference in heard frequency and you can notice the difference between sound coming from the front and rear, or else we would have been eaten by various creatures long time ago from behind while guarding our face .
    There are virtual 5.1 headphones and the real ones with 8 speakers inside, 2 for center, 2 for bass, 2 for rear and 2 for front channel (I am sure because I opened few of them to repair the wire connections).
    Positional sound can be implemented in quake live because there was openAL support in quake 3.
    It is just the question of ID's will to mess with it and make it work again.
    3d positional audio is also possible via stereo speakers, but only virtual ( difference in frequencies depending on the position of the sound source).
    I hope this answers some of the confusion.

go to http://www.creative.com/soundblaster...d/welcome.aspx
    click on macro fx and click "on".
    It is a good example of 3d sound positioning (you need headphones for this to work).

*TheCyberd3m0n
    use headphones...
    no one needs 5.1 in quake..
    You don't need, but it not means that everyone don't need this. If you don't want them, you could simply choose "stereo" setting.

So many multiplayer games supports them (for example Counter Strike, Battlefield, and many other).

Positional sound can be implemented in quake live because there was openAL support in quake 3.
    I never heard about this. There was Aureal 3D, but openAL was not exist in December 1999.

3d positional audio is also possible via stereo speakers, but only virtual ( difference in frequencies depending on the position of the sound source).
    Yes, and 5.1 sound is possible from stereo sources via CMSS 3d similar technologies. But it is emulated surround, generated from algoritm located on sound card driver, and it's not autentic surround sound.

I think there is the way for it (Doom 3 had patch for EAX 4 support, id Tech 3 didn't support hdr effects implemented now in QL).

I (and many other players) would be very grateful for it

Member Vigil is on a distinguished road
    +1 for surround sound in QL!

*meefw
    there are ioquake3 versions with openAL 5.1 support
    http://ioquake3.org/

but i dont miss sourround sound in QL because it has no jungle maps

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adderall View Post
    PoLLeNSKi someone did remaster pink floyd in 5.1 or either 5.2,good engineer work. One of the Violent Femmes cds' they did in 5.1 also. They just had fun with it. Busing the drums down and doing a 5.1 pan thru out a song.
    There was an original remaster of Dark Side of the Moon in quadraphonic style but Floyd got their engineer James Guthrie to redo a 5.1 version a few years later - lots of artists have 5.1 releases on DVD-audio and SACD now as well as some performing live 5.1 gigs.

Personally I spent my money on a kick-ass stereo set-up with a musical sub to reinforce my speakers (very important to actually have a sub that can produce notes rather than just rumbles) rather than diluting my funds on an extra 3 speakers and amps. Also I'm more into music than films and the VAST majority of stuff is in 2 channel only - a good 2 channel system is good enough for watching good films too - like 3d images, surround sound is a bit of a fad to make bad films more watchable imo. If I wanted to upgrade to S/S I'd get a programmable AV receiver and a single matching rear speaker and amp so I could initially use it with just a front pair and a single rear until I had enough to double up the amp and speakers at the back - 4.1 is more than enough my friends until you can afford that 12+ foot projection screen.

Really try out the Hafler thing if you have a spare speaker, some old school analogue recordings become immensely good
    Last edited by Phlogiston; 08-31-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoLLeNSKi View Post
    There was an original remaster of Dark Side of the Moon in quadraphonic style but Floyd got their engineer James Guthrie to redo a 5.1 version a few years later - lots of artists have 5.1 releases on DVD-audio and SACD now as well as some performing live 5.1 gigs.

Personally I spent my money on a kick-ass stereo set-up with a musical sub to reinforce my speakers (very important to actually have a sub that can produce notes rather than just rumbles) rather than diluting my funds on an extra 3 speakers and amps. Also I'm more into music than films and the VAST majority of stuff is in 2 channel only - a good 2 channel system is good enough for watching good films too - like 3d images, surround sound is a bit of a fad to make bad films more watchable imo. If I wanted to upgrade to S/S I'd get a programmable AV receiver and a single matching rear speaker and amp so I could initially use it with just a front pair and a single rear until I had enough to double up the amp and speakers at the back - 4.1 is more than enough my friends until you can afford that 12+ foot projection screen.

Really try out the Hafler thing if you have a spare speaker, some old school analogue recordings become immensely good

Surround Sound can play a major role in films, but I will agree with you sometimes it is used as a fad(like 3d films). Jurrassic Park was one of the first films to actually go full force and release the film in 5.1 for the theatre. Then others started to catch on. You do get what you pay for when it comes to audio gear, thats for sure. Check out this site, well I cant hyperlink it. So use your imagination

Surround Sound can play a major role in films, but I will agree with you sometimes it is used as a fad(like 3d films). Jurrassic Park was one of the first films to actually go full force and release the film in 5.1 for the theatre. Then others started to catch on. You do get what you pay for when it comes to audio gear, thats for sure. Got a good site to check out, but I can't link the url on here. So use your imagination on this. www.gearsl_tz.com
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

+ Reply to Thread