+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: better settings = lower ping?

*Jolinaar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugriumij View Post
    Is there a way to make ping lower without buying anything, just adjusting settings in QL?
    Yes, use cl_maxpackets 125 = better ping.

Senior Member Ouxouiga is on a distinguished road Ouxouiga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    He probably set his location to USA in beta.
    ^ You're a funny one there Marklar. ^

Quote Originally Posted by _ARYX_ View Post
    This is almost as funny... ^^^

Wrong, but funny...

Quote Originally Posted by QuakeBotBR View Post
    3) IF you have a Lan in your house, using YOUR computer as the hub/switch, then u must take care with one configuration that makes your ping 40-60 ms worse. For Windows XP, go to your shared connection, TCP/IP Protocol / Propoerties/ Advanced / WINS tab and activate the NetBIOS on TCP/IP.
    ^ If using a hub/router with ethernet cable from pc to it, in the advanced tcp/ip settings, this will be set to automatically configure to the DHCP server settings if netbios is enabled.
    Last edited by Ouxouiga; 03-05-2011 at 01:08 AM.

*Jolinaar
    Quote Originally Posted by OUXOUIGA View Post

Wrong, but funny...

^ If using a hub/router with ethernet cable from pc to it, in the advanced tcp/ip settings, this will be set to automatically configure to the DHCP server settings if netbios is enabled.
    cl_maxpacket 125 give a better ping than cl_maxpacket 63 or lower. At least it's what it did for me, ping is 2x bigger with maxpacket 63. Test it yourself and tell us your result.

Senior Member Ouxouiga is on a distinguished road Ouxouiga's Avatar
    I have tried cl_maxpacket with both 63 and 125 settings and higher cl_maxpacket only seemed to balance/settle the fps rate and reduce packet loss. It did nothing for the ping.
    Last edited by Ouxouiga; 03-07-2011 at 12:20 AM.

*nucklehead
    They took snaps thats what makeyour ping low

Senior Member T1E is on a distinguished road T1E's Avatar
    Posted by Marklar
    He probably set his location to USA in beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouxouiga View Post
    why funny? how do you think a US-player can have under 50 ms ping in Europe?
    I'm not sure if it's even physically possible, cba to do the math now.
    It's obviously someone who changed his flag and not a magician who is lowering his ping half to what's normal (I've played with 120-130 ping to DC, with 110 to NYC, and I've seen Americans with 100-120 ping on Euro servers)

Originally Posted by _ARYX_

Wrong, but funny...
    with double the packets per second, the delay gets lower, from 16 to 8, more logical than funny actually

To OP:
    If your only goal is to minimize "ping", check the cl_timenudge setting, it interpolates the enemy model(s) to show what they would (probably) look like / where they would be moving on your screen in x milliseconds time.
    cl_timenudge -10 (regular setting)
    cl_timenudge -20 (= maximum setting)
    cl_autotimenudge 1 (= maximum setting if you are above 40 ping)

first you see an example that's pretty common to have a bit of advantage in fights and either being able to react faster to an opponent who tries to peek from behind a wall, or a slight help with your projectile weapons (which are not unlagged)
    second the maximum timenudge setting where enemy models might start to jitter already, can be a help at high pings
    third, the so called autotimenudge, it will take your ping, divide that number by two and put that as timenudge, a very good help for the highest pings and will help you make the game playable on 80+ ms ping, one downside is the very prominent jitter (because the linear prediction code has to update itself constantly and will be constantly off by a bit)
    Last edited by T1E; 12-25-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T1E View Post
    why funny? how do you think a US-player can have under 50 ms ping in Europe?
    I'm not sure if it's even physically possible, cba to do the math now.
    From Chatham, MA to Lisbon, Portugal (roughly the shortest distance between what would be considered the "United States" and what would be considered "Europe") is 5068 km, which at the speed of light could be traversed in 16.91 ms.

So yes it is physically possible.

To give a more realistic figure we will use locations where actual QL servers exist:

From Washington, DC to Madrid, Spain.

That gives 20.462 ms.

In practice however, the best I have ever seen in my gaming life is 120 ms between someone in the U.S. and a server in EU. I'd be surprised if the actual best was much better than that.

+ Reply to Thread