+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: better settings = lower ping?

Senior Member belka_ is on a distinguished road belka_'s Avatar

better settings = lower ping?

Is there a way to make ping lower without buying anything, just adjusting settings in QL?
    PLAY MORE belka_ STYLE

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    Ping describes a time of travel of packets between a client and a server. The output lag time is measured in ms. the faster replies to a ping come back between stations, the faster the connection is.
    You can't "fix" it by for example cvar or something, try to follow ideas from this thread:
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...6-Fix-the-ping!!!
    Generally to optimize your ping you might think of upgrading your ISP, fixing improper/non-optimal network settings or at least play on a server that's closer to your home.

Senior Member SHAKEANDBAKE has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugriumij View Post
    Is there a way to make ping lower without buying anything, just adjusting settings in QL?
    Basically, to answer your question...NO there isn't anything you can do to adjust your ping other then playing on a server that is close to where you live.

For example, if you live in Toronto Canada and you play a game with a server in the UK your ping would be over 100. If you played a game with a server in Toronto your ping would be around 20 or there abouts.

Don't get to hung up on ping....first enjoy the game, close to home . Once you become better at playing and understanding basics you will become more confident at playing Quake on any server.

Junior Member DeFi is on a distinguished road
    maybe you cant really change your ping (except going to a prioritised ISP and disabling interleaving etc) but game settings can make your ping more constant, thus giving you a better chance at hitting the shots every time. If you ever tried a lagged insta in q3 pinging over 100 for example, having the exact same distance to judge ahead every time meant you could easily get used to it and hit the rail. Using silly things like wireless, low packets, timenudge (cough at the lovers), variable fps or game rates will probably put the shot off a possible consistant sweet spot.

QL seems to use trueping at least, rather than the old missguided lower packets = lower ping, so simply:
    cl_maxpackets 125
    cl_timenudge 0
    rate 25000

Examples:
    http://www.ipwnjoo.co.uk/images/misc/laggers.jpg

Senior Member Ouxouiga is on a distinguished road Ouxouiga's Avatar
    So, what's this about negative ping?
    i.e. -1
    As if you didn't know what I meant.

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    Ql shows -1 ping when player is still on loading map screen
    bind END "quit'

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Is there a way to hack ping to make it seem like the ping is different to what it really is?

I saw a person once from the US who was playing on a European server with a ping of like 42, and he won the game with high accuracy. It was very weird, I thought he must have some super connection from Washington or something, but the more I thought about it later the more suspicious it seemed.

Senior Member Marklar is on a distinguished road Marklar's Avatar
    He probably set his location to USA in beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAimNoName View Post
    You cannot convince someone who does not think.

*LivingD3ad
    If your downloading something, just pause it.

Senior Member QuakeBotBR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEANDBAKE View Post
    Basically, to answer your question...NO there isn't anything you can do to adjust your ping other then playing on a server that is close to where you live.
    Sorry, this is not true. These are the conditions that takes influencie in your ping:

1.a) The distance. The nearest, the less computers you pass thru to get to the server. And other intuitive reasons.

1.b) The routing - I put it SIDE BY SIDE with the distance. Why? I, myself, am an example if one that suffers with a very high ping, cause there is no brazilian server yet. So, im forced to play in USA, where I use to get 150-200 ping. Look that USA is even better than Argentina and Chile (wich are "muuuuch" nearer), for most of Brazilian players!!! And why that? Cause the routing for the south of South America just sucks! There are only rare days in the year when my ping in Argentina or Chile (never then both) comes from 300-400 to 50!!! But, even when that happens to me, some buddies that live even closer (like, 200-500 miles) to Argentina/Chile get there 300! So, the distance, in contradiction to what everybody thinks, is not the most important alone, but the routing. But... the problem about routing is that... nobody can control it. Not even your ISP. It chooses only the first computer that will lead u to the server. So, sometimes, if you change your ISP, the ping will become better cause it uses another initial routing, wich is better specially for connecting to that server - there are less "points" in the way.

The good side about living in the USA is that you got a perfect routing almost to every part of your country.

2) Look at the link with the Yakumos fixes.

3) IF you have a Lan in your house, using YOUR computer as the hub/switch, then u must tka ecare with one configuration that makes your ping 40-60 ms worse. For Windows XP, go to your shared connection, TCP/IP Protocol / Propoerties/ Advanced / WINS tab and activate the NetBIOS on TCP/IP.

4) Do the changes as posted by DeFI:

Quote Originally Posted by DeFi View Post
    maybe you cant really change your ping (except going to a prioritised ISP and disabling interleaving etc) but game settings can make your ping more constant, thus giving you a better chance at hitting the shots every time. If you ever tried a lagged insta in q3 pinging over 100 for example, having the exact same distance to judge ahead every time meant you could easily get used to it and hit the rail. Using silly things like wireless, low packets, timenudge (cough at the lovers), variable fps or game rates will probably put the shot off a possible consistant sweet spot.

QL seems to use trueping at least, rather than the old missguided lower packets = lower ping, so simply:
    cl_maxpackets 125
    cl_timenudge 0
    rate 25000

Examples:
    http://www.ipwnjoo.co.uk/images/misc/laggers.jpg
    "Rate 25000". Tks man. I used it once, but forgot to add at me custom config file. Reputation added.

+ Reply to Thread