+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Strafe Jump Troubleshooting (tutorial video)

Senior Member M0NG3R is on a distinguished road
    i gave up rendering the video because ive done a lot of these and it was too boring with my horrible computer. i was gonna use it as an experiment but i ran into a wall and just gave up; didnt have much drive to begin with.

after watching the demo a few times, whoever, i noticed a few things:
    first of all, your angles arent that bad. they arent perfect, but theyre accurate. you need to work on your keypresses. it seems like you let go of all the keys for some time while youre in the air, even when your crosshair is in the accel zone. either that, or you hold down +moveup way too long, and lose all your accel. you need to tap jump on every jump. while the jump button is held down, your acceleration is practically eliminated. you can gain a few units, but hardly anything at all. you tap it before you land, hold it down for a few frames until you lift off again, and then let go immediately.

your angles are nice on single beat though. single beat is much faster than double beat, but also a lot harder to learn. double beat is more beginner stuff, so i recommend starting with that, and once you get the hang of it, try single beat, then once youre really good at that, go on to half beat.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by M0NG3R View Post
    single beat is much faster than double beat
    They're the same. The difference is in trajectory (closer to a straight line in single beat), but it's not THAT big anyway. I think lane 7 is doable double beat, maybe lane 8 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    They're the same. The difference is in trajectory (closer to a straight line in single beat), but it's not THAT big anyway. I think lane 7 is doable double beat, maybe lane 8 too.
    you accelerate faster with single beat in whatever direction youre moving. single beat done properly is way faster than double beat. if i had a strafebot, i would record a demo and show you, but i dont :P

Senior Member g0vn0r is on a distinguished road
    I'm not an expert in strafing at all, but double beat is useful in real matches because it's a natural and useful way to strafe in curved trajectories. This is important from a practical standpoint imho, I mean real matches in real maps, where acquiring speed in non-straight areas matters.

People practicing double beat should focus on how much they apply some mouse drift in the direction of the strafe key. There's a sweet spot to find for optimal accel.

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by g0vn0r View Post
    I'm not an expert in strafing at all, but double beat is useful in real matches because it's a natural and useful way to strafe in curved trajectories. This is important from a practical standpoint imho, I mean real matches in real maps, where acquiring speed in non-straight areas matters.

People practicing double beat should focus on how much they apply some mouse drift in the direction of the strafe key. There's a sweet spot to find for optimal accel.
    yeah, its more common for people to strafejump double beat ingame, but if youre going for pure speed or doing strafe pads then half beat or single beat are the best. i use half beat a lot ingame, too. its kind of unnatural and awkward at first, but now that im getting the hang of it its way more efficient and comfortable than any other style sometimes.

Junior Member NomadInTime is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by M0NG3R View Post
    after watching the demo a few times, whoever, i noticed a few things:
    first of all, your angles arent that bad. they arent perfect, but theyre accurate. you need to work on your keypresses. it seems like you let go of all the keys for some time while youre in the air, even when your crosshair is in the accel zone. either that, or you hold down +moveup way too long, and lose all your accel. you need to tap jump on every jump. while the jump button is held down, your acceleration is practically eliminated. you can gain a few units, but hardly anything at all. you tap it before you land, hold it down for a few frames until you lift off again, and then let go immediately.
    Happy to hear that the angles are okay in general. So its good to know its not a problem of them.
    I think, you are right with the keypresses. As i said before i just recently noticed that i kept holding down the jump key (+moveup) for to long. it came from practicing circle jumps where i focused more on the movement.
    Now i am trying to just tap the jump, and while doing that i think i sometimes let go of strafe....+aaaah+
    Well, working on it now that i know what the issues are, but it takes some time to unlearn those wrong things.

Edit / add-on: Double beat and single beat... for now double beat is probably good for me so i don't have to concentrate so much on the angle and can focus on keypresses. About half-beat i am not even thinking right now. But I hope between single and double beat there's no problem in switching once the basics are ingrained.

Edit2: Okay so now i can get through lane 2 and in lane 3 i get to the last pads Hope i keep that progress going! thx guys
    Last edited by NomadInTime; 02-25-2011 at 10:05 AM.

well, you can practice the keypresses with any strafe style. to get a VERY good grasp, though, i highly recommend installing quake 3 and defrag, then trying some vq3 pads with the gazhud on. its very useful for practicing the angles, and you can even start practicing at a low timescale (0.5, 0.75 etc.) just so you get the hang of the angles and stuff. there are a lot of demos that show how to strafejump properly for df. one thing is certain though: having access to all the overwhelming amounts of assisting cvars that defrag has will make you learn much faster.

*CarlGustav
    I've been trying defrag and wanted to change the timescale but I get a message that timescale is protected and sv_cheats is read only. How do I change it?

Are there any settings in defrag that can make the physics closer to QL? Picking up speed in QL seems way easier.

Edit: seems you can only set cheats & timescale in multiplayer mode.
    Last edited by CarlGustav; 04-07-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: found timescale answer

Senior Member joz is on a distinguished road
    set the map with \devmap MAPNAME and that will turn on \sv_cheats.
    It is actually easier to gain speed in defrag. Rocket jumps and plasma are harder though. However, I wouldnt recommend changing any settings, since all the maps are designed with the normal physics in mind. Also I dont like low timescales, doesnt really help IMO. I think the most helpful tool for learning strafing in defrag is the cgaz hud. ( \df_hud_cgaz "1" ) It basically tells you the correct angle for your mouse.

Senior Member ybl is on a distinguished road ybl's Avatar
    cgaz-hud wouldnt run in wolfcam i guess?

+ Reply to Thread