+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Strafe Jump Troubleshooting (tutorial video)

Junior Member MidiMightyMoe is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by OUXOUIGA View Post
    Is there an infinite run map? If not, there should be.
    You should focus more on acceleration than on speed itself, maximum speed is not that important. Strafe lanes are really the best way to practice.

For your problem, you can try to strafe 3/4 jumps in row in the same direction and try see wich movement gives you the most acceleration (look at your speedmeter ), it will teach you the slow/slight rotation you need while in air. Once you get the concept, wich is the hardest part of strafe imo, you can do regular switch between jumps to get the angles.

Can you post a demo of your current strafe btw ? it's the fastest way to help you.

Senior Member Ouxouiga is on a distinguished road Ouxouiga's Avatar
    Thanks INKEYZ.
    It's in French and when I choose GB English, it navigates away from the page and I can't find it again, but I will...
    EDIT:

I did find it and the other linked map is in my system also. Some good maps, both of them... lots of fun in them already... Thanks again...
    Last edited by Ouxouiga; 11-13-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MidiMightyMoe View Post
    You should focus more on acceleration than on speed itself, maximum speed is not that important. Strafe lanes are really the best way to practice.

For your problem, you can try to strafe 3/4 jumps in row in the same direction and try see wich movement gives you the most acceleration (look at your speedmeter), it will teach you the slow/slight rotation you need while in air. Once you get the concept, wich is the hardest part of strafe imo, you can do regular switch between jumps to get the angles.

Can you post a demo of your current strafe btw ? it's the fastest way to help you.
    I've been using the strafe lane part of the map in the second link. The one with the HUGE spikes at the end. No, didn't hit them. Stopped in time.
    I know the accel is more critical than speed itself. I can get to ~500+ in 2-3 jumps so far. Acceleration and distance is increasing also.
    I'm a fairly quick learner. It just took me a bit of time to get the coordination of the jump/left/right beats. I have fairly large hands and the keys, as you know, are in close proximity to each other. I find that the arrows and del for jump work best for me. Even at my age I find I still have reasonably good reflexes and coordination. The eyes are a different story... but not failing yet...

When I feel I have it together well enough, I'll post a demo. Next couple of days or so.

Again, Many thanks for all the help, tips and advice. All of you.
    Just good to see that there haven't been any smart*** posts... i.e. noob, etc... Even though I am reasonably new to QL, I've been playing FPS games longer than some people/players have been alive...
    Last edited by Ouxouiga; 11-14-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Just good to see that there haven't been any smart*** posts... i.e. noob, etc...
    Reasonable way of seeking help produces reasonable feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by MidiMightyMoe
    While I agree that efficient acceleration is the core of strafe jumping, I have to point out that speed is also important, at least in the beginning period of learning. I mean, you don't always happen to be doing a straight strafing run starting from 0 ups - you need to have the "feel" for correct acceleration angle at higher speeds too. A stupid bot might be able to finish Raz3r's lane 8 flawlessly because it's been programmed to do so, but when it's supposed to add some boost to a jumppad flight that starts at 850 ups, it will go nuts. This is what you ought to avoid - "programming" yourself for a perfect strafe run.

*INKEYZ
    I find that the arrows and del for jump work best for me.
    I think if you use the HOME, END, DEL, PGDN would work better :B

I also use the KP_INS for jump

Quote Originally Posted by INKEYZ View Post
    I think if you use the HOME, END, DEL, PGDN would work better :B

I also use the KP_INS for jump
    I'll definitely give that combination an active try. I was just now feeling them out and they seem do-able...

*INKEYZ
    I'll definitely give that combination an active try. I was just now feeling them out and they seem do-able...
    and now you have 2 new keys available for unbelievable bindings

not to mention about keypad numbers
    Last edited by INKEYZ; 11-14-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Senior Member woeste is on a distinguished road woeste's Avatar
    did anyone notice the new chainjumping thing or whatever they did in the update helps you doing the strafe pads? I suddenly am able to do lanes which i couldnt do before.

Senior Member Infinitiy is on a distinguished road
    Im playing about 1 year quake live...it was a long way to learn strafe jumping and bridge to rail. But a big mistake at the beginning was the mouse speed. It was really fast. 3cm movement for 360 degrees. When you have such a big speed you can forget that you will strafe a higher lane than 2.

no my speed ist very low 7 8 cm for 360degrees. I changed it about 4 weeks ago. And know i did lane 7 to the half, and even on the last lane i did 2 pads

try it with a slow mouse..really..

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitiy View Post
    no my speed ist very low 7 8 cm for 360degrees.
    It's very high speed.

+ Reply to Thread