+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Strafe Jump Troubleshooting (tutorial video)

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    It seems to me that all you do is press forward and jump, lol. You clearly don't understand the tutorial ;x
    My response:
    Attached Files

Senior Member Ouxouiga is on a distinguished road Ouxouiga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    It seems to me that all you do is press forward and jump, lol. You clearly don't understand the tutorial ;x
    My response:
    I watched the tutorial and tried to mimic the key presses in the upper right hand corner. Even starting out with just forward and jump, then addind the R and L alternating.

Thanks for the demo you attached. I'll view it as soon as.

I watched the demo a few times and realized what I was doing wrong, or not doing.
    No great feat, but only using the keys, I can make it to the 4th pad in lane 0 consistently.
    The 5th is a different story. Do they get marginally further apart as you go along in the same lane? I wouldn't and don't think so. It's just my jump timing...

I can also maintain ~400 - 430 ups in a straight run.

WooHoo... Progress... However slight...

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by OUXOUIGA View Post
    Do they get marginally further apart as you go along in the same lane?
    And what else would you expect? The point of strafe jumping is to continuously gain speed.

By the way, I had a thought just now: do you by any chance tap the left/right keys? Because, you know, you're supposed to hold them. I know it's a ridiculous assumption, but really I have no better explanation for what your demo shows.

And what else would you expect? The point of strafe jumping is to continuously gain speed.
    I understand and can see that they do get further apart progressively as you move from lane 0-1-2-3 etc...
    I was meaning, were they the same distance apart in each lane? I know my post is a bit muddly where I said "the 5th is a different story." I meant the 5th pad in lane 0.

By the way, I had a thought just now: do you by any chance tap the left/right keys? Because, you know, you're supposed to hold them. I know it's a ridiculous assumption, but really I have no better explanation for what your demo shows.
    I wasn't tapping the L / R, just not holding long enough and not releasing the jump key soon enough. (tapping)

I can understand "along in the same lane" perfectly, thank you. Still, I can't get it what would be the possible point of making any strafe lane so that the gaps between pads do NOT grow bigger as you proceed; like, where's the strafing then? You could just gain enough speed in the first 2 jumps and then release the keyboard and start scratching your head while continuously pressing jump. You're supposed to ACCELERATE, means increasing velocity, means increasing the length of each following jump (as jumping on flat surface takes a fixed amount of time). Obviously this means that every gap is bigger than the previous one.
    By the way, you could've easily checked this: just get into spectator mode, fly to the end of lane 0 and see how big the gap is.

Senior Member MurrderFace is an unknown quantity at this point
    the point of strafing is so you DO go faster each time you jump. thus, in the strafe practice map - the long tunnel of bridges get spaced further apart progressively.

there are clues in the maps (floor tiles and wall differences) that will let you know points to jump from/to if you try them out.

After a few hours of days practicing and implementing the tips I received here, I can say that I have improved on this.
    Call it a noob post if you must, but for me it is an accomplishment. After reading some things about how difficult this is to master, I think I have done well. I'll never master it but will be able to SJ well enough to satisfy my reason for learning how to do it.

A bit of bragging here...
    I can manage ~500+ consistent. Even saw over 600 a few times until I ran out of room and smacked into a wall.

Is there an infinite run map? If not, there should be.
    Last edited by Ouxouiga; 11-13-2010 at 02:47 AM.

*INKEYZ
    Quote Originally Posted by OUXOUIGA View Post
    After a few hours of days practicing and implementing the tips I received here, I can say that I have improved on this.
    Call it a noob post if you must, but for me it is an accomplishment. After reading some things about how difficult this is to master, I think I have done well. I'll never master it but will be able to SJ well enough to satisfy my reason for learning how to do it.

A bit of bragging here...
    I can manage ~500+ consistent. Even saw over 600 a few times until I ran out of room and smacked into a wall.

Is there an infinite run map? If not, there should be.
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post50498

or/and

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post22455

Last edited by INKEYZ; 11-13-2010 at 03:32 AM.

Thanks INKEYZ.
    It's in French and when I choose GB English, it navigates away from the page and I can't find it again, but I will...

+ Reply to Thread