+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Strafe Jump Troubleshooting (tutorial video)

Senior Member Ouxouiga is on a distinguished road Ouxouiga's Avatar
    Any tips/hints other than what is the tutorials, training map, etc... ??? Such as order and speed of pressing keys. I know it's already stated, but I just may be slow on picking this up.

I specced a player exceeding 750 easily... according to the speedo...

BTW, I am not uncoordinated. I can type relatively fast and know where the keys are...
    I don't use the standard WASD. I use the arrow keys with del as jump. Move comfortable for me due to the keyboard I have.
    Thanks.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by OUXOUIGA View Post
    after a few hours of a few days in the training map, I can barely get over 400 in the straight run along the start where the strafe pads are.

I assume you use forward+left/right strafe key, it will make things easier to explain.
    For convenience, let's say X is the angle between the direction you're currently flying at and the direction you're looking at.
    Basically, if you don't accelerate AT ALL, it means that your X angle is too small. If you accelerate just a little bit, very very slowly, it means that either your X angle is slightly smaller than the optimal one, or it's a lot larger than it should be. If you lose your speed, your X angle is bigger than 45 degrees - it should never be.
    This is one thing. Another - you do NOT accelerate in a straight line; it's essential that you take this into consideration. When you're accelerating, it's to your side, therefore your total momentum vector's direction gets altered as well. If you want an example, just start at lane 0 and run towards lane 9, and start strafing with only forward+left method - you'll soon fall into the pit.
    Third thing - the appropiate X angle GROWS BIGGER. At 320 ups, it's 0 degrees. But as soon as you gain some speed, it becomes 2 degrees, then 5, then 10 etc. etc. So if you're flying at 400 ups and you hold forward+left and you look straight ahead, you can wait eternity and nothing will happen. Remember that it's X degress between the direction you're looking at and direction you're flying at - which, if you'd accelerated any bit, has already changed too.

To put it in a nutshell, watch the tutorial again, everything's there ;x

Yes, I am using forward+left/right strafe key. I know what you mean by not going in a straight line.
    I just came out of the map. Again... The fastest I have been able to achieve using just the keys is about 385 or so, but not consistent. I do what the vid says. Press jump just before landing from the previous jump and alternating strafe key at the same time. Well, as far as I can make out while looking at the movement and the key diagrams in the corner.
    If I use slow to moderate sweeps of the mouse, I got up to around 475.

Thanks for the reply and tips.

Back to the vid and the map...

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    One more thing you could consider: usually tutorials tell you to alternate key combination with every jump you make. This is actually your ultimate goal, as it's the most efficient technique for running in a straight line. However, from my experience I can tell that it's very advantageous to first learn another technique, which is basically 2x easier, and also teaches you how to move mousle smoothly while in the air. Simply:

jump
    jump + change keys + change direction you're looking at
    jump (keep on turning ur head slowly ofc)
    jump + change keys + change direction
    jump
    etc. etc.

They call it double-beat strafing. I can only tell that while I struggled to make it to half lane 0, switching to half-beat made me beat lane 0 and 1 almost immediately xd There was no speedometer back then, btw.

Gonna give that a try now...

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    half beat, double beat, bunnyhop, cirlcehalfdoublestrafebeatairrampjump.. too much names -_- I just jump looking at one side and turning to another when i feel i have no speed acceleration.
    Last edited by Salamatiqus; 11-10-2010 at 02:11 AM.
    bind END "quit'

Thumbs down

Still can't get past the 4th pad in lane 0, and even that is only on occasion...
    Nearly 30 minutes at it... discouragement setting in...

Not really, but nearly...

So basically you're doing something terribly wrong but you don't yet know what. Post a demo (several attempts preferably), I'll happily give you a detailed rebuke. xd

Okay.
    I won't need to explain what I'm doing in the demo... You'll probably be able to tell.
    Major embarrassment about to unfold...

Red face Bad_Strafe Demo

Bad Strafe Demo

+ Reply to Thread