+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Strafe Jump Troubleshooting (tutorial video)

Junior Member COMO is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    I rarely let go of the forward key when strafe jumping.
    hmm, strange... I must have some inherent flaw in my technique. although in one of the half-beat tutorials (Video?) i was looking at yesterday, the author did mention letting off the fwd key in half-beat; (and had the keys highlighted in the tutorial as i recall); and for some reason - it helped me LOL

well, if you dont release the fwd key on the 'off-beat', wouldn't it then be single beat you're using?

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by COMO View Post
    I couldn't imagine letting off the fwd key in half-beat - seemed illogical. but it worked!
    do you let go of the fwd key in single beat?
    It's perfectly logical if you know how strafing actually works. Read this if you can be bothered (though it looks ugly at first glance, you can grasp the idea even if you don't really like math much; it sure helped me to improve, understaing the mechanics behind the technique is likely to push your training to the next level)

If you have trouble with single-beat, I recommend trying double for a while - it's much much easier. BUT seeing as you decided to go along with half-beat instead, I don't think it's necessary at all. I do believe half-beat might get tricky on actual maps, especially unfamiliar ones, but I have no way to prove it (never bothered learning half-beat myself). Oh well. Whatever suits you best.

thanks LP.. i read it. and if nothing else, it confirmed i was at least correct in my mind's concept of how i should be doing half-beat.
    that helps.
    (since i have never had proper technique strafing - and all the while thinking i generally did)
    so, breaking old habits is part of the issue there's no doubt
    not sure i'll ever be single beat, but maybe someday. it's a coordination thing w/ mouse flick and jump timing for me.
    might be above my pay-grade
    others make it look so easy.
    i watched tons of the demos demonstrating the technique in precise detail..
    Last edited by COMO; 07-28-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    This is how I usually strafe jump, I don't let go of forward really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSdqzJjRpY

thanks Lorfa, i like that little keypad HUD you had.
    could i add that? if i wanted?

might diagnose my goofy timing with it.

looked like you were single-beat to me on that vid, when you combined jumps
    right?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by COMO View Post
    thanks Lorfa, i like that little keypad HUD you had.
    could i add that? if i wanted?
    Yeah, cl_drawInputCmds 1

Unfortunately it doesn't work with demos.

looked like you were single-beat to me on that vid, when you combined jumps
    right?
    I'm not sure on the terminology to be honest. I am going L and R every jump in that one for some reason.

Member Terminus is on a distinguished road
    Thanks, this is very helpful

Member Terminus is on a distinguished road
    This is some a new problem... I keep getting disconnected and even moreso, my machine never disconnects until I'm running the game and then I'll have to troubleshoot and reset my connection. Also, none of my other machines lose their connection... now I'm moving awkward, at times I'm getting stuck not able to move forward until I move in another direction and then I can move forward and a host of issues... my connection interrupted continues to come up but my connection is fine, then moments later my connection needs to be reset... this is really messing up my game play just when I'm starting to get better... Now, I don't want to hear from the who want to say its me, cause its not. If anyone else has experienced this issue or recognizes it, your help as always is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 09-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Junior Member fVic_evolution is on a distinguished road
    hello guys, can you please upload this map mod?
    thank you

+ Reply to Thread