+ Reply to Thread

Thread: California to TX ping issue

Junior Member mrshow is on a distinguished road

California to TX ping issue

Throughout the past month, it was (and still is) a coin toss of whether I'd get 60 ping to TX or 100. I live in Northern California and I know that several other CA residents were having the same exact problem.

The first time this happened I figured it was just some temporary routing issue due to outages, and this seemed to be the case since my ping returned to normal a day later. But unfortunately this has been happening quite regularly now (ie: today I might get 100 ping, tomorrow I might get 60).

All of the trace routes that I've run show either one of two cases:

1) I get relatively normal ping to all hops except the last speakeasy hop before the server.
    -OR-
    2) Same as case 1 except there is additional ping spikes and packet loss upon entering the Level(3) network in San Jose

Both cases seem to be issues with data transfer at the hops themselves rather than routing issues from my ISP, since the routing path that the connection takes appears quite logical.

I've attached an image from PingPlotter to show you what I mean (the image is of Case #2).

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...6912110144.png

What can I and others do to resolve this issue? Like I said, I dont think contacting my ISP will solve anything because the routing path is logical--the issue lies in Level(3) and Speakeasy.

I am still getting regular ping to ALL other quakelive servers (typical 80-90 to CHI, etc). The problem is ONLY with Texas servers.

Junior Member mrshow is on a distinguished road
    Here is what Case #1 typically looks like:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...0144_case1.png

Junior Member akr0nym is on a distinguished road
    I've been having the same issues in Texas. I used to regularly ping 50-60 there. Now I get 75-90. It's unplayable with that ping. I can't play anywhere except on the west coast now, unless I play with crap ping.

Everyone tries to blame the ISP, but it's odd how on almost all Q3 Texas servers still up, I ping 30-40.

+ Reply to Thread