+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Noobfarming in CTF

Banned CooloutAC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    Quote Originally Posted by dreckschwein View Post
    Couldn't handle the super easy learning curve of quake, eh? http://h-1.abload.de/img/asdas8nqv.png
    i've always said knowing how to program computers is where the learning curve comes in, among other things. Not so much the gameplay.

Senior Member Th0rsten is on a distinguished road
    And i allready told you in another thread that this is plain wrong.

1. Writing a quake cfg is not comparable to programming. It lacks almost EVERYTHING which is needed for a simple programming language. Considering its complexity its WAY BELOW simplest scripting. So once again i suggest you NEVER think about programming if ql cfgs are too hard for you.

2. You overestimate the advantage you get from such a cfg drastically. I think i read somewhere you have skill rating 50? Well maybe the cfg MAY be the deciding difference if you oppent is also about 50, but its still possible for him to beat you with a standard cfg.
    If you play some guy who has a rating of e.g. 60. it would not make a difference at all.

p.s. I just looked at the GUI menu for graphics. Put 2 minutes of effort into it and you can get yourself a really good cfg. So you dont EVEN NEED to type the VERY SIMPLE LINES into a cfg file....

p.p.s. As this is at least the second time you are proven wrong in that point, it should be the time to put in in your signature isnt it? "Quake live, where high level programming skills are more important than using the mouse"
    Last edited by Th0rsten; 10-23-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: added p.p.s.

Quote Originally Posted by Th0rsten View Post
    And i allready told you in another thread that this is plain wrong.

1. Writing a quake cfg is not comparable to programming. It lacks almost EVERYTHING which is needed for a simple programming language. Considering its complexity its WAY BELOW simplest scripting. So once again i suggest you NEVER think about programming if ql cfgs are too hard for you.

2. You overestimate the advantage you get from such a cfg drastically. I think i read somewhere you have skill rating 50? Well maybe the cfg MAY be the deciding difference if you oppent is also about 50, but its still possible for him to beat you with a standard cfg.
    If you play some guy who has a rating of e.g. 60. it would not make a difference at all.

p.s. I just looked at the GUI menu for graphics. Put 2 minutes of effort into it and you can get yourself a really good cfg. So you dont EVEN NEED to type the VERY SIMPLE LINES into a cfg file....

p.p.s. As this is at least the second time you are proven wrong in that point, it should be the time to put in in your signature isnt it? "Quake live, where high level programming skills are more important than using the mouse"
    haha I was exagerating of course. But you get the idea...haha that would be an awsome signature.

None of my friends are computer literate though enough to play this game. Installing and running it from a browser is helpful, and having some options now in the gui menu for ql is cool. Def alot easier then trying to get the mods and game to install right with regular q3. Not to mention getting a server browser. But its still not nearly as user friendly as the avg video game dude. None of my friends are computer nerds and I just can't picture them playing this game. They better off with consoles.

Junior Member Relativizor is on a distinguished road
    Technically, it is still programming. It is not Turing-complete programming however. Quake configuration is a domain specific language for configuration of the game settings. You can find scores of such small languages out there which people use from day to day and it is totally unknown to them that they are programming.

The debate this is usually centered around is if a language can be called a programming language if it is not Turing Complete. To the contrary, the Simply Typed Lambda Calculus, an often much studied language by academics in Prog.Lang theory, is strongly normalizing. When a language is strongly normalizing, it is not turing complete either.

This point is true. If you look at some of the Pro players configurations, you will see how simple they are. Set a sensitivity, crank r_picmip up a bit, force skins of enemies, and you are almost there. Everything else is hardly contributing that much to a difference in skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Relativizor View Post
    Technically, it is still programming. It is not Turing-complete programming however. Quake configuration is a domain specific language for configuration of the game settings. You can find scores of such small languages out there which people use from day to day and it is totally unknown to them that they are programming.

The debate this is usually centered around is if a language can be called a programming language if it is not Turing Complete. To the contrary, the Simply Typed Lambda Calculus, an often much studied language by academics in Prog.Lang theory, is strongly normalizing. When a language is strongly normalizing, it is not turing complete either.

This point is true. If you look at some of the Pro players configurations, you will see how simple they are. Set a sensitivity, crank r_picmip up a bit, force skins of enemies, and you are almost there. Everything else is hardly contributing that much to a difference in skill.
    All those little things matter. And besides sensitivity. Most of them you won't know till someone tells you about them. And i'm just laughing trying to picture my real life friends doing any of this **** for a video game. Can you blame people for going to consoles where everybody has the same equipment and settings? Thats kind of why i use mostly default settings. I just did one little tweak.. ANd those little tiny tweaks can make a diff.
    Last edited by CooloutAC; 10-23-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by CooloutAC View Post
    Most of them you won't know till someone tells you about them.
    Yeah, because when browsing someone's cfg, some entries are hidden from sight until you're told about their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Yeah, because when browsing someone's cfg, some entries are hidden from sight until you're told about their existence.
    haha I think this takes even more skill dude. seriously? browsing their cfg? Are you hacking peoples pcs? lol.. I just learned how to edit a cfg 2 days ago from lorfa. I couldn't even find it on my pc hardrive. And yes i call that word of mouth. I couldn't even figure out who to get a few lines working in the cfg. You think i would notice anything browsing someones cfg, but a bunch of letters and numbers?

In fact the little slight, but highly complicated, tweak I did to my cfg for LG is by word of mouth on the forums.

I'm not your typical computer nerd. Although i have to be somewhat to actually play this game

and theres not many of you video gaming nerds left. Since consoles look just as good now... and most people have ****ty laptops now, and don't have the pc gaming experience. Most people are not gonna bother with any of this **** to try and get better. Judge them how you want. I almost gave up myself.
    Last edited by CooloutAC; 10-23-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Senior Member tucker is on a distinguished road tucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CooloutAC View Post
    i've always said knowing how to program computers is where the learning curve comes in, among other things. Not so much the gameplay.
    says the person with a 19% lg after 450 hours played

and if you look at someone's cfg such as mine own, you can find silly things that are in there like

bind KP_minus "toggle r_vertexlight;vid_restart"
    bind backspace "toggle r_fastsky"

Code:
    // Tucker "tucker" Teigland // Windows XP SP3
    // SteelSeries Xai - 400dpi// Mouse Fix and USB Rate Added
    // 500 hz // Windows Mouse Sense 6 - Enhance Pointer Precision disabled

com_allowconsole 1

cg_fov 103
    cg_simpleitems 1
    cg_noProjectileTrail 1
    cg_smokeRadius_GL 0
    cg_smokeRadius_RL 0
    cg_muzzleflash 0
    cg_smoke_SG 0
    cg_lightningImpact 0
    cg_railtrailtime "600"
    r_railwidth 22
    r_railcorewidth 8
    r_railsegmentlength 15
    cg_drawGun 0
    cg_autoswitch 0
    cg_marks 0
    cg_scorePlums 0
    cg_crosshaircolor 25
    //cg_drawCrosshair 7
    cg_crosshairsize 30
    cg_brasstime 0
    cg_deadbodydarken 1
    cg_drawitempickups 5
    color1 25
    color2 9
    cg_zoomtoggle 0
    cg_drawstatus 1
    cg_weaponbar 1

seta sensitivity "4.1"
    // seta cg_filter_Angles "0.03" //this is a weird command that lags your view and crosshair behind the 'actual' crosshair
    seta m_filter "0"
    seta m_yaw "0.018"
    seta m_pitch "0.018"
    seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
    seta cl_mouseAccelOffset "0"
    seta cl_mouseSensCap "0"
    seta cl_mouseAccelStyle "1"
    seta m_forward "0.25"
    seta m_side "0.25"
    seta in_mouse "2"
    cg_zoomSensitivity "0"
    cg_zoomfov "80"

cg_truelightning 0.96

s_musicvolume 0
    s_doppler 0
    s_volume 0.6
    s_ambient 0

r_mode 21
    r_picmip 5
    r_gamma 1.5
    r_mapoverbrightbits 1
    r_intensity 1.2
    r_ignorehwgamma 1
    r_dynamiclight 0
    r_smp 0
    r_fullbright 0
    r_fastsky 1
    r_enablepostprocess 0
    r_displayrefresh 120
    r_vertexlight 1

seta bot_nochat 1

cg_bob 0
    cg_kickscale 0
    cg_leveltimerdirection 0

cg_noprojectiletrail 1
    cg_lightningstyle 4
    cg_forcemodel 0
    model "xaero/red"
    cg_forceteammodel "bitterman"
    cg_forceenemymodel "keel/bright"
    cg_scaleplayermodelstobb "0"

cg_zoomfov 80

//BINDS
    //___________________________________________________________

bind "f1" "vote yes"
    bind "f2" "vote no"
    bind "f3" "readyup"
    bind "f4" "exec autoexec.cfg"
    bind "f5" "callvote map qzdm6"
    bind "f6" "callvote map ztntourney1"
    bind "f7" "callvote map qzctf7"
    bind "f8" "callvote map qzctf2"
    bind F11 "screenshotJPEG"
    bind F12 "screenshot"
    bind w "+forward"
    bind s "+back"
    bind a "+moveleft"
    bind d "+moveright"
    bind CTRL "+movedown"
    bind shift "+speed"
    bind SPACE "+moveup"
    bind mouse1 "+attack"
    bind [ "vid_restart"
    bind b "say ^7:D"
    bind g "say_team <---HERE"
    bind ] "vstr crosshair"
    bind ' "vstr enemycolor"
    bind x "dropflag"
    bind c "dropweapon"
    bind v "say_team ^1Enemy here."
    bind p "vstr teamchat"
    bind t "say_team POWERUP!!"
    bind u "messagemode2"
    bind ENTER "messagemode"
    bind mouse2 "+zoom"
    bind k "messagemode5"
    bind backspace "toggle r_fastsky"
    bind KP_minus "toggle r_vertexlight;vid_restart"

//PLAYBACK
    bind uparrow         "timescale 1"
    bind rightarrow         "timescale 10"
    bind leftarrow         "timescale 0.5"
    bind downarrow         "timescale 0"

// WEAPONS
    //____________________________________________________________   

bind mwheeldown "weapon 1;cg_drawgun 2;"
    bind 2 "weapon 2;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 7;com_blood 1;cg_crosshairsize 24"
    bind 3 "weapon 3;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 7;com_blood 1;cg_crosshairsize 24"
    bind r "weapon 5;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 2;com_blood 0;cg_crosshairsize 48"
    // bind MOUSE2 "weapon 7;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawCrosshair 7;com_blood 0;cg_crosshairsize 24"
    bind q "weapon 6;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawCrosshair 6;com_blood 1;cg_crosshairsize 100"
    bind e "weapon 7;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 6;com_blood 0;cg_crosshairsize 36"
    bind alt "+down"
    bind f "weapon 8;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 7;com_blood 1;cg_crosshairsize 24"
    bind 4 "weapon 4;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 7;com_blood 0;cg_crosshairsize 24"

// TEAM PLAY

bind mwheelup "+button2"
    bind 5 "say_team ^7Negative."
    bind KP_LEFTARROW "say_team ^2MID IS ****ED"
    bind KP_5 "say_team ^2MID CLEAR"
    bind KP_RIGHTARROW "say_team ^1ENEMY ^5QUAD ^7HERE"

// RECORDING
    seta cg_autoaction 3
    seta cl_demorecordmessage "0"

// VOLUME

bind INS "vstr vup"
    bind DEL "vstr vdn"
    set vdn vstr vol05
    set vup vstr vol07
    set vol00            "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.0;set vdn vstr vol00;set vup vstr vol01;echo ^0*^7volume ^1mute^0*"
    set vol01             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.1;set vdn vstr vol00;set vup vstr vol02;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.1^0*"
    set vol02             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.2;set vdn vstr vol01;set vup vstr vol03;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.2^0*"
    set vol03             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.3;set vdn vstr vol02;set vup vstr vol04;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.3^0*"
    set vol04             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.4;set vdn vstr vol03;set vup vstr vol05;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.4^0*"
    set vol05             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.5;set vdn vstr vol04;set vup vstr vol06;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.5^0*"
    set vol06             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.6;set vdn vstr vol05;set vup vstr vol07;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.6^0*"
    set vol07             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.7;set vdn vstr vol06;set vup vstr vol08;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.7^0*"
    set vol08             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.8;set vdn vstr vol07;set vup vstr vol09;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.8^0*"
    set vol09             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 0.9;set vdn vstr vol08;set vup vstr vol10;echo ^0*^7volume ^30.9^0*"
    set vol10             "play sound/misc/menu2;set s_volume 1.0;set vdn vstr vol09;set vup vstr vol10;echo ^0*^7volume ^31.0^0*"

// SCRIPTS
    //_________________________________________________________

seta crosshair  "vstr crosshair0"
    seta crosshair0 "set crosshair vstr crosshair1;cg_crosshaircolor 1"
    seta crosshair1 "set crosshair vstr crosshair2;cg_crosshaircolor 5"
    seta crosshair2 "set crosshair vstr crosshair3;cg_crosshaircolor 2"
    seta crosshair3 "set crosshair vstr crosshair0;cg_crosshaircolor 7"

seta teamchat  "vstr teamchat0"
    seta teamchat0 "set teamchat vstr teamchat1;cg_teamchatsonly 1;echo ^7CHATS ^1MUTED"
    seta teamchat1 "set teamchat vstr teamchat0;cg_teamchatsonly 0;echo ^7CHATS ^2OPEN"

seta enemycolor    "vstr enemycolor0"
    seta enemycolor0    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor1;setenemycolor nnn"
    seta enemycolor1    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor2;setenemycolor eee"
    seta enemycolor2    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor3;setenemycolor iii"
    seta enemycolor3    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor4;setenemycolor ooo"
    seta enemycolor4    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor5;setenemycolor ddd"
    seta enemycolor5    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor6;setenemycolor fff"
    seta enemycolor6    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor7;setenemycolor lll"
    seta enemycolor7    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor8;setenemycolor mmm"
    seta enemycolor8    "set enemycolor vstr enemycolor0;setenemycolor ccc"

// PB
    //_________________________________________________________

pb_sleep 500
    pb_security 0
    cl_punkbuster 1

cl_maxpackets 125
    rate 25000
    snaps 30

cg_hudFiles "ui/HUDklaovhwn.cfg"
    play sound/misc/menu2

clear

echo   "^7tugg^2a ^7Settings ^1Loaded
    an actual cfg thats written by someone looks a lot different from a /writeconfig
    Last edited by tucker; 10-23-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Senior Member Th0rsten is on a distinguished road
    I think he just refers to the dozens cfgs which you can download and see almost everywhere. Almost every cfg of pro players is available for download.

Or you can e.g. get heartless or cats cfg in the lg acc thread. I admit that those lg sense script is one of the very few complicated things that can be done via a cfg. But the good thing is, you dont need to fully understand or think it through, as you can take it from one of the cfgs containing it.

Ofc some of us veterans forget that new guys probably dont know that cfgs are even existing. But not everyone in this community is just an ***ole and many are happy and willing to help.
    ID should maybe send newcomers to the getting started area of this forum instead of sending them to fight crash lol.

I also agree that "beeing a computer nerd" surely helps to set it up fast, but its still possible without beeing one thx to the gui, cfg generators, this forum and not last but not least the community which still contains many guys willing to help others to improve.

ofc console games are where the money is nowadays. But from my personnel experience there are still enough "video game nerds" (why do you call us nerds? hell we are one community :/) left.

yes thanks to this forum and some helpful people I tuned up my cfg. I"m a semi-nerd or else I wouldn't have bothered hehe.

+ Reply to Thread