+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: QL basic strafing guide by Grrrdian

*Roschach

QL basic strafing guide by Grrrdian

This was originally done by Grrrdian, but noticing a lack of guides on the new forums I thought I should add some.

Guide #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuUa-TQPkdM

Note: The steps detailed in the vid are the best way to learn circle jumping, they are not the order in which they are to be executed.
    Also note, vid above was recorded in Quake 3 Defrag, simply because it has a better interface for teaching. Regardless, every single thing in the vid is applicable to Quake Live, there is absolutely no reason why it can not or should not be used for teaching people in QL. Ignore anyone who says otherwise.

Anyway.

As detailed in the video above, Circle Jump is the first jump when Strafe Jumping.

The method described in the video is the best way to learn circle jumping. I have taught a lot of people, and invariably I end up having to teach them these steps, though they get muddled up from all the advice people give them.

Some common problems:
    1. People tell newbs that CJ is a FLICK of the mouse. So newbs flick the mouse as fast as they can, without regard to the other steps.

CJ IS NOT A FLICK. It is a fast, smooth, controlled, movement, where the speed of the "flick" is controlled, and the resultant angle is also controlled. It is all controlled. Sure, once it becomes muscle memory the whole process is executed in one smooth movement, as a flick (so to speak), but you can not teach people that. Muscle memory is not gained in a few seconds.

2. People tell newbs to hold forward key + strafe key. So newbs press both at the same time, while doing the flick.

Ok, the thing is, the forward key press is a seperate action from the strafe key press. You hold forward key to reach 320 ups, THEN you press strafe key while simultaneously moving the mouse in that controlled "flick".

I find people learn faster if they know WHY they're doing what they're doing. So, jump into Quake Live or Quake 3 Defrag, and try this out:
    * Move forward, and notice your UPS (units per second). It should be 320.
    * Now, while moving forward, move your mouse in the controlled flick you learnt in step 1. It should go up to like 385 (download and watch the vid above, watch in slow motion, you'll see me going to 385 in step 2). The point is, you will gain speed. This is step 2 btw.
    * Now, also mix in strafe key. You can gain as much as 405, though 395ish is fairly good (download and watch vid above, watch in slow motion, you'll see me going 395 and 402 after step 4. The optimal CJ goes to 408). This is step 3.

So, the whole point of the first 3 steps is to gain ground speed! Each of those distinct actions, or steps, will add to your speed, while you're on the ground. After gaining a good ground speed, you jump (step 4). This is a basic circle jump. An optimal circle jump involves moving the mouse even more, but very slowly and smoothly, while in midair (watch the last CJ in the vid above).

You should know, however, that angles are very important. So its not just a random movement of the mouse, there is such a thing as an optimal angle, which changes throughout the time you are performing the CJ. You will improve with practise, as you build a feel for it.

Please note, I am not familiar with exact speeds in QL, so take the numbers given above with a grain of salt. They should give a rough estimate though. 400 ground speed is good, landing speed after CJ of 530 is good. If you can get that, you are doing well.

Guide #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv2NvMoVkYU

Note: Vid above was recorded in, in part, using Quake 3 Defrag, simply because it has a better interface for teaching. Regardless, every single thing in the vid is applicable to Quake Live, there is absolutely no reason why it can not or should not be used for teaching people in QL. Ignore anyone who says otherwise.

Last strafe performed by XunderBird, demo found in OPC forums a few years back.

Vid above details how to perform a basic, single-beat strafe. Single beat refers to the most common way of strafe jumping. Its when you face left, then right, then left, then right etc. I do not show the first jump, which is called the circle jump, as that was covered in the first guide.

More detailed explanation of Strafe Jumping:

A person must first execute some form of a circle jump, and when landing, should be facing approximately 30 degrees left of where you want to go. DONT LET GO OF FORWARD. However, JUST before landing, switch from pressing left strafe (remember, im assuming left CJ start) to pressing right strafe, and at the same time flick mouse as fast as possible to 30 degrees right of where you want to go. You keep pressing right strafe and keep looking right till just before landing, then you switch strafe keys as well as the mouse to left. If this sequence is repeated, each jump will increase speed.

The two basic fundamentals of single beat strafe jumping are:
    a) Timing:
    By this i refer to the timing of the switch, or the shift from pressing one strafe key to letting go and pressing the other, while at the same time moving mouse to other side. this must be done as fast as possible for optimum results, and MUST be done JUST before landing. if done too late, ie upon contact with ground, friction will set in and all speed will be lost. If done too early, optimum speed wont be obtained, and you will be bottlenecked at a certain speed and acceleration.

b) Angles:
    This refers to where you point when strafing. according to the article i link below*, "in short, for single-beat strafing you should use an angle of about 29 initially, and increase this angle as you gain speed. The angle is about 36 at 1000ups"

EVERY single person who starts off trying to learn strafing will make a mistake in either one or both of these fundamentals. Newbs will either switch in mid air, often randomly and sometimes a few times in midair, and/or will have the wrong angles. Try strafing without moving mouse. You will not gain speed a lot. It is the same if you were to face too far to the left or the right*

* For an indepth analysis of strafe jumping, see http://www.funender.com/quake/info/strafing_theory.htm -- this is out of the bounds of this tutorial, but may be interesting to those that are mathematically minded.

** I'm know there are various methods of strafing, and you can point in lots of different directions, but for the purposes of this discussion, I am only talking about normal strafing.

Another good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrLBSSG9SRc

I will post some other guides soon.

*Asamawa
    Thank you so much! This helped TONS!

*Roschach
    No worries. I just hope more people notice this.

*Roschach
    Bump... This needs more attention.

*profuse
    "It's the RA don't ask silly questions!" made me chuckle. Nice vid for newbies topstuff mick!

Member T0bias is on a distinguished road
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfb_kwvhQ9c

This is the video I orignally used, went from having no idea to flawless execution every time

Member WishfulThinking is on a distinguished road
    nice and all, But seriously. How many 'tutorials' Have I seen about this?.
    Imo, There is too many people posting about how to strafe jump. 1 or 2 is fine. this many is crazy

*Asamawa
    Quote Originally Posted by WishfulThinking View Post
    nice and all, But seriously. How many 'tutorials' Have I seen about this?.
    Imo, There is too many people posting about how to strafe jump. 1 or 2 is fine. this many is crazy
    Yeah but for people like me we need at the help we can get. I have watched hundreds of videos, read tons of guides, spent tons and tons of time practicing, and still can't do it. I've tryed forever with little progress.

*Asamawa
    Ok so this sucks. I just tryed to do the bridge to rail on campgrounds 108 times. And I didn't make it a single time.

Senior Member RAZ3R is on a distinguished road
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...orial-video%29

Is by far the best ql strafing guide imo.

+ Reply to Thread