View Poll Results: Do we need QL-Defrag?

Voters
587. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Wanna have this

540 91.99%
  • No, dont need that

27 4.60%
  • I dont care

20 3.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Defrag as QL - Mod

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by m3t3or View Post
    I think the best possibility would be, if people have to agree to some terms, wihch says somethin like "I am responsible for all content of this map, ID has nothing to do with it .. blabla" before giving a map free for other players. Sothat ID cannot be punished by law for foreign maps.
    there are a lot of workarounds. i think mine is the best way to avoid all the legal things, but theres still the ripoff aspect, where people can steal years of work from someone and get all the credit for no work at all.

if there were textures someone wanted that werent in the texture set, they could either make the texture illegally/legally, send it to iD and they could remake it or something...

there are dozens of workarounds, and legal issues cuz of illegit software is no reason to not allow community maps, if they really cared about making a good game. with every update for this game, the more i feel like its just a "sandbox", where iD can just play around with it and dont have to worry about money, or making people happy, or w/e. it feels like its not meant to be a complete game, but more like a little side project that can be ruined/destroyed with no worries. most of the people who play quake are oldschool anyway, and the only people who would play iDs new, modern games, would be either hardcore id (gonna start writing id not iD) fans, or newschool gamers who are only looking for flair and dont care about gameplay, which is what quake is all about: hardcore gameplay.

so basically, quake is dead to id, and theyre proving it with QL. imo.

Senior Member m3t3or is on a distinguished road m3t3or's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenIgnition View Post
    there are a lot of workarounds. i think mine is the best way to avoid all the legal things, but theres still the ripoff aspect, where people can steal years of work from someone and get all the credit for no work at all.

if there were textures someone wanted that werent in the texture set, they could either make the texture illegally/legally, send it to iD and they could remake it or something...
    whine whine ... ID, people are bastard_s ... whine whine
    This ripoff aspect is totally nonsense ... its not like anybody would be paid for providing defrag maps to the community. The only thing you can steal is the honor.
    So it does not make that much sense to "steal" a map. Anyhow ... if you show your map to a "friend" befor it is finished and he is commiting the map as "his map", than maybe you should consider to end friendship with that guy. This is more about "trusting the wrong person" than about "stealing".

This ripoff aspect is totally nonsense ... its not like anybody would be paid for providing defrag maps to the community. The only thing you can steal is the honor.
    So it does not make that much sense to "steal" a map. Anyhow ... if you show your map to a "friend" befor it is finished and he is commiting the map as "his map", than maybe you should consider to end friendship with that guy. This is more about "trusting the wrong person" than about "stealing".
    its not nonsense because its free. people still want fame, popularity, etc. etc. money is just one factor. hell, there are people who would steal others' work just for the sake of pissing that person off. obviously if someone screwed you over that bad, you would end that friendship immediately, but it would be a little too late. thats a different topic though.

if someone steals your map, gives it to id, and gets no $$ for it, while you were planning on selling it to some other company or for some other game, you would lose $$ because they would already have the map, and for free too.

the point is, the ripoff aspect is completely sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by KittenIgnition View Post
    its not nonsense because its free. people still want fame, popularity, etc. etc. money is just one factor. hell, there are people who would steal others' work just for the sake of pissing that person off. obviously if someone screwed you over that bad, you would end that friendship immediately, but it would be a little too late. thats a different topic though.

if someone steals your map, gives it to id, and gets no $$ for it, while you were planning on selling it to some other company or for some other game, you would lose $$ because they would already have the map, and for free too.

the point is, the ripoff aspect is completely sensible.
    Even if the ripof-aspect exists, as you already said, it's a different topic. I think this issue will get more importent after ID finally decided to provide us with some kind of "defrag" at all. I think currently there is no benefit to talk about your issue, since the basis (QL-defrag) is still missing.
    Hope I will have the honor to experience QL-defrag in this life

Even if the ripof-aspect exists, as you already said, it's a different topic. I think this issue will get more importent after ID finally decided to provide us with some kind of "defrag" at all. I think currently there is no benefit to talk about your issue, since the basis (QL-defrag) is still missing.
    Hope I will have the honor to experience QL-defrag in this life
    completely true. i dont need to argue with this. all the lawsuit crap can be dealt with when its necessary, and thats only after some sort of movement-based gamemode comes into QL. i would LOVE to see ghost work on a couple QL maps. it would be amazing. i love his maps.

- modified first post according to some of the comments

Senior Member Jason_ is on a distinguished road Jason_'s Avatar
    bump10char

bump10char

*anthem_
    As much as I love DeFrag, I don't think it should be brought (in its entirety) to Quake Live. Fast Caps and Runs servers would be great, but freestyle lacks a bit without Overbounces. Plus, freestyle has already developed far beyond the point of these players. Quake Live players do things that Quake 3 players were doing about 4 years ago. There's nothing wrong with that, but it seems pointless to reintroduce it because they won't be able to use overbounces, which is one of the most important parts of freestyle.

+1 for runs and fast caps, though.

Yeah, personally, I'm not interested in the freestyle aspect of defrag whatsoever.

+ Reply to Thread