View Poll Results: Do we need QL-Defrag?

Voters
586. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Wanna have this

539 91.98%
  • No, dont need that

27 4.61%
  • I dont care

20 3.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Defrag as QL - Mod

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CeXeC View Post
    Bolded Text for defrag
    This is awesomeness IMO. Basically I came to realize DeFrag, although awesome in a sense of going fast and breaking boundaries like post says, is not geared towards quakelive, especially some folks and their dedication that lasts 3 minutes....

All I play is iCTF. I turned all the maps I play into defrag zones of my own because my whining about it fell on what seemed deaf ears.
    I don't ever play D in iCTF, and I always run ahead on strafe happy offense. I get shot down alot BUT, I've gotten to the point where I'm jumping through my map jumps, like a dog through hoops, now only I have to hit my targets and not die and keep the jump going. Albeit very hard at times, it is the most rewarding gameplay I've encountered so far.
    I rarely have a positive kdr and I often times land first or second place,... the mentality of this gameplay is not rewarding in an apparent external way. But I have learned to go fast, hit my jumps and hit my marks,... sometimes. When I'm twisting through mid dueling keeps and landing rails in the enemy window, I get a headtrip, I wont lie. When I find a jump in base siege I've never seen anyone do and use it to trick a foe I want to try other things too.

My closing, a game mode that took other individuals like me who enjoy this challenge and pitted them through maps that REQUIRE strafejumping and timing, would be awesome. With proper instruction it would make many poor-average-new players better... quick.

+1

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    There are already *some* target maps in defrag where you have to activate doors to continue by shooting an opening mechanism whilst still moving or slow down and mess up your course time, can't name any off hand, but I've played a few. Also I have to post these two defrag movies because they have the greatest soundtracks ever - Buzzblade, pay attention to 8min25 in the second one

W3sp strafes
    f33l

For the haters that think defragging is pointless, I ask you what separates Quake from most other shooters... the movement.

There are many many situations on every map where better movement not only increases your speed but also increases your options - to name a few specific ones: Bridge to rail on DM6, different jumps to RA on Aerowalk, plasma climb to RA on ZTN, different jumps from RA on Toxicity. That's just the mainstream duel maps which are in most competition map pools... (not DM6 anymore). In CTF, movement is even more important, not just for trick jumps to take different routes - of which there are again many - but also in escaping your pursuers OR at least maintaining the distance rather than getting caught up easily (or vice versa for defenders). CA of course requires mastery of rocket jumping as well, even in TDM and FFA some faster movement might enable you to get to a weapon or health first.

Sure, you can practice all the different trick jumps til your hands cramp whilst on your own in a practice server or while getting shot at by people online... or you can have some fun racing people around obstacle courses, watching to see how the best person on the server moves and then transfer those skills into learning the jumps in a fraction of the time... and ofc gazhud helps a ton in trying to perfect strafe angles and your initial circle jump.

I'd love to see it but I do have doubts about how id will manage to get the maps for it... F1
    Last edited by Phlogiston; 07-13-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Member mind_in_a_box is on a distinguished road
    Actually I don't think they will go for it, even it was pretty cool if they did. Bringing Defrag to QL would be much of hard work for the devs, or would bring a lot of change to QL.

They introduced plenty of new game-modes lately, so why not defrag too? I tell you why:
    As stated in the OP, Defrag needs special maps. All other modes can be played on the existing maps, so it wasn't really much work to implement them. Defrag can't be played or just isn't really fun on them.

So they would have to make maps for Defrag only, which is a lot of work. Probably they would be porting some maps from the community if they were about to add Defrag, but still. Much work for maps which can be played on only one game-mode.

Other thing would be opening the servers for custom-maps, which actually would be pretty awesome, but I don't think id will go for that either. Too much checking would be need to be done. Has the map copyrighted content in it? Illegal content? Offending content? This all isn't a problem if the game-servers are ran on your own servers, but since they are running them they don't want any problems from some guy who puts some copyrighted music into one of his maps.

Either way, not easy.

I personally would love to see Defrag in QL, but I don't really think the devs would go for it.
    Last edited by mind_in_a_box; 06-28-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Member jacksonpark is on a distinguished road
    I was very disappointed to find out that the guy who made w3sp and f33l aka w3sp. Was caught cheating 2010 by the mdr admin.
    He used some advanced scrips and +left/right and other weird things.

aside from that, his movies looks awesome and the routes are amazing. I would have never thought of them.
    And F1 for this suggestion, i play defrag every now and then. I would easily go PRO if they decided to implement defrag into QL.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonpark View Post
    I was very disappointed to find out that the guy who made w3sp and f33l aka w3sp. Was caught cheating 2010 by the mdr admin.
    He used some advanced scrips and +left/right and other weird things.
    I tried to track down the truth of this story having been amazed at watching those vids and the most concrete thing I found (which isn't very concrete at all) was this:
    http://www.q3df.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=123

He did have an advanced script for getting perfect RJ's and cornering BUT that was before cl_yaw and cl_pitch were made into cheat protected cvars. In other words he was just using the basic tools of the game in a way that was allowed at the time. When those cvars were made cheat protected, he no longer used them.

I also heard of allegations that he had keyboard and mouse capture software which he used to prerecord his runs... again saw nothing concrete about it. The only part that I'm inclined to believe is that maybe the end sequence of f33l was a scripted run... but then as a complete defrag noob, who am I to comment on whether that type of freestyle messing about is possible or not.

Whether it was a witch-hunt or whether there was some truth to the allegations will only be known by a small handful of people.

Member jacksonpark is on a distinguished road
    Indeed, im also a defrag noob but the end of f33l was a complete **. No human can do that, not in one take .)
    But i dont think there was any "world record timing" so he was just trying to show some flashy moves.

Still he has had a long history of suspections by other pro players.

Anyhoozer, Quakelive should implement defrag just so that the normal players get education about the physics and learn how to play both cpm and vq3. It requires extreme creativeness from the players part.

Celestia

Junior Member aero8 is on a distinguished road
    Definitely F1.

*SeljAcina
    WE ALL NEED DEFRAG CPM AND VQ3 MOD! Please Quake
    God,make it happen!?

Senior Member m3t3or is on a distinguished road m3t3or's Avatar
    small *bump* for an old, but still valid thread

Junior Member opcion is on a distinguished road
    f1

10chars

+ Reply to Thread