View Poll Results: Do we need QL-Defrag?

Voters
587. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Wanna have this

540 91.99%
  • No, dont need that

27 4.60%
  • I dont care

20 3.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Defrag as QL - Mod

Senior Member m3t3or is on a distinguished road m3t3or's Avatar

DeFRaG as QL - Mod

DeFRaG is a still heavily played mod in the Q3 community ... why not as well provide it in QL to get the Q3 de-fragers into the QL boat?

You dont know what DeFRaG is?
    Read this:
    Wikipedia - DeFRaG
    and watch this:
    w3sp strafes - Quake3 Defrag movie
    or this:
    f33l - Quake3 Defrag Movie
    or this:
    Q3 | Kaleidoscope - Shaolin Productions

Including DeFRaG as QL mod would mean:
    - provide 5-10 standart DeFRaG maps (as well for the no-subscription user) .... they need to be lured!
    - allow users to play thair own maps online (only in defrag mod) (only Pro/Premium members)
    - allow everybody to download foreign map automatically if you connect to a server with a unknown map (only Pro/Premium members)
    - provide a way to couple the map-creator to any legality issues with his map so that ID cannot be punished by law for foreign maps.
    - provide exact timers + necessary cvars
    - provide ghosts

As well nice to have, but not essential:
    - show other players on the same map as ghosts, so that no interaction is possible. (can be enabled/disabled)
    - provide some sort of ingame-highscore-table for each official QL-defrag map.
    - if sb reaches the top 10 on a map, his demo is uploaded to the highscore-table. Everybody can download it.
    - provide some kind of "race" between different players on a defrag-map with/without interaction
    - provide a possibility to enable cpm physics in QL-defrag
    - possibly add some of the "Quake2 jump" ideas
    - add some kind of team-mod ... maps which only can be solved together

Please leave your post AND vote to show, that there is a real demand for QL-DeFRaG !
    Last edited by m3t3or; 06-28-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Senior Member Salamatiqus is on a distinguished road Salamatiqus's Avatar
    F1
    The only thig I aware is overbounces. They do not exist in QL
    bind END "quit'

Senior Member sample2501 is on a distinguished road
    yeah, most map would be not possible without OB. and the make a map and other pro's can download it: no. copyright issues!

there is a need for QL "defrag" maps, or heavy adepting of the old ones.. but i would love to see DeFrag in QL!

Senior Member fraggedICE is on a distinguished road
    F​​​​​​​​1

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    i have mixed feelings about defrag in QL. I love tricking (way more than fragging), so of course a gamemode geared toward it would be ideal, but since the QL physics are "watered down" vq3 physics, it prolly wouldnt be the best idea. We already have a few run maps designed for QL physics, and a way to convert q3 maps to QL easily, which is good, but q3 maps cant really be run in QL cuz acceleration is way slower in QL.

ive always been a fan of cpm, and QL is practically half-speed, without all the awesome physics like DJ and air control. So lack of cpm physics would be a big problem. Then theres OB. Defrag without OB cant be considered defrag. its just not right. bringing some sort of OB-style jump to QL (bring back physics glitches ftw ) would make me fall in love with QL all over again :P

so basically, defrag without cpm or overbounces isnt defrag. adding all the fancy cvars would be cool but it would never be the same. change is good, but when q3 defrag is as close to perfect as possible, it might not be the best idea in this case. newayz, would be interesting to see how iD could possibly ruin defrag. i pressed f1

Senior Member nordag is an unknown quantity at this point nordag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenIgnition View Post
    i pressed f1
    KISS
    F1 . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nordag View Post
    KISS
    F1 . . . .
    no

its a forum, meant for discussing ideas and stuff. thats my idea, and my opinion. defrag in QL would be good but not great.

*function9
    Please leave your post AND vote to show, that there is a real demand for defrag!
    Is there, a demand I mean? There's still a community that's doing fine on it's own. I read one of the [defrag related] forums from time to time and I haven't seen anyone yet say, "God, why isn't defrag in quakelive!"

And that's kinda a poor choice of video to use as an example seeing that there's 2 or 3 vq3 runs, the rest are cpm. I'd have a hard time seeing id implement cpm physics for one gamemode, that'd just open the door to more complaining about getting it in other modes as well. Which I believe they already said isn't going to happen.

Personally I don't see defrag in quakelive offering anything over what already exists in q3, and may I add, for free too.
    Last edited by function9; 10-15-2010 at 12:58 PM.

*a13x0rc1st616
    I'm not a fan of deefrag but something like Mario Cart-ish marathon game mode would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by function9 View Post
    Is there, a demand I mean? There's still a community that's doing fine on it's own. I read one of the [defrag related] forums from time to time and I haven't seen anyone yet say, "God, why isn't defrag in quakelive!"

And that's kinda a poor choice of video to use as an example seeing that there's 2 or 3 vq3 runs, the rest are cpm. I'd have a hard time seeing id implement cpm physics for one gamemode, that'd just open the door to more complaining about getting it in other modes as well. Which I believe they already said isn't going to happen.

Personally I don't see defrag in quakelive offering anything over what already exists in q3, and may I add, for free too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9aAI5oAM0c

that one is more vq3, with only a couple cpm runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_LizQVKZFE

pretty sure thats mostly/all vq3, and aside from overbounces, could apply more to QL (freestyle is more applicable because you dont need to add game mechanics or map entities [timer_start etc.]).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8tsYGbD1jU

that one is also pretty applicable, for the same reasons as the freestyle one. theres no need for added game mechanics or map entities, since its just going from flag A to flag B, and that already starts/stops the timer (some defrag run maps converted to ql had flags instead of timers, to show that they serve the same purpose and work equally as well).

+ Reply to Thread