+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill Ranking and Matchmaking Enhancements

*NoGods
    Where can I find the "small protected haven...available for the least skilled players to sharpen their skills before joining up into other matches" that you refer to? In games supposedly skill matched for me, I'm often overwhelmed by the skills of many of the other players; frequently I can't get more than 5 frags in a 50-frag game.

Banned MANthrax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGods View Post
    Where can I find the "small protected haven...available for the least skilled players to sharpen their skills before joining up into other matches" that you refer to? In games supposedly skill matched for me, I'm often overwhelmed by the skills of many of the other players; frequently I can't get more than 5 frags in a 50-frag game.
    All you can really do is "check your feelings" at the door and let all of the hateful comments roll off of your back. Find some friends to join and create your own server. You can also make friend your own level and set times to play. Be sure and set the max number of players so somebody doesn't come along and ruin your game. Keep practicing we want you to stay. When playing in "General Population" games steer clear of the top dogs unless your packing 200 health and some good armor. You could also look for some duels. Good luck and just have fun, its a game to be enjoyed.

Junior Member Franky4 is on a distinguished road
    This skillrating system obviously has it's own downs and ups. At least what I noticed playing that you loose skillrating sooo quickly if you play few games with lower skillrating players. I averaged about 40-45 past week. Yesterday played few games with lower tier friends (about 20). Won all of them and now by skillrating down graded to 20 ... All the people who joins me right now is completely rapped (20-1) or so ... Finding my lever opponents is nightmare right now cus I have to refresh server list all the time and look for dark red, can't join server and wait for people to join me.

Dear QL development team, Please read my thread "The Final Solution for Shuffle and realated problems". Couple of us discussed shuffle and its problems and I kind of summarized it at the end (as of this post), might be in the middle bottom now.

*NoGods
    As long as strong players are allowed to join games matched for weaker players, all the skills-matching algorithms in the world won't be very useful. I still regularly find myself in games dominated by a strong player or two who has obviously joined a game at a skill level much lower than his own. Why not enforce skill levels, at least on some games, so that one can't join a lower-skilled game? It's the only way I'd want to become a paying member of QuakeLive.

Quote Originally Posted by NoGods View Post
    As long as strong players are allowed to join games matched for weaker players, all the skills-matching algorithms in the world won't be very useful. I still regularly find myself in games dominated by a strong player or two who has obviously joined a game at a skill level much lower than his own. Why not enforce skill levels, at least on some games, so that one can't join a lower-skilled game? It's the only way I'd want to become a paying member of QuakeLive.
    I wrote a post on "competition room" or "auto shuffle" room options. Please check it out and give feedback. In this particular instance a great player cannot join a game unless their is another same skilled player in spectator with him ready to go and they will be placed on each team balancing the power.

*CarlGustav
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrderFace View Post
    evidently, the ball has been dropped.
    The tiers worked brilliantly in the beta and they changed when going live. I cannot understand the logic involved in that decision. I agree, ball well and truly dropped.

Please make it work like it did in the beta. That's why I paid for it.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    I've been playing since the closed beta, and for FFA certainly the matching has never been better.
    Players don't know where they are in their tier and if they're near the bottom then they are likely to be destroyed by someone right at the top, this is unavoidable, there is no way to have a tier of just clones of you.

The beta systems with dynamic ranked servers just didn't work as every game rapidly became a top tier came as slightly higher skilled players joined in and the level of the server went up eventually opening it up to the highest tier, so high players joined actually seeing it listed as being at their level, and then the players on the server are unhappy as they saw it listed as their level when they joined, which was a much lower level.

The separations are quite large. tier 1 (locked out) and then of the remainder split 25% - 50% - 25%. But without such broad tiers far fewer games would show as available to people. And it should me on average people get more game time with people roughly near their own level than the creeping-server-apocalypse it was before.
    It's certainly more fair than quake3 that simply had no tiers at all. a tier3 player will never be in a game with a tier4 player unless they joined a server or two up.

It's certainly significantly better for higher tier players, I don't get offered games that turn out to have players I would expect not to be in the top 25% any more.

The improvements I would like to see would be more information in game, a server tier reminder colour in the scoreboard, player tier icons for the players and a current average displayed without having to manually hack it into the display yourself with hud editing.

This way people know what's going on.

I've had people raging at me for 'tierslumming' and told in no uncertain (or clean mouthed) terms to leave servers marked top tier with a current sv_Skillrating of 93-99 (it's out of 100).

Junior Member taoa is on a distinguished road
    Is the rating system based on (or it just plain is 100%) Glicko or Glicko2?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    I've been playing since the closed beta, and for FFA certainly the matching has never been better.
    Players don't know where they are in their tier and if they're near the bottom then they are likely to be destroyed by someone right at the top, this is unavoidable, there is no way to have a tier of just clones of you.

The beta systems with dynamic ranked servers just didn't work as every game rapidly became a top tier came as slightly higher skilled players joined in and the level of the server went up eventually opening it up to the highest tier, so high players joined actually seeing it listed as being at their level, and then the players on the server are unhappy as they saw it listed as their level when they joined, which was a much lower level.

The separations are quite large. tier 1 (locked out) and then of the remainder split 25% - 50% - 25%. But without such broad tiers far fewer games would show as available to people. And it should me on average people get more game time with people roughly near their own level than the creeping-server-apocalypse it was before.
    It's certainly more fair than quake3 that simply had no tiers at all. a tier3 player will never be in a game with a tier4 player unless they joined a server or two up.

It's certainly significantly better for higher tier players, I don't get offered games that turn out to have players I would expect not to be in the top 25% any more.

The improvements I would like to see would be more information in game, a server tier reminder colour in the scoreboard, player tier icons for the players and a current average displayed without having to manually hack it into the display yourself with hud editing.

This way people know what's going on.

I've had people raging at me for 'tierslumming' and told in no uncertain (or clean mouthed) terms to leave servers marked top tier with a current sv_Skillrating of 93-99 (it's out of 100).
    @ the "a tier 3 player will never be in a game with a tier 4 player" part...I'm pretty sure there was a tier 1 or 2 player in a tier 4 CTF server...I was spectating them and it made me want to cry...lol
    I'm going to assume they were tier 2 though and joined a red server...but really...they ended up with a kd of like 0-40...I joined the game with a few minutes left and passed them in score in like a minute...but I'm not really complaining much other than it was jst really weird to see that low a player in a tier 4 match...all of us in the server were dumbfounded haha

+ Reply to Thread