+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I cannot bunny hopping

Junior Member armitagebron is on a distinguished road

Talking I cannot bunny hopping

Hi guys. I'm such a dummy. I've watched a tons of video tutorials and read a lot about. Of course I've tried to practice in game. I have never played in old Quake series, I started a week ago in Quake Live. My max speed in trying bunny hopping is approximate 420. I can't increase it any more.
    1. I hold down W(forward)
    2. I jump
    3. While in the air I'm pressing one strafe(A(left for example)) and simultaneously turning a little bit mouse in horizontal direction in the same side as a strafe(left in this case)
    4. Before landing I release A key, but still holding W
    5. When I touched ground I jumped and right after I strafe in opposite direction(D now) and simultaneously turn mouse right.
    But it sucks. Help Plz

Senior Member emilie is on a distinguished road
    haha. You are not a dummy. It takes a little bit of practice and then once you get it, you get it.
    I remember when I could get 500 and thought that was so good. Then some guys showed me some things and now I regularly strafe in the high 600's - when necessary of course. (I know the super players can do faster, but I am fine with what I do, sooo....)

The only thing I do not understand is how you cannot go above 420. QL was changed so that just holding down forward and hitting jump regularly (without strafing) will trigger automatic bunny hopping and getting well over 550 is automatic. This is in a long straight line and only for fun. (In a game, you would be easily fragged doing just straight line automatic bunny hopping.)

Finding someone who can show you in an empty server is really helpful, so maybe you can ask someone. Only suggesting this because you mentioned that you watched a lot of videos.

Did you see this one?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSNNhUAVRuA

Also, if you are in a race server, the default movement has air control. So in those servers, you can go way faster. But first learn how to do it in regular servers. (Oddly, racing actually helped me strafe better.....so when I am in regular servers, it then became easier for me. But I don't know if that is what you will experience.)

Member Cobra is on a distinguished road
    Helps to turn off autohop as well.

cg_autohop 0

Senior Member M0SLEY will become famous soon enough M0SLEY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Helps to turn off autohop as well.

cg_autohop 0
    Autohop is probably easier for newbies TBH. There is no real disadvantage to it so if he finds it easier then he should probably leave it set to 1.

I think the main thing that will help you is practicing your circle jump. You should be able to hit 500 ups in 2 jumps quite easily. Keep practicing!

These should help...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iab9w9sHmY

Thumbs down

Thank you very much, guys. It's still bad. But I'm trying. Here's video with circle & strafe jumps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2haC8Xwzap8

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by armitagebron View Post
    Thank you very much, guys. It's still bad. But I'm trying. Here's video with circle & strafe jumps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2haC8Xwzap8
    Video is set to private.

Sorry. Fixed.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Why move the mouse up and down so much? hehe

Can you not move side to side without going up and down like that? Looks really strange, like you're some sort of psychotic rabbit.

Junior Member Hemmingfish is on a distinguished road
    It looks like you're focusing way too much on the mouse movement. Strafing barely requires any mouse movement, just enough to keep traveling in a sort of straight line.

Here's me doing the quake live strafe practice map.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNUlx-eq5zs

You'll notice I barely move the mouse at all while accelerating to ~700 along the pads in the third section. You'll accelerate as long as you stay on the same side, but your path will curve in that direction so you have to swap to the other side to keep straight. From my time spent in Defrag I got into the habit of doing small mouse movements which keeps me straighter for longer, so I can get away with two bounces per side.

Start on a wide open map and try to strafe just in one direction to see how you accelerate. Once you can build up a decent speed (600-700 should be easy enough in an open map), try to swap to the other side while maintaining the speed. Eventually you'll get a feel for it and when to swap, which lets you strafe in a straight line down narrow paths.
    Last edited by Hemmingfish; 08-22-2015 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Removed "First off", because I never had a second point.

+ Reply to Thread