+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forever waiting for authentication

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road

Forever waiting for authentication

Hello guys,

I sometimes (mostly after a crash) have this. I have connection to the internet. I can run and log in to quake. I can see servers. But I can't see anyone in chat (it says 0 online even if there are people online) and I can't join a server. When I try to join it gets stuck on 'waiting for authentication'. And 'awaiting gamestate' or something like that. Once tried it for like 15 mins but no result. Mostly a reboot of my computer helps. A restart of quake does never help, not even when I force to close all the processes with ctrl+shift+esc. But sometimes a reboot (or three) doesn't even work and I just can't play.
    Can anyone adress this problem / does anyone have a fix?

KaasMan

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Standalone or Steam? I had the zero friends online issue before moving to Steam, but it hasn't happened at all since.

Member QLPT is on a distinguished road
    Keep trying the "web_reload" command until it works. Might take like 7 tries or so

Member BoLyDuDe is on a distinguished road
    "/web_reload" always works for me first time

Senior Member Riot_GrrL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BoLyDuDe View Post
    "/web_reload" always works for me first time
    If your online friends list doesn't show up, or all the clan invites you're ignoring (Or maybe that's just me) then you know that you'll get this error.
    as Qlpt says, open the console (by pressing the key below the escape key and to the left of the 1. I have no idea what it's called or what it's for) and type web_reload.

In fact, when you start Quake, if you open the console and see a repeating message saying something about authentication failing or whatever, you know you're gonna have to reload. It usually works first time for me too, but it can take as many as 10 tries. Maybe more. I think it's a bit of a chance thing. Like the chance of having to reload twice is less than once. 3 times, less than twice, etc. I dunno.

Member FunkyFlava is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Riot_GrrL View Post
    the key below the escape key and to the left of the 1. I have no idea what it's called or what it's for
    I believe it's called a tilde.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyFlava View Post
    Only on English keyboards. For me it's §.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Only on English keyboards. For me it's §.
    Denna symbol kallas "section sign". Svenska tangenbordet inte alltför konstigt, kunde vara värre.

Senior Member Riot_GrrL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyFlava View Post
    What's it for? I mean, there is no dash on a keyboard -- people have to use two hyphens -- and that's something we actually use. I say don't add random gibberish symbols until they have all the important stuff. It's like adding a smiley face buttom, but leaving out the letter W.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riot_GrrL View Post
    What's it for? I mean, there is no dash on a keyboard -- people have to use two hyphens -- and that's something we actually use. I say don't add random gibberish symbols until they have all the important stuff. It's like adding a smiley face buttom, but leaving out the letter W.
    It's use a lot in mathematics, computing (home dir on linux), various programming languages, and if you're not into that, it's highly commonly used in English to mean 'Approximately'

+ Reply to Thread