+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Premium features enhancement

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar

Premium features enhancement

*Note : In most situations in this topic, "premium players" will include "pro players". *

What is in this thread ?
    In this thread are ideas to get more people to subscribe for pro and premium.

Why would we do that ?
    Because we don't want Quake Live to close and we know that without income from players, it will.

How would you do that ?
    By improving the Pay2Play experience. As it is now, we only hear paying players whine that the premium servers are empty.

Why are they empty ?
    Because there are not enough premium/pro players.

How could we change that ?
    By improving the Pay2Play experience. As it is now, we only hear paying players whine that the premium servers are empty.

Get to the point!
    Alright.
    1. We could attack the "empty premium servers" problem directly.
      How?
      By allowing freebies to enter!
      But then what's the point to pay?
      To get over the limitations.
      Which limitations?
      The number of free players in the match should be limited by the number of premium members in the match. Let's say that there is a server with 4 premiums. Up to 4 freebies could be able to join them.
      Hey, that would mean that by subscribing, I would allow even more freebies into the premium servers?
      Yep. A new reason to buy it.
      I'd also never have to worry about not being able to enjoy premium content?
      Exactly.
      Won't that be hard to program?
      I don't think so. There already exists a queue system for the duel servers. Small modifications could do it : Let's say there are 4 premiums and 4 freebies in the game + 3 freebies waiting and spectating.
      A new premium enters the game --> The first to have entered to queue enters the game as well.
      Another thing that could be added with a simple deque :
      A premium leaves the game --> The last freebie to have joined the game is thrown back into the waiting list (at the first place so he'll be the next to join) at the end of the round (yea, it sucks, but freebies have to be reminded that they don't pay).
      If the game is full : Take out the last joined freebie to allow a premium.
      Votes? Don't allow freebies to vote on premium servers!
    2. The free premium week came with a promising idea : The free 1 month token that could be given to anyone. The biggest problem was that "anyone" included "yourself". Don't expect a lot of people to be generous... The other problem was that only those subscribing that week could get the token.
      What does that change?
      Well, there obviously won't be a lot of freebies receiving a free "real premium experience" sample (the whole week wasn't a real sample, although the idea was very good because there might be a lot of players who didn't understand that).
      So?
      Well, I don't know for you, but I don't like much to pay for things I don't know.
      You can also add the fact that a player who didn't want to pay in the first place might enjoy it enough to buy.
      I'll put it simply : The more freebies get to try the premium features, the more freebies will subscribe.
      Alright. But what are your solutions to these problems?
      Well, the first one is obvious. Don't allow a token owner to keep it or give it to another premium. It's a free token anyone, he won't complain.
      The second thing you have to do is to give EVERY subscriber a token they can give away.
      The third thing is that you would probably be better to reduce the given time by half.
      The fourth thing is only to bypass what a clever user could do : Create a second account to give it the token at the end of the first account subscription. You simply have to fix a deadline at (subscription_end - token_length) for a user to give his token.
    3. Give more freedom to pro when they create their servers. Keep in mind that the results of these matches could be rejected from general statistics, if that's what's keeping you from doing that. Stats are not that important that players would refuse to play in a modified server...
    4. MOAR players. ^^

Anything else? I will update if I think of anything or if I see nice ideas on this topic.
    What YOU can do to make these ideas come true (if you think they should):
    -Give your opinion and arguments.
    -Post, post, post and post in this topic (but don't flood).
    -Send links to this topic! In every related discussion (there are so many in the General Discussion forum...). It's also very effective against whiners to say "If you think blablabla sucks, try to improve it instead of crying [link]".The more people know about it, discuss about it and ask id about it, the more chances are it will be accepted.

~~~~~
    EDIT history :
    Changed "kicked" to "thrown back into the waiting list (at the first place so he'll be the next to join)" to suit my idea better.
    Last edited by FlashSoul; 12-20-2010 at 09:19 AM.

*Dehumaniz3d
    Well the idea is that it would negate all the reasons (previous ones) of becoming a subscriber, and most people still wouldn't buy the premium, I myself would rather wait 20 minutes in que to play aerowalk for free rather than pay for it.Also your suggestion means, that if premium players leave the game, all free palyers would get kicked - unfair, it messes up the stats!

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Seriously?
    I mean, what is the proportion of "active freebies"/"active premium"? 1/20?
    Adding that would be enough to let premiums enjoy premium content but it wouldn't in any way be enough to let free users do so.
    Not until the ratio get closer to something like 1/3 at the very least.

Also, the 1 premium = 1 free can be changed to 2 premium = 1 free at that point if Id want. Or simply get ride of it since there'll already be enough premiums.

About the kicking out : I'm pretty sure freebies would take the risk. And anyway they'd get back to first position on the queue...
    (Yea they'd have to fix the current loss/quit bugs and stuff like that too I guess.)

Senior Member z33r0 is on a distinguished road
    honestly, the idea that a subscriber multiplies itself on premium servers due to the fixed freebee factor is just brilliant. if just 1 subscribes, there are like 4 more people on premium content, which makes it 4 times more worthfully than before. thus getting probably new subscribers. thats like a win/win spiral.

and it should be like you said, a premium doenst have to explicitly invite a friend (he should be able though), but the ratio is providing more player instantly since people uknown to the subscriber can join.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucci View Post
    Nay, you speaketh the truth when you trollth with pure ownage. No mod shall cast his shadow upon your divine aura!

*Roschach
    I have to say this is probably one of most constructive posts I've read concerning the premium content.

I think most, if not all of this could be implemented and it would be a good solution.

+1

Senior Member z33r0 is on a distinguished road
    the freebee factor might be adjusted if a certain saturation level is reached, though. maybe start with 4:1 and then later lower it to 2:1
    Quote Originally Posted by crucci View Post
    Nay, you speaketh the truth when you trollth with pure ownage. No mod shall cast his shadow upon your divine aura!

Thank you fellow quakers .

Don't forget to spread the link if you see anybody whining without suggesting a viable solution . The more people read and comment this thread, the bigger the chances are that it will be noticed by ID.
    Also, don't be shy if you have ideas yourself. Try to see every possibility, every way it could be abused, the solutions, the way you would implement it if you know a little about programming... and post!

Junior Member dakilla is on a distinguished road
    awesome idea <3

*nudefox
    hawly crud thats a good idea

*Ehh
    All very good ideas, though this one especially catches my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    [*]Give more freedom to pro when they create their servers. Keep in mind that the results of these matches could be rejected from general statistics, if that's what's keeping you from doing that. Stats are not that important that players would refuse to play in a modified server...[*]
    For myself, and I can only imagine many others, this would be a real selling point. Being able to play with others online in custom maps would be a great feature imo.

+ Reply to Thread