+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Server Scripts

Junior Member coke_a_cola is on a distinguished road

Server Scripts

Ok, server scripts are cool they add a fun way to interact etc etc.. but they are not fun when they dictate who can be on the server. For example I tried to join a server today called Teir2demo. When I tired to join the game it immediately forced me to spec because I didn't have an ELO of 1600+ but it was the only server available to me with players in it... I don't think these "SCRIPTS" should be allowed to dictate who is able to join.. I mean this is a community, its for fun... now I can't play because there are no other servers with players on it... Quake Live i think this needs to be address.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Such bots can only be run on servers that were started by players with pro subscriptions, as such it's their server and they're just using the script to speed up enforcing their rules which they'd otherwise be doing manually themselves.

There is an argument that if they want a closed system they should run the server as private, but then that reduces their player pool down to people actually on their friends list, rather than the hundreds or thousands of players at the skill level they want to play against, so it's a tricky situation.

Certainly in this case I think they've mislabled the server quite badly, the ones I see at least try to give an indication that the server is for high level players, this one that you mentions seems to be inviting tier 2 players, but then is set too high for them to play.

Senior Member JDB_ is on a distinguished road JDB_'s Avatar
    If they only want people above 1600 why even bother trying? You know if you were able to join and weren't doing as well they would just kick you anyway. yeah it sucks when there's no servers up but that's just the way it is. Better to just not join the servers that might be hostile towards you.

Junior Member coke_a_cola is on a distinguished road
    all valid points and i get them... however what is the point of the quake ranking system quake live tells me that it is a good server for me to play on (lit up green) and when i join the server script automatically specs me. If ql is going to allow these scripts then that's perfectly fine by me...but they have to come up with something that tells other players minimum elo required before you can play on that server. OR - they could just include an min elo setting in the server settings.. idk .. just annoying thats all..

Senior Member M0SLEY will become famous soon enough M0SLEY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_cola View Post
    all valid points and i get them... however what is the point of the quake ranking system quake live tells me that it is a good server for me to play on (lit up green) and when i join the server script automatically specs me. If ql is going to allow these scripts then that's perfectly fine by me...but they have to come up with something that tells other players minimum elo required before you can play on that server. OR - they could just include an min elo setting in the server settings.. idk .. just annoying thats all..
    They do generally have names like "CA 2000+ ELO ONLY" from my experience.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    QuakeLive won't include elo related settings, as qlranks is an entirely third party project.

Qlranks scripts can't give any more info to a user before connecting as it's just a script run within a client account, there is no way to do this, the best you can hope for is the server owner to put something descriptive in the server title when they starts it up.

The disparity occurs because they're different systems entirely, and significantly QL tiers are very loose, there are only 4 of them whereas QLranks elo (which uses trueskill for ffa and tdm) is very fine grained indeed.

Senior Member mi will become famous soon enough
    they could just include an min elo setting in the server settings.. idk .. just annoying thats all..
    Quote from http://minomino.org/quake/
    It offers a variety of functions that are not usually found on servers, even though some of the stuff is so damn trivial, you'd think id would've had it implemented ages ago.
    Minobot does a great job, but it has limited possibilities compared to similar functionality implemented directly in QL.

For example the elo limits:
    Players either are forced to spectate and getting a quit if they try to join, or auto-banned and stuck on 'awaiting snapshot'.
    If that was coded directly in game, players would see limits in server browser or even the not appropriate servers would be filtered out.

Senior Member Kacle is on a distinguished road
    If ql is going to allow these scripts then that's perfectly fine by me...but they have to come up with something that tells other players minimum elo required before you can play on that server. OR - they could just include an min elo setting in the server settings.. idk .. just annoying thats all..
    The problem is that quakelive doesn't support that.

Example:

If I want to create a server with these rules:

1) Tier 4 only
    2) Maximum 10 percent no of games quit
    3) Minimum 200 games played

Then there is no way for me to specify it through the quakelive 'create server' interface. Also, when you give your server a description, you are limited to a very small amount of text. So you also can't describe the server settings in the server label. Also, regardless of the server requirements the server will 'show up green/ok' if your tier match the server tier.

A minimum fix for this, could be to add a server description (not to be confused with the label we already have), where you are allowed to enter at least 1k characters. The server description should then be a hot-tip or and info button could be added to each server in the advanced server browser.

Optimally quakelive could implement stuff like this in the create server AND server browser, so that it is possible to set the requirements through the interface AND enforce the requirements through the server browser.

But as it is now, server owners are forced to either manually enforce the rules or create/get a server managing bot to do it for them.

Senior Member Emexrulsier is an unknown quantity at this point Emexrulsier's Avatar
    Never been confident to use these bots or things like extraQL. Because they are essentially injected code into the main quake processes these could trigger things like bans. I know QL doesn't use any form of punk buster or vac etc but still you never 100% know what is really happening behind the scenes.
    There are three kings of people in this world, those that can count and northerners

Senior Member swampy has a spectacular aura about swampy has a spectacular aura about swampy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emexrulsier View Post
    Never been confident to use these bots or things like extraQL. Because they are essentially injected code into the main quake processes these could trigger things like bans. I know QL doesn't use any form of punk buster or vac etc but still you never 100% know what is really happening behind the scenes.
    There are no scripts in extraQL that can get you banned. If anything.. The old dodgy scripts that were in QLPRISM have been removed..i.e..stay alive script, etc.
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

+ Reply to Thread