+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the nade debate

Junior Member The_Grocer is on a distinguished road

the nade debate

Dear quakers, having recently changed my weapon of choice from the gauntlet to the grenade launcher, I have encountered some hostility from players who seem to take offence if people use this weapon, with some even accusing me of "ruining the game".
    As a veteran player, I like to keep things fresh, and I am enjoying the new challenge of playing solely with a non-directional weapon. The nade launcher requires different moving and placement tactics, and whilst it works on smaller maps with confined spaces, its effectiveness is virtually zero in wide open spaces. I do not win any matches, usually coming far down the order, but I have a lot of fun which is the main thing as far as I can see.
    So come on folks - instead of in-game abuse, le's have the debate in a civilised manner.
    All contributions welcome.

Senior Member skeletonface is on a distinguished road
    You only get in-game abuse when the way you play makes it harder for other people to play the way they want to. And that's the whole point of the game. That's why we're divided into teams and trying to kill each other. They get abusive because you kill them with grenades and they can't figure out a counter-strategy. Lots of nade spam IS annoying. But that just means it's doing its job.
    If these people are annoyed that they keep getting killed by charging into tight areas being peppered with explosive devices, then the counter strategies should be fairly obvious. #1 Go around. #2 wait until you stop. #3 try to rocket jump past the worst of the spam #4 forget about you and go kill someone else.

Junior Member gekkie is on a distinguished road
    Back in Q3 a player named if22 was pretty effective with nades in duel. It was very annoying to watch though :-)

Senior Member pwnr is on a distinguished road pwnr's Avatar
    Well it does touch upon the issue of loadouts now allowing people to bring weapons onto maps that were never intended, for instance people are doing literally nothing but spam grenades at the teleporter exit on asylum and actually enjoying reasonable success from it. There are similar issues on other maps, you could argue that this degrades the play experience for the majority and is in a sense "ruining" the game. Personally I just find the absurdity of it funny, its just pub ffa in the end and I've done similar things, but of course some people take the game more seriously than others. There was back in the day a duel player that played only ztn and +backed literally nonstop just spamming rockets or grenades, I think his aim was just to frustrate the other player into making a mistake, he'd ragequit the second he conceded a frag but did actually win some games. I think he managed something like 1500 elo from it, the hate he got was pretty damn special, iirc he had forum threads dedicated to him.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    It doesn`t bother me when one or two people are doing it,i can (mostly) avoid them but when it gets to three, four or more people just spamming nades the game gets unplayable in any way that's enjoyable,to me,anyway.

Having starting ammo 10 for nades In loadouts is a big cause of this problem,it should be reduced to 5 and the grenade launcher should not be selectable on small maps like fatal instinct and hellsgate etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Senior Member swampy has a spectacular aura about swampy has a spectacular aura about swampy's Avatar
    It depends on which game mode for me.. I like nades in Domination because you can spam the control area with them .
    Drunk Clan Motto--- "Have Fun, Everyone is Welcome"
    drunk clan

Stay drunk, Play drunk and chill

Member me is on a distinguished road
    Not so long ago I wanted to check if spamming grenades on Fatal Instinct was the easiest way to win on that map but after a few minutes muckyman kicked me so I guess I'll never know the answer.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Not so long ago I wanted to check if spamming grenades on Fatal Instinct was the easiest way to win on that map but after a few minutes muckyman kicked me so I guess I'll never know the answer.

I don`t remember the occaision but I do quite often kick ppl for spamming nades on that map (when I`m playing),nothing personal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Doing nothing but spamming nades isn't going to win you anything, but it does spoil things for other people. It was the main complaint about proxy mines too and look what happened to them :/
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Member me is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, I was kidding I don't mind np.

+ Reply to Thread