+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: European FFA scene is dying !

Member Wotanserbe1974 is on a distinguished road

European FFA scene is dying !

We observe every day that the European FFA community is dying more and more.
    The player base is shrinking since the gamemode updates (load-outs etc)
    The main reason for those new gamemode updates were to simplify the gamemode for new people but this do not work at all. We lost a huge amount of people lately. Alot of veterans left the game since the updates. I would advice to let the weapon loud-outs for Tier 1,2,3 so that beginners have a better opportunity to get used by the weapons and everything and to keep Tier 4 without the Weapon loud-outs !!!

Member GnGBnG is on a distinguished road GnGBnG's Avatar
    i would say the opposite. Loadouts in FFA give the steam players a chance vs experienced players. look m8, you can't have it both ways - when QL launched, pre-steam, newbies joined and hated it. people even posted "this game is terrible" videos on youtube because they spawn with MG, try to frag people with it and get mauled. and they hate it and they don't understand it.

loadouts make the game much easier for everyone, sure. They also give good players a little extra because a good player who spawns with SG and RG can be just as badass as in the days of no loadouts.
    (look on here forums for visje's post, check out his DM2 videos in sig, notice the awesome sound-radar gameplay.)
    this game is not just about guns.

starting guns change teh game but not drastically. you just need to adapt to the new system.

i wold agree that some smaller maps do not fit the new system. you can't play electric head anymore, but imho it's a fair trade and you get to actually expand the playerbase.
    new players DO NOT like to get destroyed 5-50, whatever you think. the path to get a modern gamer to go from "hurr-durr i haz rokits" to "well, i sure learned something today, even though i got owned" is long and difficult.

now, if only id would stop the new accounts frm joining T4 games, MAYBE the whole process would work. And EU FFA is alive and well.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 12-09-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    8% accuracy is the new 30% accuracy

Read again what I said : let the weapon loud-outs for Tier 1,2,3 so that beginners have a better opportunity to get used by the weapons and everything and to keep Tier 4 without the Weapon loud-outs !!!

And by the way, beginners start in Tier 3 on FFA !

dude, do you even play this game.

first, there are many more T4 servers than T3 servers in quake. the red arrow vs green arrow does nothing and many T3 play in T4, either by mistake, or by using the quick join button, or because they think they are pro, or because T3s are empty, or because they don't even know that T3 exists.

also, becoming T4 in FFA is so easy it's a joke. back in beta you would get the occasional game with people constantly jumping into fog or running only gaunt because they were desperate to get away from T4 and back in T3, and yet QL will bump you up to T4 in FFA as soon as you land a rail shot or two.

clasic ruleset servers can still be spawned if you want, it shouldn't be too much trouble for you to find a clan that does FFA or just take 1 minte to look through the servers, or even - OMG - buy pro. You'll still have a hard time to populate a classic server fully because many people find loadouts way more fun. everyone knows casual is much better than competitive in the age of steam. why do you think TF2 has had such success, and CoD, and MOH, Divinity, Loadout..

i joined a TDM classic server a couple days ao (MG at 4, 50 bullets spawn, no loadouts, no pickups on map because all already taken and guarder), and even though we were in control it was f* boring.

Ofcourse they should raise up the skill level to 300 or even more to reach tier 4. In fact the skill level sytem on FFA is very uneven, I have to admit that but after the enhancement of the skill level there would be more lower tier server with people on, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Wotanserbe1974; 12-07-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GnGBnG View Post
    loadouts make the game much easier for everyone, sure.
    No it doesn't, everyone gets someone spawning behind them with RL or LG, or fast SG switch, all the time.

They also give good players a little extra because a good player who spawns with SG and RG can be just as badass as in the days of no loadouts.
    A good player gets destroyed on spawn before being able to take a shot just as often as a terrible player, thats about the only reason it's 'balanced'.

starting guns change teh game but not drastically. you just need to adapt to the new system.
    It changes the game absolutely catastrophically.
    Movement skills are pointless,
    Pickups are pointless (lol spawn backrocket)
    Powerups are 96% of the time pointless (lol spawn backrocket)
    Any attempt to play with stealth is pointless (lol spawn backrocket)
    Differences in map designs are pointless
    Careful work the map creators have done to design areas around specific weapon/item placement is pointless.
    Every map all the time is the exact same cesspit, the only difference is the small maps are even worse with their carpet of grenades.

new players DO NOT like to get destroyed 5-50, whatever you think. the path to get a modern gamer to go from "hurr-durr i haz rokits" to "well, i sure learned something today, even though i got owned" is long and difficult.
    New players simply shouldn't be facing someone that can destroy them 50-5.

Loadouts actually kill off braincells.
    You won't realise it at the time as you play with them, but when you go back to play classic it's obvious you're oozing stupid until you're lucky enough for them to reactivate.

Even the rarely used steam forums have tons of posts from brand new users complaining loadouts suck.

I don't care about TDM being loadout by default as public tdm was 100% DEAD, now it's played every day.

FFA was one of if not THE most played QL mod before loadouts, I honestly can't remember if CA had more players/games per day or not atm, but they were always the top two.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 12-07-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Senior Member StillBlaze is on a distinguished road
    I don't usually post useless comments in threads but i will here, as a brand new player i got like 2000 elo in my first week of Quake playing some FFAs, it looks might impressive but like GnGBnG said its not actually hard at all.

Yakumo, i think you are exagerating everything to make your point. I would rather have the loadout system changed to have a choice of SG,PG or GL as said before, but spawning with 5 rockets isn't so f* uber.

People spawning in your face, thats somewhat more annoying.

People spawning in your face with rail or rockets AND a 1 second immunity is even more annoying.

But the old lions still dominate and now the scoreboards look more even than they did before, and new blood is actually enjoying quake.

No solution is perfect, but this is a reasonable effort to bring quake to the casual community.
    (at least now Longest Yard is not a constant spam of MG epwpewpewpepewp)

Junior Member sya_ is on a distinguished road sya_'s Avatar
    Here's another idea, how about make classic ranked and list it in the top of the browser along with LOLFFA. Currently it goes to the bottom where no one see's it, with a wrench(suggesting its some weird noob settings ) and basically making it worthless. I just face palm x 9000 when people suggest "well, if you don't like loadouts, you could just spawn your own server with classic" yes…………. it doesn't work, hardly gets populated, why? FOR THE ABOVE REASONS, and NO it's not because people are having a blast spawning on nade carpets + getting rekt by 2 frame per second slide show nade warpers + rocket warpers + no point in picking up items + being unable to do anything intelligent, LMAO. I'm not against people being afforded the luxury of playing with these settings, but at east give me and the old players a chance(that isn't biased) to play normal FFA (i.e. classic)

Why can't we have both, is it really so hard and confusing for people to pick and choose what they want to play. I'm pretty sure you could train a monkey to do it in < than a day. Reading some of these posts made my jaw drop I would've reiterated everything yakumpo said as well, despite him being a pikey.
    Last edited by sya_; 12-07-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    Muckyman makes nice cheese.

Junior Member Doubleeee is on a distinguished road
    Imo, all the modes that have been changed in anyway, should be called with the prefix "casual". Casual FFA, Casual TDM, Casual CTF etc and the old good old ones must be returned! So we have both modes in game. Because now people that used to play pickups have to change all the settings manually to get old ctf/tdm/ffa back and its unranked too, which is a bit sad...

+ Reply to Thread