Thread: Goldleaf [Release Candidate]

Junior Member pathy is on a distinguished road

Goldleaf [Final]

by Pat H

Gametype: FFA, Tournament, Team Deathmatch
    Genre: Tech/Byzantine
    Capacity: 2-8 players
    Bot Support: Yes

After six weeks in development for the Mapcore Quake III 15th Anniversary Competition, I am thrilled to ship this out to the community.

GOLDLEAF.PK3 ~10 mb
    Note: Quake III version only at the moment.

Background:

Goldleaf was designed for the 2014 Mapcore Quake III 15th Anniversary Contest. The challenge was to create a map that plays in FFA mode with 4-8 players. I decided to create a fairly open, two-atrium indoor/outdoor design with a lot of vertical action and S-shaped paths. The gapped bridge in the outdoor area holds a red armor and requires a high and vulnerable jump over the center of the room, which is an idea I have always wanted to incorporate into a design. This map was made in just six weeks, including two weeks of gameplay prototyping, and it is my largest map to date.

The visual goal was to create a tech theme, but without all the usual tech assets, e.g. crates, pipes, and vents. Instead, I wanted to create somewhat more classical roman/byzantine-inspired architecture and then find a way to texture it tech. That said, it's not all vaults, domes, and arches. I didn't hold myself back from including some futuristic geometry as well. The architecture of the outdoor area was heavily inspired by St. Bart's Church in midtown Manhattan, whereas the indoor areas were more of my own spin on the tech/classical fusion.

The surrounding environment is a moonlit lagoon with mud-rock terrain and turning trees that loom over the walls and shed their leaves on the ground. I am still working on creating more authentic night-time lighting in some of the nature areas. If you sit under the big dome and listen very closely, you may just hear the hooting of the lonely old owl who dwells in the rafters

Right now I am looking for feedback on the following...

1.) any bugs you find
    2.) your general thoughts on how the map turned out and what could be improved

--

As always, thanks for downloading.

-pat
    lvlpathoward[at]gmail[dot]com
    http://lvlworld.com/author.php?q=Pat%20Howard
    Last edited by pathy; 01-09-2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Updated to final version

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    Very clear texturing. That's great. But greyness everywhere kinda hurts.

yep, it could use a bit more blue.

Senior Member sir_frags is on a distinguished road sir_frags's Avatar
    I played it with 4 bots on quake live. It got intense with just 4 players. I have no problems with the the colors. I like the way it looks and plays. The 2 yellow armors are too close together. The map is too small for both quad and megahealth. I'd lose the quad on a map this size. I'd lose the Goldleaf motif. It doesnt work overall on this map. What about Silverleaf? One of the new maps out this month had snowflakes falling (snowflakes in Quake?) Anyway, you could get some small silver leaves falling on a small section of the map.

*Frags*

Do you have a suggestion for an alternative armor layout? I'd be interested to hear it. Also be sure to check the items in tourney mode cause they are different.

Here's one I just thought of: MH where low RL is now, YA where quad is, and keep other YA and RA where they are. I love where the high YA is now though, I think it generates great battles.
    Last edited by pathy; 12-09-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Senior Member sir_frags is on a distinguished road sir_frags's Avatar
    How about just lose the other yellow armor. There really are alot of items on this small map.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_frags View Post
    How about just lose the other yellow armor. There really are alot of items on this small map.
    the trend in modern competitive q3 mapping has been to include a minimum of four armors in both big and small maps. (see blood run, lost world, evolution, furious heights, and any of cityy's maps for examples.) the reason for this is to make gameplay more complex and to give down players more chances to recover. four armors is just enough to give two players of comparable skill level some armor to work with all the time.

feel free to point out any examples of competitive maps that have less than four, i am not as familiar with the QL map pool because i don't have a premium account. the only one i can think of off the top of my head is pro-q3dm6, which often leads to heavily dominated games where the down player is just forced to prematurely gg. once the up player starts running the RA and MH consistently, it takes a huge blunder for him to lose control. q3dm6 has stuck around as a classic not because of its item placement but because of it's exceptional flow and fun fighting areas.

right now i think the map will play well in tourney with the up player grabbing the RA and low YA and the down player holding down the MH and YA above it in the corner of the map and deciding which direction to launch an attack from. i have considered that it might be best to change the YA near the MH to a Green Armor in QL. i really wish q3 had a GA

so that's why i always try to work in two YAs in addition to an MH and RA. thanks for your feedback. without feedback i get stuck looking at my map only in one way, but really there are so many possibilities!

Junior Member com_ is on a distinguished road
    I realy like the textures and the overall atmospher of your map. Amasing job.

Member me is on a distinguished road
    In case someone would like to try this map but don't own Q3, it works perfectly fine in QL actually (there's even auto-completion for custom maps too now).

Regarding armors, there's nothing wrong with 4 of them but it's pretty rare. I reckon you had 4 items in mind.

Currently, there is only one RA and one YA on Goldleaf in tournament mode (Duel). The upper YA vanished. I'm not sure this is what you intended to do so it might be a bug or something.

I've noticed that this spinning circle is missing for RG and LG:
    http://i.imgur.com/1NxW9w6.jpg

And a small bug with this particular jump pad:
    http://i.imgur.com/jd3ogp4.jpg

It looks like a very decent map, gl for the competition.

(There is a GA in Q3 btw, see hub3aeroq3 for example)

@com_ thanks!

@me thanks again for giving your feedback on my work. i'll look into the bug with the jump pad. i've added the weapon marker to the RG, but the reason i didn't have it for the LG is because that weapon moves around in the different game modes and i thought it would look weird to have empty markers. i thought there was some way of having gametype specific decals in quake, but i can't remember how to do it!

about the "4 armors", i'm considering the MH to be an armor. sorry if that was confusing. RA/MH/YAx2 is actually a very common armor loadout, as i'm sure you know.

in tourney mode, the second YA moves down to where the QUAD was. if it's not there for you then that is definitely bugged. maybe this has something to do with the map conversion you did, i'm not sure.

i know the item layout is a bit confusing. it actually kind of stumped me for a while and it was the main reason i wrote this article so i could get better at item placement. i'm going to give it one more analysis before i release the map. probably the RA and MH will stay where they are though.

+ Reply to Thread