View Poll Results: It's YOUR chance to vote now!

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revert the Update!

12 46.15%
  • Include Classic/Turbo servers by default!

9 34.62%
  • I like the Update.

5 19.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Community Vote: Revert the August Update?

Banned MichaelJackson is on a distinguished road

Community Vote: Revert the August Update?

Now, any FPS gamer with decent logic/reasoning will agree that Loadouts, HMG, and Spawn Timers are completely unacceptable for Quake Live's core gameplay. Autobunnyhop and unified ammo pickups appear to be more subjective matters and really depend on the person's point of view. Some of you already know what I think, but this post isn't just about me. I wish to show id Software that although the majority of casual XBOX gamers are fine with crap like loadouts and stuff (due to their low intellect regarding gaming), us competitive gamers are not. I believe the majority of QL's fanbase is smart enough to agree with me regarding this, and I hope this poll will be enough to prove to id Software that these changes are NOT what the community wants.

Message to id: you wish to know the true reasoning as to why Quake Live used to suffer in terms of player base? It failed in terms of advertising. Much of the modern gaming generation doesn't even really know what Quake is. I'm 17 years old and believe me, around two years ago I didn't even know this series existed despite the fact that it's been around since 1996. But ever since I found this game, I've been in love with it (at least when the loadouts/timers/HMG aren't involved). The series has fallen into obscurity to the point where today's generation of gamers are mostly unaware. It's not because Quake Live was originally bad, it's because you failed to advertise and market the game to a wider audience. Now with the Steam release, your advertising campaign has gotten better, though now you've ruined the game with nooby stuff. There's no need to noobify the game, especially with the eSports craze rising back up into mainstream gaming.

It's funny because there are many ways you can make the game accessible to beginners without having to sacrifice competitive depth. Include more advanced, CPMA-level bots with a wider variety of skill lefts. Improve the skill-matching system because face it, it's very limited compared to how Halo 2 did their ranking (I know it's a different game franchise, but it's a ranking system that works and should be applied to Quake). Include more tutorials and tips. What about a coaching system like TF2? You can even try to implement bots into the lower-tier servers. I wouldn't really mind that either, and it would serve as a way for newbies to rack up kills without having to really ruin the competitive experience of Quake.

If you insist on adding crap like loadouts, spawn timers, and the HMG, implement these features to another side of the game. One of the major problems is that you REPLACED the old ruleset with this new one. Why can't we have default servers with the classic and turbo rulesets? Now, whenever we want decent gameplay we have to pay a monthly fee, start our own server, and wait an hour for people to join. That's STUPID. Why can't we just have half the servers be classic/turbo, and the other half be the new, casual ruleset? Easy solution right there. No, rather you want to sit down and force this crap on us. I don't get it. Why mistreat your loyal fanbase like this?

Id Software, please reconsider what you're doing, and try to find an alternative. Everyone who is with me, please vote. Show them that I'm not alone, because I know I'm not. You guys can read my personal analysis on the new ruleset at my blog, the Daily Frags, which specializes in competitive FPS.

http://thedailyfrags.blogspot.com/20...destroyed.html
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 12-03-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Member GnGBnG is on a distinguished road GnGBnG's Avatar
    most of these things make the game easier, but not worse.
    8% accuracy is the new 30% accuracy

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    It wouldn't matter if your poll had 500 million votes, or there were 500 million forum posts on a topic on 5 million forums.

Quote Originally Posted by GnGBnG View Post
    most of these things make the game easier, but not worse.
    It reduces competitive depth and makes the game more mindless, so yes, it's worse. A lower skill gap also doesn't reward the hardcore players as much, which is stupid. The people who train day and night should be rewarded as much as possible for their effort. The people who are lazy and don't apply much effort to practice SHOULD NOT be given an easy way out. Quake's supposed to be this hardcore monster of a game, now it's gradually turning into a baby game like COD.

And still, they don't have to replace the main ruleset entirely. They can have half the servers be Turbo/Classic, and half with the new ruleset. Why not do that and please both crowds? This way the smart, talented gamers can have some decent gameplay, while the fat lazy casuals can play their ridiculous, nooby crap. If they HAVE to introduce loadouts and crap (which they don't, as there are better alternatives), there's a way they can do it without needing to mess up most of the game. Sure, CA, CTF, and Duel have more competitive settings, but what if I want to play competitive FFA, TDM, FT, or DOM? As that really such a huge thing to ask for?

You can vote regardless though. I take it you prefer Option B.
    Last edited by MichaelJackson; 12-03-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    It wouldn't matter if your poll had 500 million votes, or there were 500 million forum posts on a topic on 5 million forums.
    Umm if we had that many votes, I'm sure id Software would listen to us, lol. Joking aside, we have to push for the better of the franchise. The less we push, the less of a chance we have for them to listen. Of course there's always going to be the chance that they won't listen to us regardless, but we want to minimize that as much as possible, and the only way we can do that is to unite the community and stay strong. It's going to take time and effort, but being a passionate Quake fan, I'm willing to do whatever it takes for the better of the franchise.

Member GnGBnG is on a distinguished road GnGBnG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJackson View Post
    It reduces competitive depth ..... A lower skill gap also doesn't reward the hardcore players as much
    this is obviously true. but from what i see i get the impression that QL wants to cater to the steam casuals, not the hardcore pro. or did i just imagine that ?
    8% accuracy is the new 30% accuracy

Senior Member Patrol1985 is on a distinguished road Patrol1985's Avatar
    For the 13445345th time......

Polls on this forum do NOT reflect what the community thinks. Only a FRACTION of players actually post here. The majority remains silent and I assume the majority prefers loadouts. Id Software want this game to be popular, and popular doesn't mean "as competitive as possible". Don't believe me? Go play other arena FPS games which remained competitive. I reckon all their player bases put together constitute about a half of QL's player base.

The only things that matter are the numbers, as in: numbers of players playing the game and (more importantly) number of players who buy pro subscription. If a change doesn't cater to one of those two goals (with the second one being the priority), id Software have no reason to introduce the said change.

I don't blame them - I wouldn't do it either. Quake Live is not a charity initiative, it's business. Don't like it? Plenty of arena games for you to choose, many of which are more skill-focused.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJackson View Post
    Umm if we had that many votes, I'm sure id Software would listen to us, lol. Joking aside, we have to push for the better of the franchise. The less we push, the less of a chance we have for them to listen. Of course there's always going to be the chance that they won't listen to us regardless, but we want to minimize that as much as possible, and the only way we can do that is to unite the community and stay strong. It's going to take time and effort, but being a passionate Quake fan, I'm willing to do whatever it takes for the better of the franchise.
    I used to think like this.

Senior Member sir_frags is on a distinguished road sir_frags's Avatar
    You're wasting your time with this..and I'm surprised the thread hasn't been deleted yet. Anyway, I really don't think the devs have time to read all these complaints and posts.

*Frags*
    Last edited by sir_frags; 12-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    I used to think like this.
    So you're not even going to vote if given the chance?

+ Reply to Thread