+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The joy of starting the game...

Junior Member andyKCIUK is on a distinguished road

The joy of starting the game...

Let me guide you through my daily routine of starting QL:

1) Double click on the shortcut icon on my desktop: the app starts to load, only to crash before it even starts.

2) Oh well, I want to play Quake!!! I'm starting the game again... this time it loads properly. Sadly the screen gets really dark. Nothing to worry about, I promptly go into the game settings and play around with the gamma slider... sorted.

3) I go into the match browser. Double click on one of the listed servers and I'm ready to play... Wrong! Not so fast. Waiting for authentication... I don't give up and open the console. I type in web_reload... the app starts over. One would think I'm ready to play. Nope. Another double click on the server I want to play on. Waiting for authentication... web_reload... rinse and repeat.

4) Finally I am ready to play. I frag 'em hard. I pwn 'em. Life is good... After a while I press ALT+F4 to close the game.

5) I go back to the desktop. Everything is bright. Quake has messed up my desktop gamma settings. I open Ati Catalyst, find the slider for gamma and everything goes back to normal.

Now, I know it's a free game, but REALLY?!?
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 11-13-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Junior Member RazorJack is on a distinguished road
    It's a complete joke isn't it. The lack of response from the developers is most embarrassing.

Senior Member YourDead is on a distinguished road
    Try this:

Start the game, then pull down the console right away.

/web_reload

It made my friends list come back.

Senior Member drunkenFooL is on a distinguished road
    @ OP, are all your graphic drivers up-to-date? And being up-to-date, it means from the actual manufacturer website, NOT from MS windows.

Junior Member andyKCIUK is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenFooL View Post
    @ OP, are all your graphic drivers up-to-date? And being up-to-date, it means from the actual manufacturer website, NOT from MS windows.
    Yes, I have the latest drivers for my 6870. This gamma thing really pisses me off. Such a bother. In fairness, the game doesn't mess up my desktop gamma settings every time, it only happens once-twice a week. However, I have to play with the in-game gamma settings every time I start Quake.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    if you use r_ignorehwgamma "0" you won't shouldn't have that problem any more, at least that is how it works on nvidia cards.

But you would have to adjust

seta r_contrast "1.0"
    seta r_gamma "1.0"

to make it look about the same as if you had ignorehwegamma 1, and if you can't get it to look how you want with just those, then also maybe -

seta r_intensity "1.3"
    seta r_overBrightBits "0"
    seta r_mapOverBrightBits "2"
    seta r_mapOverBrightCap "245"
    seta r_enablePostProcess "0"
    seta r_enableColorCorrect "0"

+ Reply to Thread