+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Someone asked on reddit how to get good with plasma. My response.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar

Someone asked on reddit how to get good with plasma. My response.

I figure that whenever I make a long response to a question about how to improve an aspect of your game on another board, might as well re-post it here. And yes, the tl;dr is, infact, practice practice practice.

"Honestly, take this from someone who knows. There's only one way to get good with plasma (and yes, it is possible): using it. Using it a lot. All the theory in the world won't help your plasma aim if you don't actually spend lots of time working on applying that theory. For the record, you should use it as if it were a cross between the RL and LG.

I used to play CA with a guy called Crucci, before he switched to FFA (not sure if he still plays). He would sometimes play entire matches with only the plasma, which pissed his teammates off, of course. Mind you, this guy is easily as good as, if not better than me. Thing is, his PG alarmingly quickly got better and better, and he ended up turning into a plasma demon. Here's an example of the type of stunt he would end up pulling off with alarming regularity: http://youtu.be/Df0NVOCNiKE?t=6m29s

This applies to most weapons you want to get good at: use them. A lot. Even in situations where you really shouldn't. That's how I finally fixed my crappy rocket aim. By unbinding the LG.

By the way, since you're new I really wouldn't bother trying to learn Plasma. Start by learning the Railgun or Rocket Launcher. I'd suggest learning the Railgun since it's quite easy to practice. Do 5-15 minutes of this a day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ1plnx0Hco and then play vs regular players on your gamemode of choice (that isn't instagib). I started a CA practice server for that video, but I got the tip from a great player that starting an FFA practice server is probably the better choice, since you can add more bots without it turning into chaos and the situations will be a bit more realistic, where you'll be shooting enemies shooting at other people. Also, you'll learn where items spawn.

And not only is it easy to practice rail, it carries over to all other weapons, including the Rocket Launcher, since it teaches you the very basic skill of "moving your crosshair onto your target", which is a skill required for aiming with any weapon, even if you're using projectile weapons like Rocket Launcher, since you still need to be able to put your crosshair where you want your rocket to fly quickly and accurately, even if it's not always on your opponent. Also, for the Rocket Launcher, the chief mistake I see beginners make is over-predicting or over-leading your target. It's more productive to aim right for their feet than flick your mouse far to the side to try to predict where they're moving. The latter will generally make your rocket miss by a large margin whereas the former will at least give you splash and quite often a direct hit, since people like to dodge side to side and often end up moving right back into the rocket. For RL mastery, the thing you need to master is patience. Going against your instinct and not firing right as the reload time is up, but instead waiting to see where your opponent goes is the best way to consistently hit direct rockets. It's difficult to restrain yourself from pressing mouse1 every 800ms, but oh so worth it.

Also, it might help using proper mousing technique, especially if you don't have a gaming grade mouse and pad and/or are using high mouse sensitivity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Ioc5RNCjI "

By the way, crucci was also amazing with the Shotgun, and guess what? He would play entire matches using only the Shotgun as well.

Senior Member M0SLEY is on a distinguished road M0SLEY's Avatar
    Plasma is such an underrated weapon.

I'm not particularly good with it, it can either go really well or really badly for me, but I've had a few out of control plasma frags that have literally changed the outcome of duels for me.

Junior Member Catagore is on a distinguished road
    just as always.... Thanks a lot cat! your weapon tips help us noobs a lot; maybe this PG less than your LG tutorial, but still

Member vikingnoise is on a distinguished road
    It's funny how the best advice for so many things is: PRACTICE. And not just for things in QL.

PG is one of my closet favorites. It's incredibly powerful when you can get it to work for you, but it's so easy to mishandle that most people tend to avoid it (myself included). I've tried to start using it more like a high-speed RL instead of something more like the MG or LG. I can usually get better results when I'm firing off one or two cells at a time (RL-style) instead of just holding down mouse1 until they die (MG-style).

And PG with quad
    ...provided you can hit somebody with it.

Senior Member GanglandOneUp will become famous soon enough GanglandOneUp's Avatar
    +++++

Best plasma advice I can give ,,, lead your target!

If opponent is running left, aim where he is about to go and keep the plasma stream moving with him. The biggest issue I see is people that are mid-long range and locking there xhair on target and missing every plasma ball. You need to use it like an anti-aircraft gun and lead the target. Once you have "led" the opponent with the stream and you start hearing/seeing hits, then you can adjust to his movement.

Also great for laning and locking out doors/hallways.

Another good thing with plasma. If someone is at long range, and has rail, fire a bunch of plasma at him to obscure his vision, then switch to rail while the last plasma balls are just reaching him .... Old CA trick $$$$$$

DNA
    Drunk Clan
    #IRC
    North America, Join the party, here!
    Europe, Join the party, here!

Enough is enough; and sometimes enough is too much!

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    I don't like the PG. I think it should be Banned from this Game...

Senior Member pietsen is on a distinguished road
    Best advice for good plasma is to get low ping

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pietsen View Post
    Best advice for good plasma is to get low ping
    That goes for rockets as well.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Plasma is very situational. Use it in tight corridors or when you've got your opponent in a corner. In open spaces RL or LG will be better, but in the right place, PG can be devastating. So it can be very effective on DM13 (Lost World), much less so on DM6 for example. Before loadouts came along, 'Classic' FT spawned you with PG and SG so a lot of us got a lot of (unwanted) practice with it and I certainly improved hugely with it.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member SLEEHUNTER is on a distinguished road
    The plasma is twice as fast as rockets, and I always watch my opponents feet.

+ Reply to Thread