+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help on dodging effectively

Senior Member EmeraldTiger is on a distinguished road EmeraldTiger's Avatar

Need help on dodging effectively

I have a hard time trying to dodge weapons. When I am assaulted by rockets I almost always die, and usually after only two or three hits, even when I am stocked relatively well. (200/200) And when someone whips out the LG, no amount of strafing prevents me from becoming fried chicken.

Occassionally I`ll have my lucky moments where I dodge about six rockets like nothing at all, but most of the time, when I`m attacked, I`m dead in seconds.

I would be interested in learning techniques on how to dodge weapons with better efficiency with minimal changes to sensitivity or other configuaration-related changes, especially the LG and RL, which are particularly annoying.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Takes practice. With LG, constantly strafing in the opposite direction they do is the best thing you can do, though you won't be hitting them with your own LG either. Plus, it's not as easy as it sounds. It kinda-sorta works with the rail as well unless they're good at flickrailing, though simple mind games might do better there.

With the rocket launcher you need to guess where he's gonna fire. This isn't too hard, since you can basically control it by faking moving in one way and then move the other way. Also, one thing people forget when dodging rockets is that you can dodge forward and back, not just side to side (note: dodging forward and back can be a pretty bad idea when faced with an LG). Diagonal dodges are king when dodging rockets fired from above. Also, since people like to aim for your feet, jumping towards them is surprisingly effective.
    Last edited by Cat; 09-23-2010 at 07:44 PM.

*axemanoli
    Try to avoid jumping when against the LG and RL. I know it's really tempting sometimes to try and strafe/bunny hop your way out of there, but usually all it does is makes you a really easy target. Try to put distance between you and the RL as quickly as possible, back up and diagonal strafe (mix it up) to throw them off. The further away you are, the easier it is to dodge.

Most players will just keep coming though, so you either need to get really good at circle jumping to strafe jump to make a speedy exit, or you need to get good at fighting back. Really, offense is the best defense. You can only dodge so much against certain players because they aim too well. Half of dodging, therefore, is inflicting as much dmg on the enemy as possible so that you can buy yourself escape time.

I find that it's easiest to concentrate on fighting back and out aiming the opponent. If you're concentrating on trying to dodge, you're going to do a lot less dmg and stand less chance of making a break for it. With LG I find it works to get in closer and use rockets whilst strafing like crazy. If they're hammering me I try to put at least one rocket at their feet, to launch them into the air, to give me time to circle jump to safety.

Really it's all experience. The more you play the easier it gets. You start to get a feel of which directions to move in and when to fight and when to run.

*Sm0k3z
    the key to dodging is to be spontaneous, i know ur thinking what? but when u play ppl alot u will notice if they have a pattern in the way they move... alot of players do and dont even realize it..

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Master dodging is a very deliberate act. Watch pros to see. Of course, randomness can get you quite far vs an LG/Rail, though I wouldn't recommend it vs an RL due to the bounce effect.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Hey, I actually tried to deliberately strafe in the direction opposite to my opponent's choice. It does in fact effectively cut his accuracy by half, but I can't see the profit in this, as my acc suffers just as much. Maybe if you want him to run out of ammo...
    I'm talking about LG vs LG battle of course.

*Roschach
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Hey, I actually tried to deliberately strafe in the direction opposite to my opponent's choice. It does in fact effectively cut his accuracy by half, but I can't see the profit in this, as my acc suffers just as much. Maybe if you want him to run out of ammo...
    That goes to show that dodging is all about dealing damage whilst taking as little as possible. The more erratic your dodging gets, the harder it is to hit them. Pros like cooller have found such a perfect balance that they can dodge effectively whilst doing quite a bit of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Well, the LG masters can hit 40% even when dodging like that. I barely cross the 35% mark when I do it, though.

Banned DCR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Also, since people like to aim for your feet, jumping towards them is surprisingly effective.
    It can be effective in QL since models are heavier, getting enemy quite high in air with a rocket like you could in q3, is either not possible or extremely difficult. I don't think i've ever seen anyone getting enemy as high in air with a rocket onto enemy feet at a jump as u could in q3 - vs ql. So in ql u effectively just remain position if u get jumped over incoming rocket and towards enemy, even tho hitting so close its causing u high dmg, u dont get beamed as high in the air. If its an RL on RL its of course far more effective then rl on lg, as lg loses its aim point right away once bounced, and depending on ping its hard to re-aim, and shooting bursts of lg, causes u too shoot a lot less then u should have done wo rl's bounce. RL on PG in this case PG is very nice.

offtopic
    About a week back i managed to do an alias LG attack that would shoot bursts of LG cells thus eliminating to a point the ping problem, but i could not get it to work if one clicked any mouse buttons or jump. Basically several aliases one continuing from the previous onto the next, so u eliminate need for wait command, it fired about 20 LG cells in a row - separately - before new click was needed.
    The lg attack sound become a bit annoying tho ^^ Hence gave up and deleted the thing, but maybe in future some command can make it a useful thing.

+ Reply to Thread