+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modifying the voice announcer

Junior Member d3lt4_07 is on a distinguished road

Modifying the voice announcer

Hello there,
    As you all know, ql has recently been released on steam. There have been alot of nice updates, with cool new features. Unfortunately, there are bad features too, and I'm here to talk about the new voice announcer. I have lately seen players complaining about the new voice, and I am one of those who dislike it.
    In one of the recent updates, I've read that the files protection (.pk3) have been removed so we now have access to hit without using a random script found in google.
    As I know it is forbidden to change or modify files there (cheats), I am asking if I can make a "mod" to add back the old voice announcer plus trying to make the new ones sound like the old ones. The old-players community would appreciate it, I am pretty sure. Thanks for reading.

ps: I have not read the recent posts, so there might be someone in the forum that have had the same idea, if so then just forget what I've just wrote.
    Last edited by d3lt4_07; 09-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    I doubt devs would allow unpure .pk3's - too abuseable.
    For example, you can create box with spikes which will stick through whole map and then force this as enemy model.
    Real life? Life is real?!

Junior Member LegendLength is on a distinguished road
    I understand that people have different tastes, and some people dislike the new voice. But really it makes zero difference to gameplay and we now have more sayings. I feel like people are complaining because they are pissed off and short sighted to be honest.

Member miSc is on a distinguished road miSc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendLength View Post
    I understand that people have different tastes, and some people dislike the new voice. But really it makes zero difference to gameplay and we now have more sayings. I feel like people are complaining because they are pissed off and short sighted to be honest.
    The voice change is a sentimental / nostalgic issue, not gameplay related (per say)..
    However, over 700 players have signed a petition to get it back for various reasons.

I could argue that the "new" players don't understand the problem. But even "new" playes have complained about the voice, its uninspiring, too soft, not evil enough, too weak, etc etc.

It's the voice of quake, and have been so for a long time.

As for the sayings?.. Do we really need those? No one asked for it, and now the announcer talks constantly.
    Let's agree to disagree, but alot of people don't like it.

Will the petition change anything? Who knows.. most doubt it.
    But you if we can atleast get the devs to re-think it, or consult the playerbase.. Then it's a win.
    >>>> SIGN THE PETITION <<<< - WE WANT THE ORIGINAL VO ANNOUNCER BACK!
    "Wisdom begins in Wonder" - Socrates (470-399 BCE)

Senior Member xdc is on a distinguished road xdc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDoubleU View Post
    I doubt devs would allow unpure .pk3's - too abuseable.
    For example, you can create box with spikes which will stick through whole map and then force this as enemy model.
    they can allow only certain files to by modifiable, not the whole game, like maps, models, etc modifyable sounds like "the enemy has your flag", "red scores", hitbeeps, wouldn't give an advantage to anyone.

the VO announcer doesn't have to be changed back, they can create a cvar instead

Senior Member Vaxwarp is on a distinguished road Vaxwarp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xdc View Post
    they can allow only certain files to by modifiable, not the whole game, like maps, models, etc modifyable sounds like "the enemy has your flag", "red scores", hitbeeps, wouldn't give an advantage to anyone.

the VO announcer doesn't have to be changed back, they can create a cvar instead
    This would be ideal, even put it in the menu, maybe as an option (yeah then you wouldn't hear the new messages, but that'd be the player's choice)

I know, it won't happen. Nothing wrong with ideas though?

Just my opinion, the new guy isn't bad, but it could be processed a little, take the files and redo them thru some effects, downtune that voice just a tiny bit, maybe a little distortion and dirty it up a little, it could be fun. And perhaps a better fit for the quake aesthetic?

Member GoyoElGringo is on a distinguished road
    I don't really care for the old announcer, but adding a cvar to switch back would be great. No bothering with recording the new announcements, just leave them out. I'm sure the people who want the old voice back won't care about that.

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xdc View Post

It's possible, I guess, but that would be a very messy system that checks individual files in packs each time.

Not a big advantage, but you'll be able to mute your own and raise volume of enemy footsteps. Increasing volume of items spawn and pickup. Changing player screams to simpler health reports, just yelling "75", for example.
    And sooner or later people will start blaming devs for announcer being a jerk to them, because they installed some Insult Pack.

Just realized that you'll be able to make a 35 seconds long MH pickup sound that warns you 5 seconds before spawn.
    Last edited by DeeDoubleU; 10-08-2014 at 02:04 AM.
    Real life? Life is real?!

Junior Member ZMRDZHOVEN is on a distinguished road
    i would edit the vo s through some vocoder to make it sound better

+ Reply to Thread