+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Getting DESTROYED in Duels, what am I doing wrong?

Junior Member JarJarBinks590 is on a distinguished road

Angry Getting DESTROYED in Duels, what am I doing wrong?

I've been trying to get better at Duel for some time now, according to Quake Live I should be Tier 3, and QLranks says my Duel ELO is at 975 or so, but I don't know how good that is. I seem to do completely fine in bot practices, but the moment I go play with a real person the game ends at ridiculous scores like 0 to me, 20 to my opponent (I've had severe cases where it's been 7 to -1 by the 2 minute mark, mostly on Aerowalk), where my opponent has like 40% accuracy and me at like 20%. I practice item control sometimes but somehow the other guy always gets there first and I lose control. The thing is almost nobody says anything useful, like "Go watch demos" and sh*t like that.
    Can people please give me some useful advice! Good methods of practice or anything. If I need to give any more info I will do but I don't want this to be too long.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Post a demo of yourself playing so we can see what's going on.

I'm afraid I don't know how to use demos yet :/ How do you do that?

Member malfin is on a distinguished road malfin's Avatar
    if you mean recording put this in you cfg file this (then by pressing d you start recording demo by pressing again you turn it off)
    //[--Demo record on/off toggle--]
    set demoon "record; set nextdemo vstr demooff"
    set demooff "stoprecord; set nextdemo vstr demoon"
    set nextdemo "vstr demoon"
    bind d "vstr nextdemo"

or check something like this : http://www.esreality.com/post/2417481/wolf-whisperer/
    or just search for 'wolfcam' - http://www.wolfcamql.fr/en/
    Last edited by malfin; 08-22-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    when in game hit escape, got to game settings, advanced

auto record options are there.

Senior Member xHawkins is on a distinguished road
    I suggest this Tutorial by twister, of all, it helped me the most tbh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3mmwI6lhy8

Seeing your mistakes in situations "why did i take dmg here and there" etc. really helps improving at certain areas, he explains this all very well.

Senior Member singularity is on a distinguished road
    What region servers do you play on?

If you can play on the Singapore QL Server, Me-esa try and help you-sa out with whatever little I know-sa (I'm Noob-sa FYI so don't expect too much) as well as setup matches for you-sa with similarly ranked ELO players as yourself. Also, don't go purely on ELO as it can be highly misleading at times. (sorry I couldn't resist with the JarJar vernacular).

My advice would be try and find a mentor - ie., a "senior/vetran" QL player who is willing to take you under his wing and explain things to you 1 on 1. This is, IMO, by FAR the fastest and BEST way to learn.

If not, well there are tonnes of tuts on youtube that are very helpful. See these tuts in particular if you can -

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...Pb5nb1NQ73rOSu

Another thing you can do is start playing CA for no reason other than to improve your Aim/Dodge/positioning skills. CA also teaches you other stuff like which weps are effective at what ranges, wep vs wep counters/effectiveness, the differences in various opponent dodging styles etc.

Keep in mind that at the end of the day there's no substitute for real world DUEL practice if thats the mode you are interested in. You can and should also get your hands on QL Demo matches of various pro players and watch them. Qlranks has plenty of "QL MASTER/GRANDMASTER" level downloadable demos. Get them, watch them, try and understand why the Pros do what they do when they do it.

Even IF you could (somehow) view/read all the QL tuts on the planet, they are of little use unless you can use what you learn "in game". QL isn't like other games. Its easy to learn but hard to master. You need to spend time on it - LOTS of time. Remember to be patient. I'm still very much a "Noob" even after 6 months of playing QL. Most pros have been playing it for YEARS.

Also try and find duel opponents who are within 1000-1500 ELO of yourself. If you are 975 Elo player, you will have a hard time vs 1400+ ELO players. Try and find duel players under the 1100 mark and play versus them. As your game improves, start playing stronger players. Think of it like Boxing. If you are just starting to box and you get into the ring with Mike Tyson, well you really have very little chance. The only thing you will learn like this is how to run/hide. Not entirely useless skills in QL BTW but useful only up to a point.

That's how I started myself btw 'cos I had no choice. The active Duel players in my region were all 1300+. I got literally massacred by them. However I kept at it and now I can beat some of them. Just keep at it - your game will improve with time. Don't expect overnight results. Be realistic in your expectations and I assure you, you WILL make noticeable progress.

Good luck!
    Last edited by singularity; 08-23-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Right. I've got a replay I want to upload, I'm now trying to figure out where replays are kept. Where do I go to find them in the files?

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    C:\Users\x\AppData\LocalLow\id Software\quakelive or somewhere similar. At least on Win7.

I don't see anything in there, just a bunch of DLL files and the launcher.

+ Reply to Thread