+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ID Should Remaster Quake

Junior Member trillamark is on a distinguished road

ID Should Remaster Quake

Just a thought,

How awesome would it be if ID was to remaster the original quake? HD resolution yet still awesome gameplay.

The closest we have to this is http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-hd-remastered

Imagine original NQuake with modern stats and leaderboards.

What's your opinions on this? Would you like to see the classic brought back?

Fragging Since NQuake

Member Patrol1985 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by trillamark View Post
    Just a thought,

How awesome would it be if ID was to remaster the original quake? HD resolution yet still awesome gameplay.

The closest we have to this is http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-hd-remastered

Imagine original NQuake with modern stats and leaderboards.

What's your opinions on this? Would you like to see the classic brought back?

I assume you mean "net Quake", not "Nquake". The term "net Quake" for a long time referred to vanilla Quake, as opposed to Quakeworld. "NQuake" is a fairly modern package containing a Quakeworld client with various addons which allow to quickly jump into online multiplayer experience.

Regarding the idea of remaking Quake - I'm against it. As you noticed, that's what the community does anyway, with lots of MODs and what not. I would much rather see a proper sequel to the original Quake, set in a similar setting, but with some actual story and using a modern engine (i.e. "id Tech 6" which is being developed for the new DOOM).

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road
    That would be cool to have an HD remake similar to what is being done with the Halo series.

I would also like what Patrol1985 said.

Here's what the logo should look like.

And lets call it Quake 5: Dynasty.

T-minus how many days id?
    "I love playing against someone and being pressured to win...
    ...and when I am pressured to win, that's when I play my best game." - fatal1ty

Hi Patrol,

Sorry buddy back when Quake was largely played i was roughly five years old and played with my dad.

So back then I didn't know which version of quake was running as there have been quite a few.

Thanks for the harsh explanation... at least i know now.

but yeah that idea of a sequel would be cool, and yeah very happy to hear about DOOM, gonna be out in 2015 I heard?
    Fragging Since NQuake

but yeah that idea of a sequel would be cool, and yeah very happy to hear about DOOM, gonna be out in 2015 I heard?
    There hasn't been a confirmation of the official release date, but if id Software / Zenimax want to achieve success with DOOM they had better release it no further than 2015.

I have this feeling that once they're finally ready to release it, Valve will step in with Half-Life 3 and instantly kill all the hype anyone might have for DOOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrol1985 View Post
    There hasn't been a confirmation of the official release date, but if id Software / Zenimax want to achieve success with DOOM they had better release it no further than 2015.

I have this feeling that once they're finally ready to release it, Valve will step in with Half-Life 3 and instantly kill all the hype anyone might have for DOOM.
    ooo HL3! I recon both would still do well due to the nolgastic element of both game franchises.

As most people I have spoken to want both.
    Fragging Since NQuake

ooo HL3! I recon both would still do well due to the nolgastic element of both game franchises.

As most people I have spoken to want both.
    I'd definitely play both as well, but the problem is, DOOM is driven mostly by nostalgia now. It was "the game that propelled FPS into the mainstream", but Half-Life caused perhaps an even bigger revolution by introducing actual story and (what's even more important) a specific way of narrating it.

Although I think Doom 3 was a very good game, the vast majority of people considered it somewhat underachieving and flawed. Slower than its predecessors, full of annoying "jump scares" which did little to build atmosphere, but frustrated people instead. The dilemma of either walking around with a gun in pitch black darkness, or a flashlight and no instant capability to defend yourself. Compulsory slow downs, because you have to listen to a log to hear some crucial keycode, etc. etc.

...meanwhile, "HL2:episode 2" left people wanting MORE. I have never heard a bad word about this game. This "hidden hype" is still there, after all these years. "HL3 confirmed" is a goddamn meme!

What I'm driving at is that Valve doesn't really need marketing, an official piece of news about HL3 would cause more response than everything we've heard about the new Doom thus far.

If HL3 comes out before Doom, id Software is toast. That will truly be the end of it. Half-life overshadowed Quake 2, Counter-strike overshadowed Quake 3, Half-Life 2 overshadowed Doom 3 and Valve has been ticking off success after success ever since. Meanwhile, id Software released Rage, which was globally remembered as a failure. For me, it's literally the best single-player FPS I have ever played. It trumps all Half-Life games in my book... but it's the masses that count for publishers.

I agree 100 % regarding Doom 3.

I enjoyed the game for a little while but then the game seemed to drag on with the same structure.. Like you said jumpscare after jumpscare.

However I heard for "DOOM" oldschool features such as fast gameplay mechanics, good old double jump ect.

I also heard that they took note from the Brutal Doom mod for original DOOM and are addign fatalities, such as pulling out the hearts of the demons which is pretty cool.

So the return of old style doom should bring in more attention???

HL3 I heard is set to release on Source2 which again is exciting.

So did you play any online quake?
    Fragging Since NQuake

So did you play any online quake?
    The first part? Yeah, I played some Quakeworld. I haven't really played vanilla Quake over the Internet, but I put quite a significant amount of hours into it on LAN.

Senior Member IonicAftershock is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol1985 View Post
    Slower than its predecessors, full of annoying "jump scares" which did little to build atmosphere, but frustrated people instead.
    Yeah jump scares are tough to pull off. The margin of error is really small. They have to be at the right moment.
    "I love playing against someone and being pressured to win...
    ...and when I am pressured to win, that's when I play my best game." - fatal1ty

+ Reply to Thread