+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Download WHY?!

Junior Member Sotsialyst is on a distinguished road

Angry Download WHY?!

My connection is 56k download. I already waited half a night to download all the launcher. Now that I'm up and running, I STILL have to wait on the slow download of an arena's pk3 file before every match. Why weren't those included in the launcher download? Am I doing something wrong?

Senior Member Chibers will become famous soon enough Chibers's Avatar
    You will have a brutal time playing in public servers with 56k. May be worth looking into better internet, or a different game entirely, unless ofc you don't mind the challenge of that issue.
    #TATW
    It's more fun when you're mellow

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    56k download
    Its 1998 all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hows your ball mice dude? I heard about Google...it's supposed to be a new search engine or something. Won't beat AOL for sure, ha!
    Did you play StarCraft? Im about to buy it next week...but I'm still waiting for that Half-Life. Some dudes from VALVe are doing it..never heard of them...I wonder will it ever compare to Quake 2? I'll stick to my Gameboy Color for now.

Hah, man, 56kbps is unheard-of today. QL is made for broadband Internet that's standard now.
    DON'T play @ 56kbps in QL. Just-don't.
    Q * ]Q[* Q]|[A * QL
    ...and still playing!
    JOIN THE DRUNK CLAN!
    Remember, if you happen to join our clan, you can be drunk during each and every match in QL and GET AWAY WITH IT.
    http://qldrunkclan.proboards.com/

lets C H I L L !
    Visit and ask Doc for your medication.
    http://qlchill.proboards.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    In ql the other weapons started to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabeebDaPro View Post
    anywas hope rocket lawnchairs r neffed, becuz they mak me mad n get iolet so no noob can spam nd win like idot

Senior Member Davion67 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotsialyst
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Yes, yes you are. You are trying to play online games with dial-up and it's the year 2014. You can get broadband for $15/mo in like 99% of the world these days, time to switch, or don't get on the internet and complain about how slow it is.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quakelive's data directory is actually 956mb with over 140 maps.
    s a free user you download a subset of that, and then if a server is running another map you have to download it before you can finish connecting.

They only way to avoid this is to buy a subscription and then the launcher would download them all in advance.

No one on broadband tends to care though as 80% of the maps are under 5mb, and only about 12% are over 10mb.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Also the MINIMUM system requirements http://www.quakelive.com/#!faq

state ISDN or IDSL Narrowband

Junior Member Cyanogendroid is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotsialyst View Post
    My connection is 56k download. I already waited half a night to download all the launcher. Now that I'm up and running, I STILL have to wait on the slow download of an arena's pk3 file before every match. Why weren't those included in the launcher download? Am I doing something wrong?
    If you're still using a 56K Dial up connection, find a better way of getting to the internet or consider playing Quake 3 Arena. I believe there are a few servers up for it.

Never ever ever ever try playing QL with that. Ever.

Junior Member eksy is on a distinguished road
    but quake is kinda bloated, i am not sure if we need music and maps to download on first run, many people quit after first map.

Senior Member CPTcman is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by eksy View Post
    but quake is kinda bloated, i am not sure if we need music and maps to download on first run, many people quit after first map.
    Bloated? How? Read Yakumo' post. Most modern games are GB's worth of downloads.

Senior Member Davion67 is on a distinguished road
    By comparison, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a 44GB download. you can hardly call QL bloated at just a few hundred MBs

+ Reply to Thread