+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips for dying less

Junior Member TheThorne is on a distinguished road TheThorne's Avatar

Tips for dying less

Hi

Some of you may know me from Eu servers, most wont but I tend to play on quite experienced FFA servers where the playesr are usually better than me and certainly play more, I have been Tier 4 but I am now Tier 3 again. Compared to most players who come top or near top I have been playing for a relatively short time , only 5 days in game time but I have Q3 and veteran gaming experience. I have good aim, decent accuracy, know the maps pretty well and can normally come top 5 or top 25% of a server. But my issue is I die too much. Even when I am 2nd or 3rd I often have the highest deaths.

I guess it has to do with where you head from spawn but I always feel I am in a rock/paper/scissors situation and lose it too many times, I just cant get to a 1st weapon quick enough or I am ambushed when I get there, yes I could stick with MG and might get a cheap kill or 2 but meanwhile there are guys who are leaving me behind. Once I have the right weapon and get comfortable I can often get a decent streak together , its getting to that point I struggle with. Any tips?

Senior Member Cat will become famous soon enough Cat will become famous soon enough Cat's Avatar
    Generally it means you're being too aggressive off the spawn. Get the RA timing, snipe it, then (assuming you have a weapon) start killing folks. Shoot people in the back as much as possible rather than picking fair fights.

Junior Member LoNeZiLLa is on a distinguished road
    Maybe you're focusing/thinking too much.
    That's usually my problem when I'm starting to struggle in a match.

When you do get comfortable and get a streak going.. you're probably not thinking hard at all.
    But when you're struggling, the only thing you're doing is over-thinking situations.

Senior Member stownr will become famous soon enough stownr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoNeZiLLa View Post
    Maybe you're focusing/thinking too much.
    That's usually my problem when I'm starting to struggle in a match.

When you do get comfortable and get a streak going.. you're probably not thinking hard at all.
    But when you're struggling, the only thing you're doing is over-thinking situations.
    This is great advice and spot on imo

Member inertiacreeP is on a distinguished road
    lately i've been watching some commentaries, visje is pretty good. he has some POV vids, and some of him commentating. to players have excellent aim, but they don't chase frags much or charge in mindlessly. they gear up well and maintain pretty good positioning.

https://www.youtube.com/user/visje190/videos

there's lots of vids of good FFA players on youtube, but what they do may not work for you. they have better aim, dodging, game sense, etc. but you can pick up some good tactics and strategies to experiment with.

here's a good article on how to think in game by DDK, a top player. link. TL;DR you can have the best guns, positioning and timing, but you always have a chance to lose or die. aim could falter, or the other guy could do something incredible and steal a frag, etc. so don't feel bad if things don't work out-- feel good that you attempted to analyze the situation and tried to execute the best strategy. that's the best you can do. the rest is up to aim, nerves and luck.

example, don't go into an FFA trying to get 1st place. the chance of that happening is small. try to avoid any risky fights (if you feel confident you can steal a frag with MG go ahead) and try to find a good gun. i remember visje saying he liked staying away until he had at least 150ish (i think?) hp or armor. once you have a good gun (or two), understand where you can use it, be careful in rooms where it's not as effective, or decide if you should run away for now. even when you feel you're on even ground vs someone, it can be a waste of effort anyway, just move on for more power ups and an easier fight.

rapha is a great dueler.. he plays very smart and conservative. since you never have a 100% chance to frag or win, he tends to only fight you if he has a high chance of winning. there was some quote? rapha only ever fights you with a weapon you don't want to use, haha, something like that.

on the flip side you see a lot of players with a strenx style of play which is extremely aggressive. if your aim is good enough you can try to kill kill kill without being as tactical. but if it's not working out for you, try to play smarter and more conservative. you'll live longer, and your aim will develop anyway.
    Last edited by inertiacreeP; 07-12-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Senior Member lowlife1 is on a distinguished road lowlife1's Avatar
    As a Tier 2 CA player, playing only in 3,4 and unrestricted Rooms(mostly 4), I find when I start getting a few Frags, and start doing well, I start to get lazy. Sort of a warm fuzzy feeling that this is great. Then it all goes sour. Allways keep your guard up. If possible and learn from your mistakes.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    You don't say what sort of servers you're playing on. If it's 16 man FFA then the tactics are completely different from 6 or 8 player games. On maps which are really busy don't worry about dying or timing anything particularly. It's just a matter of grabbing a weapon and getting stuck in. The better your accuracy, the better. MG and gauntlet kills will matter. On bigger maps with less players it's more like duel - timing resources, staying alive and getting power ups are important.

Basically you need to adapt your tactics throughout the game as players join or leave and the dynamic changes.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member xXApathyXx is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPossible View Post
    You don't say what sort of servers you're playing on. If it's 16 man FFA then the tactics are completely different from 6 or 8 player games. On maps which are really busy don't worry about dying or timing anything particularly. It's just a matter of grabbing a weapon and getting stuck in. The better your accuracy, the better. MG and gauntlet kills will matter. On bigger maps with less players it's more like duel - timing resources, staying alive and getting power ups are important.

Basically you need to adapt your tactics throughout the game as players join or leave and the dynamic changes.
    Yet it seems like the majority of FFA players, at least in NA, don't like to time items and loathe it when others do so, especially if it's powerups, but yes, do this anyway.

Senior Member Lolzy will become famous soon enough Lolzy's Avatar
    Simple rules for dying less in FFA

1) Quit spawnpoint imemdiately and disappear until youre stacked. Dumbest thing to do is charge enemies with MG right after spawn.
    2) Break a fight you cant win and run.
    3) If you cant wrestle quad/pu control for yourself early on, run away from quad as you will only become cannon fodder.
    4) When you see PUed player, run away unless you're *very* certain of your aim/stack and his low hp/armor level.
    5) In FFA enemies tend to group and tend to themselves. Circle them but dont jump into the group itself. Provide pain from a safe distance.
    6) STACK STACK STACK
    7) Dont think about score. More often than not players, especially the ones trailing the leading wolf, get a completely unwarranted pressure to catch up with his score. Don't look @ scoreboard. Even turn it off if it bothers you too much. Think about THE GAME and YOUR OWN FUN. When youre good and luck is on your side you will win. Otherise - bah, it's just a game.
    Q * ]Q[* Q]|[A * QL
    ...and still playing!
    JOIN THE DRUNK CLAN!
    Remember, if you happen to join our clan, you can be drunk during each and every match in QL and GET AWAY WITH IT.
    http://qldrunkclan.proboards.com/

lets C H I L L !
    Visit and ask Doc for your medication.
    http://qlchill.proboards.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    In ql the other weapons started to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by HabeebDaPro View Post
    anywas hope rocket lawnchairs r neffed, becuz they mak me mad n get iolet so no noob can spam nd win like idot

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    ...some wisdom...
    Nothing to argue with there. And don't forget, it's still entirely possible to win a FFA and have the most deaths. I just love the mayhem of 16 players on a small map and trying to shoot as many people as I can. I'll hit 250k deaths long before I get my dark angel badge: it's just a number at the end of the day.

+ Reply to Thread