+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG accuracies.

Junior Member elleHOOQ is on a distinguished road

LG accuracies.

Hi,

I've been playing quakelive since it came out, and I even played quake 3 osp around 2005. I've always loved duel, and I know the tactics really well, and have a great feel for the times of the items even when I'm too lazy to calculate using the clock, but for some reason I'm not a very high skilled player. Looking at the stats after the end of games I've noticed I usualy get more items than my opponents, but somehow they do WAAAAAY more damage than me. I'm pretty sure this is because my LG accuracy is too low. In games very often I get 15-20 accuracy which is sub par, and my opponent will get 25-30+. Any tips on bringing it up? Is there a technique to LG that I haven't heard of. Maybe I need lower sens, and less acceleration? Could it be my mouse (Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500)?

If you think you know the secret of doing tons of LG damage when an opponent is moving left and right please let me know

Note: I get solid 125 fps so that isn't the issue.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elleHOOQ View Post
    Hi,
    Any tips on bringing it up?

Links section of The Ultimate Quake Live Guide
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ull=1#post6118

Junior Member elleHOOQ is on a distinguished road
    Thanks!
    Maybe I should have googled it

Junior Member towel is on a distinguished road
    maybe a duel demo? and what hardware/cfg you're using.

it could very well be your mouse holding you back, the mouse is mediocre from what i can tell after googling it. and it can't be overclocked above 125hz, meaning you have 8ms input lag on your mouse. look into the G100s (lower max speed, not suitable for very low sens), Zowie FK, G400s, or Deathadder 2013. get a mousepad if you don't have one. a 144hz monitor with low input lag will help too if you can afford it.

anyway just practice holding your mouse still while dodging back and forth. you can practice this on any point on the map or by trying to keep the LG mark on a wall as small as possible.

most players just dodge back and forth rapidly at the same rate. if you hold your mouse still in the middle point of their dodge the edges of their hitbox will just walk back and forth into your crosshair and you'll hit 30-40%+ on these players.

if they throw in a long dodge into their dodges then you need to readjust your crosshair, but you shouldn't overreact. and if you can, like the concept before, keep your crosshair on the edge of their hitbox opposite to the direction their heading, so if they change direction they're going to walk through your crosshair.

if you're overreacting and throwing your crosshair off, then you need to probably lower your sensitivity.

Member mmaluco is on a distinguished road
    Did you already consider training (or warming up) your LG with bots? Its really easy, open your console and type:

devmap almostlost
    addbot bones 3 red
    addbot bones 3 red
    addbot bones 3 red
    join team blue
    god
    g_infiniteammo 1

Now you meet in the center of the map and you can practice different aiming methods without any pressure. Glue your corsshair on your enemy and try different movements (big circles, strafing left and right, bigger strafes left and right, you get the deal). Try different grips on your mouse (claw grip, palm grip) and just aim at the bots until you feel comfortable. Try different settings until you hit at least 40% acc on the bots. Remember your settings and the feeling you got when you go in online combat.

Also, consider a lower sensitivity for your LG. A really simple example for 2 weapon binds with different sensitivitys would be:
    bind q "weapon 6; sensitivity 2; cl_mouseaccel 0" //LG with sensitivity 2 without accel
    bind r "weapon 5; sensitivity 4; cl_mouseaccel 1" //RL with sensitivity 4 with accel

You can bind any command with your weapons, a valid bind would be for example:
    bind q "weapon 6; cg_fov 110; sensitivity 2; cg_drawgun 3; cg_gunX -10; cg_gunY 2.7; cg_gunZ -8; cg_crosshairHitStyle 2; cg_drawcrosshair 2;cg_crosshairsize 24"

Lowering my sensitivity for LG has greatly improved my aim. Also, playing and warming up regurarely with bots has giving me some decent tracking abilititys. Nothing exceptional, but it helped me.

Mouse accel is a quite complicated topic, Yakumo made excellent posts about this in his link.
    Last edited by mmaluco; 05-21-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Senior Member Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo has a spectacular aura about Yakumo's Avatar
    nb. you can't just put weapon changes on the one weapon, as once set, they wouldn't be unset on any other weapon, so if you start changing one thing on one weapon, you have to have that setting change again (or revert) on every single other weapon.

Member mmaluco is on a distinguished road
    Oh, i forgot to mention that
    Yes, you should bind every command you need on every weapon to reverse/change settings.

Junior Member ROBO is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

Total noob here but one this I found out yesterday when a really nice T5 duel player stumbled upon my lonely server and ended up spending 30 minutes giving me advice is...

The LG hitscan isn't instant like the RG or SG.

He told me to enter cg_truelightning 0 and then move my mouse around while firing. You'll see how your true path is actually moving. This doesn't happen while strafing though, so if they're med distance, strafe instead of moving your mouse (or use both at least) to ensure higher accuracy. He did then add to change it to cg_truelightning .8 or similar as otherwise it's a bit annoying on screen.

Maybe something you already know and I'm a terrible Duel player so I can't give any advice other than that random bit of info I learnt yesterday.

Hope it helps at all

cg_truelightning 0 is completely broken in QL due to the prediction code changes, it should never be used.
    Sponge actually said truelightning 1 is the most technically accurate display of it's position with QLs backward reconcilliation.

Some players like lower values, but that will be because chasing the noodle helps them under-steer which counters the most common human error when tracking, which is overshooting when the target shifts.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBO View Post
    He told me to enter cg_truelightning 0 and then move my mouse around while firing. You'll see how your true path is actually moving. This doesn't happen while strafing though, so if they're med distance, strafe instead of moving your mouse (or use both at least) to ensure higher accuracy. He did then add to change it to cg_truelightning .8 or similar as otherwise it's a bit annoying on screen.
    Just nitpicking, but after much testing I'm not convinced that truelightning 0 is the 'true' path of the LG. It's hard to say what exactly it is though, maybe the path + some odd shaky rendering delay.

+ Reply to Thread