+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Collaborative map building?

Member vag_gap is on a distinguished road

Collaborative map building?

I'm wondering if anyone did this. That means, build a map not all alone (except testing), but simultaneously with a group of people, maybe a team of 2-4 members.

Which techniques/strategies did you use then and was it cool or not? I guess, "general purpose" version control systems like Git or Mercurial are not suitable for mapping?

I'm asking because I certainly have too little time to do something cool before I "burn out", but if this is possible, I wish to collaborate.

Member OXOTHuK is on a distinguished road
    The only way you can divide the work, when one creates a structure, and the second draws the textures and shaders.
    It is hard to imagine that the two did the level in parallel, it's like two artist would draw one picture.
    Or, may be, one acts as the generator of the idea with his edits 10-15%, the second makes 85-90% of the structure, and then again textures and shaders to hang up on the first or third.

[Единственное, как можно разделить труд, это когда один создаёт структуру, второй рисует текстуры и шейдеры.
    Тяжело представить, чтобы двое делали уровень параллельно, это как два художника рисовали бы одну картину.
    Либо, возможен такой вариант, один выступает в роли генератора идея со своими правками 10-15%, второй делает 85-90% структуры, и тут опять же текстуры и шейдеры повесить на первого, либо на третьего.]
    Last edited by OXOTHuK; 05-12-2014 at 03:05 AM.
    OXOTHuK [RUS] = Hunter [ENG]
    My page

Volunteer Moderator Sarge is on a distinguished road
    OXOTHuK, please stick to the english language on these forums. Non-English posts will be deleted. Thank you.

Member OXOTHuK is on a distinguished road
    Fixed.
    On 2 languages?
    OXOTHuK [RUS] = Hunter [ENG]
    My page

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road
    There have been mapping events in the past where mappers would pass along a map and continue it however they like. However for collaborative projects it is more common to work on a back and forth basis. Team up with someone and send the .map file back and forth. Discuss changes, keep a changelog and a todo list.
    Unfortunately truly simultanous working on the same map file is not possible as radiant does not support anything like that.

+ Reply to Thread